• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Cylinder

64 383 fury

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
1964 Plymouth Fury
What is the proper way to loosen the bolts that hold on the wheel cylinder.
I used wd40 let it work over night, but I have a hard time getting a wrench on the bolt.
Your suggestions are welcome and thank you for your time.

Well if you plan on replacing them, then don't be afraid to twist them off. You'll just have to get new bolts.

I've rebuilt them right on the car but I prefer to by new ones with a warranty. Quicker too.

If you insist on removing them, try a little heat to loosen the bolts.

Are you talking about the front cylinders? I have a gooseneck closed end wrench similar to a distributor wrench but not bent as much. Gives me enough bite going behind the knuckle. If the cylinders are original, rebuild if the bores are decent. Even if they aren't, they can be sleeved with stainless. The new ones have small bleeder valves and in my experience don't seal too great.

I'm talking about the front ones. I ground a open end wrench sides down and then thinned it. Work ok. The cylinder are not original. Thanks for the help I will pick one up today.

Auto Transport Service
Back