• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are reputable engine builders?

I know two people that have BluePrint engines that are very pleased. Plus they advertise here. Look also at Indy Cylinder Head motors; they have a good rep. Heard lotsa good about Hughes too. Do a lot of research, talk to local racers and such and enjoy!

If you can move 500lbs thru a doorway and down any possible steps....
I did that kinda stuff when I was much younger.
I think lots did. When I was 17 I built the 440 in my parents house. It was a rather large house with sliding glass doors on the lower level that went out to the pool. My friend and I carried the block in through my sister's room. It was the closest to the storage/mechanical room of the house. Put it on an engine stand and assembled it there. The whole engine minus balancer, carb, valve covers and distributor. It took three of us to carry it out into the bed of my truck to drive to the garage and unload with an engine hoist and put it in my 64... The good old days.

I have a couple extra Big Block strokers but
I used the High Deck 440 engines for my engines
as i find it easier to find the Header combos I like.

Is Muscle Motors in Lansing, MI still around?
I got my first 451 stroker 400 from them back in the 1990's

I have a couple extra Big Block strokers but
I used the High Deck 440 engines for my engines
as i find it easier to find the Header combos I like.
GTX John - I did send you a message, I'd rather stick with the low deck since I have TTI headers already ($$$) for the 400 and 75CC Edelbrock

RPM heads, I was hoping to just swap over. I think the heads swap over but the Headers I don't think will work.

I think Mucle Motors is dead. I was reading some weird stuff with them and ebay in 2018.
Just what I read, doesn't make it true.

I am looking for a stroker 400 engine (I already have headers, and bellhousing for that block)

I am wondering for a good engine builder. I see some on E-bay but who knows what you're getting there, and Blueprint engines only seems to carry small blocks.

I did find a local place here in Wisconsin, but they will only do the machine work. They don't want the responsibility if the engine fails.

So I am seeking alternatives. A short block would work as long as the Cam is installed and degreed, for some reason I can't wrap my head around it. Although I found a "cheat" way of doing it that seemed to work.

Any ideas?
It might help if we knew where you are. If you were in Southern California, I know a guy.....

I definitely would use anyone who is advertising/selling in ebay for a new build. Any quality shop will have more work than need locally and wont be using ebay to peddle their stuff.

Had asked where you had checked so I don’t give you info you already know. I’m assuming you live in SE WI, and referenced a mopar shop in Waukesha doing work for me. They specialize in mopars – Kilpatrick. They know their stuff; but aren’t cheap. They’re likely busy, but might be able to refer you to another shop around your locale if they are too busy or you can’t wait. I had found them through a member on this forum.

The guys in Mason City Iowa did a great job on my 440.
I know they have done many engines for a buddy of mine. Big and small block strokers

Yes, I am in SE Wisconsin. I have had work done at Kilpatrick, you are right they are very good, but expensive. They weren't real interested in building a complete engine either. There was another place further south, Silver Lake or something like that... that wasn't so wonderful.
I do have time, still snow on the ground. The engine I have runs, but hoping to get more ponys. A Hellcat would be nice, but without the price.

Auto Transport Service
Back