• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels for my 65 Coronet

Which Wheels?

• Body color steel wheels w/ Dodge Redline Dog Dish Hubcaps

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Magnum 500's

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Torque Thrust D's

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Something else (please post a link to pics below)

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
I like the old NSS look with TT-D's up front and steelies on the back. So I vote both the TT and steelies. :grin: Ron

362705709.jpg

Well, here is the thing with that look. Guys that drove there cars on the street for everyday transportation as well as some drag strip time, kept the original wheels when they bought the aftermarket wheels. In my part of the country (back in the day) one pair of the original wheels got slicks and the other pair got snow tires.

Typically the racers would switch the rears for strip action and would drive to and from the track with the slicks on the back and then switch back to their custom wheels when they came home. Guys that saw the cars at the strip or to and from thought "hey, that is racey looking." this started a new fad of Ron's above look for a while.

well i drove my car to the track and towed it with free wheeling hubs. kept my torque thrust d's on my pro tracs street tires and when i got to the track, swis and steelies.
my street tires were L60-15
i raced with firestone 500's.

Though I'm partial to steelies (I had the caps chromed), the Satellite was also supposed to be the top trim level and if I ever change to after-market wheels, I'd go with the original Keystone style like Sox & Martin used or Magnums. Though Cragars and T.T. D's are both beautiful wheels for this car, they're EVERYWHERE! Just observe how many of each you'll see at typical local cruises and car shows versus Keystones and Magnums--however, doesn't diminish their beauty one bit. Good luck on deciding--and...you can always change back and forth.

Attachments

• 1. Satellite left-rear.jpg
    1. Satellite left-rear.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 409
I'll weigh in here. I've always been partial to painted steel wheels. Mostly driven by this:
Stahlscar.jpg

So when I built my car, it came out like this
KeystoneColorWorks.jpg

Now, to the orig poster, I'm not sure this helps you all that much, your 500 needs something a little more upscale. Magnum 500's would be a good look. Not exactly period correct, but not far off

Hey Mike...Terry Here From PA! What Size Gumballs You Running Out Back On That Plymouth? Going Through A Hassle Finding Something That I Like! Hope You Are Well!

If you looking toward a period look my favorites are polished Radir Tri-ribs or ET Team III Classic Fives. The ET Classic Five have straight spokes like the vintage TQ's. Either will set your vehicle from apart from all others. Good luck on your decision.

Terry, out back I have 275/60-15 on a 10" rim with 5.5" backspace. I have tested and I'm moving to 295/50-15 on an 8" rim.

Be careful though, I'm not a fair comparison for everyone. I have the springs move in 3.5 inches per side. That helps.

I'll throw something into the ring... just put a set of these on a 64 Dodge.

Attachments

• 64whl1.jpg
    64whl1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 64whl2.jpg
    64whl2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 301
those are Mirada wheels? they look cool with the Cragar caps-like old gasser wheels.

those are Mirada wheels? they look cool with the Cragar caps-like old gasser wheels.

Yes, and I was missing one orig Chysler cap. So I had a Cragar cap, it fits over the wheel center and works with no mods to wheel or cap! What were the odds...
You don't see these wheels too often, and they look good on the car.

find a set of Keystone classics. they fit the look of the car. I myself because they came with the car (65 satellite) are using the police 6 slot wheels with 72 police dog dish hub caps.

I have these for sale, basically new 15x8 Cragar Pro Stars with Remington tires 245 60 15 up front and 275 60 15s in rear with less than 500 miles on them.

photo.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back