• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels for my 65 Coronet

Which Wheels?

• Body color steel wheels w/ Dodge Redline Dog Dish Hubcaps

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Magnum 500's

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Torque Thrust D's

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Something else (please post a link to pics below)

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
No one ran hub caps if they had steel wheels it wasn't cool. But 99% of us had after market wheels and for mopars TTD'd and Mickey Thompson sloted mags was the hot ticket.
Around 69 the Craigers and Keystone Classics also became hot for mopars. I can't ever remember seeing a Road Runn, Super Bee, GTX or Charger before 73 sitting on a dealer lot with steel wheels and no hub caps or with the van dog dish hub caps.

Thats right, but you can't convince some of these younger guys in the hobby today of this.

I think it all started several years ago with people doing restorations per the broadcast sheet. When I was selling these cars new the vast majority of ORDERED cars (per customer specifications) were ordered with the cheapest (standard) wheels because the buyer intended to put custom wheels on it shortly after delivery.

The cars that the dealership ordered for showroom stock typically had a factory wheel upgrade so they would "show" better. A few dealers were even dealers for aftermarket wheels and had them on the cars or on display stands in the showroom.

These younger guys have gotten the idea from these B/S restos that it is a cool look, but I can tell you the us old guys reliving our youth with these cars would not be caught dead with bottle caps and steelies on our cars. Even on my 66 Hemi race car has black steelies with chrome lub nuts (no hub caps, even though I have them) on the car that is similar to the factory look that the 69 six pack cars had. The reason for that look from the factory in 69 was two fold. To give the drag strip race look while keeping the package cost down. There was no other wheel option for the six pack cars at all in 1969. The vast majority of the 69 six pack cars ended up with after market wheels shortly after sale as well when new.

Oh I dunno. This Six Pack car originally left the factory with 14" road wheels. I like it better like this. Really funny thing was after I showed up at the race in Norwalk with these wheels, some cars that had styled wheels had changed them by Stanton. These are lighter than Ralleys

17Temmag0r.jpg

I have Steely's on my 65' Belvedere II & Mag 500's on my 65' Satellite... Both have a different look but I likes! If you can't make up you mind - buy another 65!! LOL

Weld wheels

I have Weld Racing Rodlites on my 64...... They are a bit of oldschool with a bit of todays tech !!

downsized_0417091942.jpg

Yes i did. After many fittings of multiple styles of borrowed wheels, I finally decided I'm going w/ 15" chrome Magnum 500's. They just REALLY set the car off. Thanks everyone for your help!

Bill, let's see a pic with the Magnums! I want a set for my Charger!
Mark

What size tire are you putting up front and what is the width and offset of the front wheel? I have skinnys up front now but want a good street tire size.

Dang;I've liked every combination pictured,including the dog bowls and steels. I'm also diggin' the T-T front/body-color steel rear combo more and more. The Fury in the toniflexen's post about wheels/tires(Racer's Hangout section) really shows that well.

Mine has 14" Magnums on now,and they do look decent on there;great wheel design that looks good on virtually any model.

Last edited:
In 1965, my dad bought a new Plymouth. Whenever I borrowed it, the first thing that I did when I got around the corner was to pop the hubcaps. The next thing was to put the air cleaner in the trunk so it would have that deep carb sound.

We had a 65 Fury III wagon with a 383 and what we did was flip the air cleaner lid and bolt it back down

Buuhh-WAAAAAHHHHHHHH

TT D's as mentioned everyone went with the cheap wheels and changed when we could afford something custom. The NSS look is great on the early B Bodys

rsz_falls_020.jpg

I like the old NSS look with TT-D's up front and steelies on the back. So I vote both the TT and steelies. :grin: Ron

362705709.jpg
I agree with Ron !! That was the look in the day...That's what you did (if you could afford it) the TT-D's up front, and steelies on the back.... But on my '65 Satellite Vert, I put the steel chrome TT-D's all the way around (which by the way look a lot like the cragers, but nicer). And on your vert I would say.... use the TT-D's all the way around, (check the 'steel chrome' TT-D's out, I think you'll like them on your 'vert') ................ BTW....very nice '65 topbanana.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back