• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel size question

70 RR

Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
I have a 70 Roadrunner and I want to install a set of ET Street 295 55-15s on the rear and I wonder what size backspace I can get away with? I currently have BF Goodrich Comp on 275 60-15 with an 8'' rim 4.5 backspace. I want to buy an OEM steel 15x10 and the smallest amount of backspace I can locate is 5.5''. I have about 1.75'' clearance between my current tires and the leaf springs. Anyone out there run 295 55-15 and what do you use? I don't want to have to modify anything if I can help it.

The closest I ever ran to a P295/55R15 was a BFG P295/50R15. I used a 10" wide steel Magnum 500 wheel from Marsh Racing Wheels that had 4-7/8" back spacing. These fit perfectly on my 1969 Road Runner. As far as I can remember, 68-70 B-bodies shared the same axle housing width and track width. Thus, this size wheel should work well for you, too.

Ron, do you recall how much room you had between the tire and the leaf with that set-up?

Yep, it was about 5/8". I had to roll the inner lip on the wheelhouse just a bit for clearance, too. Man, that's a lotta tire....

edit: I had no issues with tire scraping while driving straight, no matter what the speed. I had to roll the wheelhouse lips for cornering, only. However, I do believe a new set of leaf spring bushings would have helped that problem, too.

- - - Updated - - -

The only pic I have of the car with the 295's on it.... wish it was from the rear...

RR2.jpg

Make sure you check the clearance to the inner wheelwells also. When ordering custom backspace wheels for my Charger, I was worried about the springs and fender lip. Turns out I have more room to my springs than the inner wheelwell and ended up using spacers to clear.

For my '69 Super Bee, I just installed a 15x10 steel wheel with 5.5" back spacing along with the MT ET Street Radial 295/55-15 this past weekend. Fits perfectly. Will post a photo later tonight.

Here's the wheel/tires tucked in my fenders

IMG_0908.jpgIMG_0912.jpgIMG_0907.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0898.jpg

Thanks Lee, that's the same set-up I was going to try. Should be the same for my 70 RR I would think. Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Just curious 440Beep, where did you get your wheels and did you measure before you bought the MT ET Street 295 55-15 or did you just wing it? I was going to go with the 275 60-15 ETs but I wanted more rubber on the road. I was really worried about the 1'' more backspace on the wheels I ordered but you gave me the confidence to not cancel.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -[/C

Hahahaha, funny you should ask. I got the wheels either from Jegs or Summit, they're the Wheel Vintiques Chrylser steel wheel. They had the best pricing plus free delivery. I read around on here of others using the 15x10 with 5.5" backspacing so knew the wheels would fit.

The tires were another story. Being the dumbass I am, I originally bought the ET's in size 325, thinking they would fit. Not a chance, hit the leaf spring and fender lip. So went down to the 295s as I saw others here who were running the 295s. I also have 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing steel wheels with the 275 MT ET on too. The 275s look too small in the fender well. The 295s look killer now!!!!! Not sure if the 315s would fit consdering how close the 295s are. FYI - you can kiss good bye the crowd pleasing tire incineration shows with these. The MT ET's really hook up!!!

Hopefully your 70 RR has the same rear fender space my 69 Bee has. From what I gather on here, I'm thinking you should be safe.

Just curious 440Beep, where did you get your wheels and did you measure before you bought the MT ET Street 295 55-15 or did you just wing it? I was going to go with the 275 60-15 ETs but I wanted more rubber on the road. I was really worried about the 1'' more backspace on the wheels I ordered but you gave me the confidence to not cancel.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -[/C

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked, got the wheels from Summit. They don't "fee" you like Jegs does with shipping.

I'm a dumbass myself! I live about 30 minutes from Summit and ordered my wheels from a place in Nevada... The price was the same and although I avoided sales tax, I paid 63 bucks in shipping (about a loss of 40 bucks). I swear sometimes I scare myself with stupidity....

440beep, Summit (currently) only lists the 15x10 with a 4.5" backspacing. Did you get 5.5"? Or was it a typo. Want to run the same setup on my 69 RR and would love to have as much tire as I can stuff in there.

I have the 5.5 backspace. I bought the wheels from a place called The Mopar Shop. I have to wait to get them until the 15th! Summit would have had them here today.View attachment 198011

- - - Updated - - -

Smokngun. Go to Summit and search wheels, then narrow to Vintiques, then 15"", then 10"", then 5x4.5. That wheel pops right up.

Thanks, got it now. I messed up and clicked 4.5" for backspacing instead of 4.5" for bolt circle. (guess that's why it only listed a 4.5" backspace...duh).

It happens...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.themoparshop.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2806

Got my 295 55-15 tires mounted on the OEM Mopar steel 10"x 15, 5'5 backspace and they are a perfect fit! Thanks for the input guys...0715141206a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back