• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel cylinders, anyone still make them with correct diameter bleeders?

idrivemopar

Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
So, it would seem that all the aftermarket brands of rear wheel cylinders for 73 with 11 inch drums have under size bleeder valves. Originals were 5/16, but after market are 1/4 and they also have an extremely long tap into the cylinder. Unfortunately I couldn't rebuild my originals as they had too much pitting due to corrosion.

Anyone know who might have the right ones?

Did ya ask for a different year?

No, asked for correct year and make of car. But, I may have answered my own question, found http://www.bendixcatalog.com, and they have all the specs for their parts, and summit carries the bendix stuff! If you see their part number for the bleeder listed with the part, then look up the bleeder, you can tell what size it is. Maybe I am on to something here.

Cool, let us know how it turns out.

Glad you found them. After 2 or 3 defective parts from Rock Auto, I finally realized the local NAPA had some nice aftermarket pieces with a big MADE IN USA cast right into the body. Wrong size bleeder but that wasn't a consideration for me.

So, with the wheel cylinders I currently have, a couple of things, and this may not matter to most folks, but the bleeder shaft is 1/4 diameter, originals are supposed to be 5/16, and the bleeder is much longer then the original or correct OEM replacement at 1.25inches, should be 1.0 inch length. It also has odd size head, 9/64. Now, most standard wrench sets don't have that size so it makes it more difficult when bleeding as you have to open close by hand instead of using a wrench to open close, and may not fully seat when closing by hand. This is a also a problem when using speed bleeders as they don't fit because the cylinder has this odd size bleeder.

Aside from that, I read through a lot of comments from people that have purchased the ones currently on my car and on various sites, people have reported an issue due to the design of the thread and shaft length that these can actually pull air in around the threads when bleeding, and I believe I have seen this problem when bleeding as I have seen very tiny bubbles in my bleeder hose and this leads to never being able to completely get the air out of the cylinder.

I guess this is a symptom of stuff being made in China, as most of the aftermarket replacements are made there, so in my hunt, I found the Bendix site, and they have ones with the correct OEM bleeder size etc. So I will give these a try and see how it goes!

By the way, I did find out when I ordered my Bendix wheel cylinders, that Bendix stuff is actually made in Italy.

I had always luck with Raybestos wheel cylinders.. they are Made in USA ... not like Wagner...Made in China.
Greetings Juergen

I had always luck with Raybestos wheel cylinders.. they are Made in USA ... not like Wagner...Made in China.
Greetings Juergen

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have checked 5 brands, including Bendix, Wagner, and Raybestos, and all are made in China. You could literally take them all out of the boxes and put them in a pile, and there would be no way to tell which ones came from what box. I do however have a couple of people checking some other sources that still may have the older Raybestos stock. I'm on a mission now to find the right ones!

Like i said earlier, NAPA's premium brand came with MADE IN USA cast into the body.

I've had some of the same issues with current "production" cylinders for my 10" '72 brakes. BTW, 9/32 is also 8mm (I think it's the 8mm side--but it's a normal metric bleeder-screw size), so you can grab a metric bleeder wrench (for the newer cars) and have one that fits...although I'm with you--I hate it.

As far as them pulling air back into the system, I've always had issues with that regardless of sizes, but yes, I agree that these new-spec wheel cylinders are worse. I cured it by vacuum bleeding to about 95% then doing the last couple of pumps the old-fashioned way....but my wife is more than willing to pump brakes for me.

I've also had success with putting a little thread-seal (not thread-lock) in the threads of the bleeder screws -- a little trick I learned from the speed-bleeders I have on the fronts. It's not perfect, but it helps a ton.

Like i said earlier, NAPA's premium brand came with MADE IN USA cast into the body.

This unfortunately is no longer the case, NAPA website shows the made in USA casting, but in reality, went to NAPA this morning, and they have the same Made in China stuff as do all the other places I have looked.

If you find a set that is still made here with the casting let me know.

This unfortunately is no longer the case, NAPA website shows the made in USA casting, but in reality, went to NAPA this morning, and they have the same Made in China stuff as do all the other places I have looked.

If you find a set that is still made here with the casting let me know.

I guess their stock varies, because i only did mine about 8 or 9 months ago. Call the one in South Plainfield, NJ, thats where i hunted mine down. It's a regional distrobution center. Maybe they'll ship one to ya. The guys there are good too, just ask them to check the casting and i bet they will.

Dan

Well, I managed to find a set that are correct, actually John at Mopar Madness had a set from old inventory from Raybestos with the correct bleeders. I installed them today, and have gained a lot of firmness in the pedal, but still need to adjust the shoes on the drums, and I think all will be good. Anyway, here are some pictures of what the originals, Raybestos, and the cheap China ones look like in case if anyone is interested.

20131129_134834small.jpg
20131129_134635small.jpg
20131129_134729small.jpg

...looks that I am buying all your USA made stuff:eusa_whistle: Everytime when I am lookin for Spareparts.... the first view is Are the parts US Made if so...I buy them ..CHINA ? NO WAY !

Bought 4 pairs of USA made Wheel cylinders.. so I have 6 cylinders still siting on the shelf.... 2 Master cylinders...( still one spare... )All made inUSA real good Stuff ! Never failed...

The Spark Plugs I found here in Germany...friend of mine runs a autoparts store He had one box of these NOS
Champion spark plugs.. saw them....bought them...:yes:

Greetings Juergen

Attachments

• IMG_0100 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_0100 (Kopie).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0101 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_0101 (Kopie).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0102 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_0102 (Kopie).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 171