• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are reputable engine builders?

Myasylum

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a stroker 400 engine (I already have headers, and bellhousing for that block)

I am wondering for a good engine builder. I see some on E-bay but who knows what you're getting there, and Blueprint engines only seems to carry small blocks.

I did find a local place here in Wisconsin, but they will only do the machine work. They don't want the responsibility if the engine fails.

So I am seeking alternatives. A short block would work as long as the Cam is installed and degreed, for some reason I can't wrap my head around it. Although I found a "cheat" way of doing it that seemed to work.

Any ideas?

Most all of the GOOD engine builders have either retired or passed away.

Best bet is to get with some of your local car clubs and see who they might steer you towards....maybe check out the work they've done for other people...

Well, and the one shop that I talked to that doesn't want the responsibly, also goes with the modern times.
Basically, doesn't want to get sued. Maybe I'll beg them, or sign my life away or something?

Younger generations would do it, if they could leave it up to their phone. It becomes more painfully apparent daily, that people cannot do anything....or want to. NWO is coming along, nicely.

Most all of the GOOD engine builders have either retired or passed away.

Best bet is to get with some of your local car clubs and see who they might steer you towards....maybe check out the work they've done for other people...
which leaves the existing reputable builders extremely busy !

As WileERobby stated above, the easiest and simplest way is to farm out all the machine work needed, then obtain a MOPAR Engine rebuild book, study it thoroughly, and then do it yourself. That way if it fails it is one you and quite frankly a lot less costly than to have the whole job done somewhere else. I have rebuilt 3 MOPAR motors in my life, and everyone came out great. I learned so much that I gained really simple and easy knowledge of how an ICE motor works and how it runs. Not that hard at all. But in these current days, it seems more and more folks want things done yesterday and by someone else and most often get burned in the end. Give it a shot!!! You just might be surprised at your own ability...Good Luck in whichever route you take...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Do it yourself. The machine work is already done. It's really not difficult.
I have thought about that, but I have no room for such a thing. I have a 1 car garage, that is it. How much does a block weigh? Maybe I can bring it into my house?

If you can move 500lbs thru a doorway and down any possible steps....
I did that kinda stuff when I was much younger.

I have thought about that, but I have no room for such a thing. I have a 1 car garage, that is it. How much does a block weigh? Maybe I can bring it into my house?
Well then, I guess you are going to have to find a reputable builder and open the wallet as they say. God Luck still being offered...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Do you have room for an engine stand ? That's about all you need. Back the car up all the way. Build the engine in front at the garage door. So when it's assembled you can chain up a cherry picker to drop it in the engine bay.

How long would it take to assemble? Doesn't help my driveway goes downhill either.

I think you are best off finding someone with experience to assemble it.

Have you done an engine build? Have the tools for it, hoist, etc? If I follow, you need the ‘engine’ just having the headers? What places did you check in your area? You might do with a crate motor; but check on its maker and reputation. Of course, it’ll depend on the cash you are willing and able to fork out.

I haven't done it before; however, I get the process. I have some of the tools, and a hoist. I've had to pull the engine once before. Certain tools I would still need, like the sleeve that use to slide the piston rings into the cylinder, or the tool for the rings. I have all winter, so I guess this isn't a rush. I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully I can find a place otherwise. I just hoped someone on here might know of someone reputable, but it doesn't seem that way.

I personally know a very reputable engine builder. He's been building them since we were in highschool together. 47 years now and he's still at it, along with his two sons now. In Smiths Falls, Ontario Canada though ! That and he's a Mopar guy.... his test bed back when was a '70 Dart with a 440 in it, bending push rods on Friday nights! LOL

I have had a few engines built by Hughes Engines, never had a problem and all exceeded expectations of performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back