• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel spacers

Garfield X Cruz

Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
I own a 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee with a 6.3 liter 383. I bought some US MAG U104 wheels 15/8 back and 15/7 front. The fronts look good, the backs are not wide enough. I fitted them (rear) with 295-50-15. And still have 2 inches to fill up under the wheel well. The rim was a “0” offset and I was told if I want a deep dish I would need to custom order them at around $630.00 a piece!?! I would like to install spacers on the rear and have no idea where to start. Dimensions and all that elude me. I do know that hub centric is the way to go, and that’s all I know. Any info you can give me would be quite appreciated.

Wheel spacers are not a good idea. Especially if you intend 1 or more inches. You may experience wheel bearing problems or break the studs off. The spacers increase the leverage the wheel applies to the axle and fasteners.

You would be better to save up and do the job right.

4 speed or Auto ? I ran 3/8'' spacers on my drag only car(auto,4'' studs) for years to get tire clearance.It was only about 300 rear wheel HP. If you got a killer 383 and a stick I'd maybe look elsewhere. steve340 has got a point.

I have ran the same billet aluminum adapters for YEARS on the same car, burnouts and every other thing. simple answer is get you a couple 1" thick , 5 on 4 1/2" BILLET aluminum adapters. do not buy the cast aluminum . torque them to spec and enjoy. those things are STRONG. hell , there are guys out there tearing up rock piles with 900 horsepower using 2" thick adapters without fail.

Sorry to say in my opinion the spacers are only as STRONG as what you fasten them to.
If your axle snaps of the spacer will almost surely survive the crash and can be reused.

You may experience wheel bearing problems or break the studs off. The spacers increase the leverage the wheel applies to the axle and fasteners.

What's the difference between a spacer increasing the leverage or the wheel offset doing the same ? Absolutely nothing !! I'm no fan of spacers but the above is not a valid argument.

As to the OP's dilemma, most quality wheels come in a variety of offsets - at no additional cost. That said, did you just buy cheap junk or did you buy them from some shyster who is giving you the gears?!? Anyhow, if you really want to fill that void nicely, sell what you have and step up to a 10" wheel and fatter tire. Only THIS TIME do your homework !!

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." Ever heard that one ? Very true. Spacers and adapters are "band-aids" to cover an error or improper application. Proper applications don't need spacers. Get the right stuff. You will be glad you did in the long run. Sell the spacers to the guys here that say they use them.

Auto Transport Service
Back