• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 Wheel Quality

67GTX440

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
I have had Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 wheels from Summit Racing on my car for a little over two years and the car has been driven maybe 500 miles in only dry weather during that time. The car has sat exposed to humidity, but under a roof, in a body shop for almost two years with the wheels under cloth paint covers most of that time. These wheels seem like rust just waiting for a place to happen. I can't believe how easily they rust spot. I have cleaned the wheels with chrome cleaner three times during the almost two years in the body shop and have added a chrome protectant after cleaning all three time. This has not stopped new rust spots from forming.

Is the quality of the chrome finish on these wheels really bad? Does anyone make a reproduction Magnum 500 where the chrome finish hold up better? I am guessing it would be cost prohibitive to have these rechromed as opposed to buying some other wheels.

Has anyone else had the same experience with these wheels? I would hate to see what they would look like on a driver exposed to the elements on a daily basis.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,457
  • IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 921
Yeah I noticed the same thing with the set I bought too. They are crap. I sold them a while ago. I'm going to buy the Magnum 500s from Specialty Wheel for my Coronet. They are better quality. I bought 15" Road Wheels for the Charger from them a few years ago, they are holding up great.

8-23-14 wedding-4-X3.jpg8-23-14 wedding-20-X3.jpg8-23-14 wedding-28-X3.jpg

Wow!
Thanks for this info!
I am getting ready to purchase the Magnum 500s and "Wheel Vintiques" was "tops" on my list!

Are Wheel Vintiques made in china?

i was gonna say your cloth covers may have held in moisture,but after 69chargerboy's post i guess not.

A friend has wheel vintiques on his Torino, six months old and he has to constantly remove rust. He washes the car, the wheels start to rus.t The car sits in a heated garage as well. I'm checking out specialty as well.

The Wheel Vintiques web site says they are made in America.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/muscle.html

Specialty wheels say they are made in America also, and they look like they only run about $5.00 more a wheel than wheel vintiques.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar/chrysler-magnum.html

Maybe I need to put the Specialty Wheel chrome trim rings on my crappy looking Wheel Vintiques wheels as that would cover the part of the wheel chrome most prone to rust. They seem to rust most on the very lip of the rim at bottom dead center. I would think wheels waxed on a car under cover and not driven would pretty much be immune to rust. I should of swapped the wheels after the body shop instead of before, but I was initially planning on driving the car a year or two before getting into body work and paint.

Yeah I noticed the same thing with the set I bought too. They are crap. I sold them a while ago. I'm going to buy the Magnum 500s from Specialty Wheel for my Coronet. They are better quality. I bought 15" Road Wheels for the Charger from them a few years ago, they are holding up great.
From what I've heard, Specialty Wheel bought Wheel Vintiques or visa versa and they both have the same issue now.

Beautiful Charger 69chargerboy!

Buy these.

m500.jpg

m500.jpg

great, now no choices.
I wish I had bought two sets 12 years ago. The set I bought then have never rusted, and they have been wet many, many times.

From what I've heard, Specialty Wheel bought Wheel Vintiques or visa versa and they both have the same issue now.

Beautiful Charger 69chargerboy!

Buy these.

View attachment 254109

Only $1414 for four for American Racing in 15 x 7, and that includes centers and lugs, but no shipping. I would rather have a well made an chrome plated steel wheel than cast aluminum. The 96 Viper GTS came out with cast aluminum wheels and they were quickly changed to forged wheels that looked identical due to issues with cracks from cornering. The cast aluminum wheels held up fine for drag racing, but not for road course.

http://www.carid.com/american-racing-wheels/ar500-black-polished-479796.html

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 253961View attachment 253962View attachment 253963

That is one beautiful Charger in one beautiful color. I can see why Cranium is going this direction with his latest project.

I got Rallye's from Summit and they are rusting and my wheel guy says one is bent. Few miles, not bent by me. I need two 14" Rallye's that are straight.

Only $1414 for four for American Racing in 15 x 7, and that includes centers and lugs, but no shipping. I would rather have a well made an chrome plated steel wheel than cast aluminum.
They must have seen you coming, never pay retail, I paid less than $800 (free shipping) for two 15x10 and two 15x8. I can still buy 15x10 for $256 today prices in any back spacing I want.

AR500 prices.jpg

AR500 prices.jpg

I can't find a listing for the Rallye's. How to know if they are 14x5 1/2 or 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the best source for wheels? Want them straight, true and proper paint. Not cheap. I want a smooth ride and no rust and willing to pay a bit more.

I have had 16" Specialty Wheels 500's on my car since 2009 and they have held up real good. Maybe the quality has gone down hill since then but i really like them.

IMG_0036.jpg

You might check with Coker's to see whose Magnum 500s they sell. Mine probably are not representative as they are about 12 years old but they have not developed any rust issue. However, I suspect there's only one real manufacturer of them, maybe two at most. Must have gone to a cheaper flash chrome process or something.

Maybe 8 years ago my buddy got some for his Fairlane wagon and they started to rust - and we're in CA!! From what I know all chrome plating is not created equal. The "good stuff" (hexavalent chromium) is all but gone, plus WV may not plate with CU and Ni before actually chrome plating - and a thin low quality Cr layer at that.

Auto Transport Service
Back