• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where did you grow up?

Panama City, FL
Anchorage, AK
Tampa, FL
Kosciusko, MS
Phoenix, AZ
Gulfport, MS
Tucson, AZ
Fairbanks, AK
Victorville, CA
Gulfport, MS
Clark AB, Philippines
Kadena AB, Okinawa
Valdosta, GA

Dad was a lifer in the USAF. We moved a lot... As an adult I have lived in Florida, Texas, Kansas, and Ohio. Like others, not sure that I ever really grew up either...

We grew up in a typical "Beaver Cleaver" type neighborhood in SW Atlanta in the 60's and 70's. The community was built mostly in the 1920's or so and each house was unique; no cookie cutter plans. The neighborhood had a cross-section of ages, with young families living alongside retirees and widows and such. Anything from tradesmen to professors lived there.
Pop picked our house up for a song in 1965 and renovated it himself, all the while dealing with a new job downtown and 4 young kids to fend for with mama.
Pop 1544 Melrose Atlanta.jpg
With both sides of our family being from rural TN (pretty close to where I am now BTW),
our family venturing out to live in the "big city" was quite the thing then!

It was a wonderful place to be as a kid - school was always a walking affair; the neighbors all knew one another and looked out for one another (and God help you if one of them dropped a dime on you to your parents if you got caught doing something the next block over!).
Little League, after-school activities, all of that was a very local affair, as the ballfields were nearby in the city park and the schools were only a few blocks away.
I can't ever remember being afraid then - there was nothing to be afraid of!
Eddie Joey Pop Chargers 1971.jpg
(Both my late little brother Joey and I, along with Pop are in this pic - and no, I'm not
telling which one I am in the pic. :) )

Saw my first muscle Mopar in those days, too - a quiet young fella with a lot of hair lived around the corner and bought a copper '69 Super Bee. I remember that car vividly - there was no stripe or anything, only had the white emblems on the rear quarters and dog dishes, but I loved it when I got lucky enough to catch him with it running. :)

I could hop on my bike and collect a few bottles along the way to the corner market, where they'd be turned in for deposit and I could get a little balsa wood glider plane or the latest comic book, maybe a new official Duncan string for my yo-yo or baseball cards - and of course, a fresh cold Coke or Mr. Pibb, since the HQ for Coca Cola was right there in town, too.
With us three boys (me the oldest), we of course got into Little League and Pop wound up being president of the local LL chapter and wound up getting the city to fix up the old ballfields.

Then by the mid 70's, the phenomena known as "white flight" was in high gear, born out of racial tensions (we never saw such a thing and I had as many black friends as whites as a kid)....
and they then started busing kids from the crime-ridden parts of town into our quiet little
neighborhoods out of whatever social experiment and it all went to hell in a basket.
Pop's job got transferred with the HQ of the USPS and we got out of Dodge, too, to the DC suburbs.
Thus my education into subdivisions, cliques, having to drive to go anywhere...and to how
judgmental and mean people could be as I attended HS there.

My sister and brother still live in the northern, more affluent suburbs of Atlanta. I don't
visit much, since that sort of thing turned out to NOT be my "bag" after I lived
that life for 20 years outside DC - and when my sister talked me into visiting our
childhood neighborhood in Atlanta some 15 years ago, I was genuinely shocked at how
bad it had gotten. Pretty much a crack neighborhood now.
It was truly traumatizing and I wound up telling her to "get me the hell out of here NOW!"
In my case, you really CAN'T go home, I suppose...

I really wish ALL kids could have grown up where and when I did; it was a blessing.
You were safe, you could be just a kid and explore and learn and just have a blast without all the external pressures kids go through today.
Those days are gone - and I think society suffers as a result.

Streamwood ,IL NW suburbs of Chicago. it was good in the 60’s&70’s. You can never go back and I wouldn’t want to now. Unfortunately 30 years later my job took me to downtown Chicago, but I come home to TX every weekend. They only good thing about Kung Flu is I haven’t been in ORD since April and no plans to go back the rest of the year.

Ann Arbor MI. Winters were tough,spring sometimes never came,but I haven't been anywhere for me that could match a perfect summer day in MI. Got my drivers license during the heyday of the muscle car era and Woodward Ave.

7006 Findley Lake Road, North East PA 16428
2 bed room, 966 sq ft. right up in the far West/ North corner of PA. It's the Northern most town in PA. My parents house is so close to I 90 and the NY State line we could fall asleep in the summer listening to the trucks clack-clack over the gaps in the concrete of the thruway.
Idyllic 3/4 acre lot with lots of woods around to play in, Concorde Grapes as far as the eye could see in all directions. Cherry trees every where. Tiny town with beautiful central park. Great place to grow up in the 1960's.
We were a biker family. Not unusual to have anywhere from 3-30 big bikes parked across the front lawn, all Indians and Harley's. The family garage had daily gangs of guys and chicks hanging around and several bikes in various states of assembly and disassembly. Cook outs and bon fires, bike rallies and extended family. Looking at the pictures below, my bed was the top bunk of a steel bunk bed slotted into that dormer and the top half of that left hand window was my view on the world. No insulation, single pane glass. Brutal winters. Just to the left of that door in the old sunporch was my table where I sat and built model cars in the late 1960's. lol.
Wouldn't trade it all for anything under the sun.
Two adults and six kids under one roof in 966 sq feet. My parents are saints.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East,_Pennsylvania

ISmqiawwesum8v1000000000.jpg
ISyzdyik2hx3ov1000000000.jpg
ISd4kahauimyyk0000000000.jpg
IS66ga1r6p51ov1000000000.jpg
IS2ny807isdbvu1000000000.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
My childhood (up to age 14) was in Roslindale, which is a part of Boston. We lived in a middle class neighborhood & our house was a fairly modest ranch with two flower beds in front painted my dad's favorite color, brown. Fast forward to present day and a family of Ricans live there & painted it 4 different shades, the yard is full of ladders and other ****, needs to be re-roofed, fence falling down, etc. My dad would be rolling in his grave now to see what the house he build looks like now.

View attachment 991210

View attachment 991211
Born and raised in Lynn. Nough said,,lol

We grew up in a typical "Beaver Cleaver" type neighborhood in SW Atlanta in the 60's and 70's. The community was built mostly in the 1920's or so and each house was unique; no cookie cutter plans. The neighborhood had a cross-section of ages, with young families living alongside retirees and widows and such. Anything from tradesmen to professors lived there.
Pop picked our house up for a song in 1965 and renovated it himself, all the while dealing with a new job downtown and 4 young kids to fend for with mama.
View attachment 991248
With both sides of our family being from rural TN (pretty close to where I am now BTW),
our family venturing out to live in the "big city" was quite the thing then!

It was a wonderful place to be as a kid - school was always a walking affair; the neighbors all knew one another and looked out for one another (and God help you if one of them dropped a dime on you to your parents if you got caught doing something the next block over!).
Little League, after-school activities, all of that was a very local affair, as the ballfields were nearby in the city park and the schools were only a few blocks away.
I can't ever remember being afraid then - there was nothing to be afraid of!
View attachment 991251
(Both my late little brother Joey and I, along with Pop are in this pic - and no, I'm not
telling which one I am in the pic. :) )

Saw my first muscle Mopar in those days, too - a quiet young fella with a lot of hair lived around the corner and bought a copper '69 Super Bee. I remember that car vividly - there was no stripe or anything, only had the white emblems on the rear quarters and dog dishes, but I loved it when I got lucky enough to catch him with it running. :)

I could hop on my bike and collect a few bottles along the way to the corner market, where they'd be turned in for deposit and I could get a little balsa wood glider plane or the latest comic book, maybe a new official Duncan string for my yo-yo or baseball cards - and of course, a fresh cold Coke or Mr. Pibb, since the HQ for Coca Cola was right there in town, too.
With us three boys (me the oldest), we of course got into Little League and Pop wound up being president of the local LL chapter and wound up getting the city to fix up the old ballfields.

Then by the mid 70's, the phenomena known as "white flight" was in high gear, born out of racial tensions (we never saw such a thing and I had as many black friends as whites as a kid)....
and they then started busing kids from the crime-ridden parts of town into our quiet little
neighborhoods out of whatever social experiment and it all went to hell in a basket.
Pop's job got transferred with the HQ of the USPS and we got out of Dodge, too, to the DC suburbs.
Thus my education into subdivisions, cliques, having to drive to go anywhere...and to how
judgmental and mean people could be as I attended HS there.

My sister and brother still live in the northern, more affluent suburbs of Atlanta. I don't
visit much, since that sort of thing turned out to NOT be my "bag" after I lived
that life for 20 years outside DC - and when my sister talked me into visiting our
childhood neighborhood in Atlanta some 15 years ago, I was genuinely shocked at how
bad it had gotten. Pretty much a crack neighborhood now.
It was truly traumatizing and I wound up telling her to "get me the hell out of here NOW!"
In my case, you really CAN'T go home, I suppose...

I really wish ALL kids could have grown up where and when I did; it was a blessing.
You were safe, you could be just a kid and explore and learn and just have a blast without all the external pressures kids go through today.
Those days are gone - and I think society suffers as a result.
Yup SW Atlanta is a shithole.. I refuse to go down there any more to work. Last time I worked out there i ran conduit some 30 feet in the air for my lighting. We pulled all the wire and made all the taps used a scissor lift to reach it. Took the control box from the lift and went home. I came back the next day and all of my junction box covers were ripped off and they stole all of the wire and fucked up just about every box. I had to replace several and repull the wire. This time I energized the circuit.. :) 277v Now steal my wire BITCH.. Thing is he had to crawl the perlins around 30 feet in the air to get to the boxes.. That much effort to be a thief.. WTF why not just get a job.

Early yrs were in a small cotton farming town called Navasota TX, moved to Bryan and then Houston after Mom & Dad divorced. Dad sold our old house to the feedstore next door and they quickly raized it in favor of a parking lot for big rigs. Had a lot of great times there, knew everyone as Dad was with DPS then.
Single mother in the 70s she struggled and we bounced around from trailer parks to garage apts all over N. Houston, they were borderline rough areas then but really bad now.

Living above our store, Mom/Dad and 4 kids jammed into about 800 sq ft. in Sin City ( Smiths Falls). Just happen to have one picture of it with our '64 Belvedere out front..
beerestoration2019 555.JPG

Born in Baltimore, MD 1965, and moved to Indian Harbor Beach, Fla in '69. My dads job sent us to Germany in '77 until I graduated and joined the Army in '84. Army life for 10 yrs (Pirmasens Germany, Ft. Huachuca AZ, Pirmasens Germany, and Ft Campbell Ky 501st Sig, 101st ABN, Hooah... I now live back in AZ, and will remain there till I croak! I ain't movin' no mo...

Parents fled Brooklyn, NY after WWII. Dad got a job at Penn State as a photographer, couldn't afford a place in State College. He built a small home on the side of the mountain outside of town, bordered by as farm, and a stone quarry, which kept real estate prices super low. Five minutes from one of the best trout streams in the country, but one of the poorest neighborhoods in the State College school district. Got my nose rubbed in it during my high school years with the well off "townies."

In winters, we hiked a quarter mile up the driveway, in summers we ran out of running water. Dad climbed the ladder at PSU, and eventually got a decent well drilled, and paid to get the driveway plowed. Although later he could afford a place in town, he stayed on the mountain for 45 years. The house is a rental property now, but thanks to the stone quarry, it still sits by itself on Mt. Nittany.

Oh, and when I was in high school, I talked Dad into ordering a sure-grip rear in our new 1970 Valiant 100. We got up the driveway during winter in those years!

Lee's summit mo. Till the age of 12 then got moved to Phoenix and have hated it ever day.

Panama City, FL
Anchorage, AK
Tampa, FL
Kosciusko, MS
Phoenix, AZ
Gulfport, MS
Tucson, AZ
Fairbanks, AK
Victorville, CA
Gulfport, MS
Clark AB, Philippines
Kadena AB, Okinawa
Valdosta, GA

Dad was a lifer in the USAF. We moved a lot... As an adult I have lived in Florida, Texas, Kansas, and Ohio. Like others, not sure that I ever really grew up either...

Similar experience...

Born in Rantoul Illinois
moved to Biloxi Mississippi
Then Anchorage Alaska
San Antonio Texas
Salina Kansas while Pops was in Vietnam
Atwater California
Madrid Spain
Adana Turkey
Las Vegas Nevada
At that point Pops retired to Modesto California after having served 27 yrs originally in the Army Air Corps, got out after WWII then joined the Air Force the early 50's & went to Korea...

After having never lived in one place for long coming to Modesto where most of the kids I attended school with had known each other since kindergarten I didn't fit in... When I graduated HS I was ready to GTFO of here.... Joined the Navy since I'd already seen enough AF bases...

Allentown, Pennsylvania. Thank God. Great Parents. Values. Catholic school. Swollen knuckles. Can’t say I grew up though. 16 YO in 1969. I could go on.

273 Ottawa street in Regina Saskatchewan, yes that's in Canada, 1957! The house we lived in was a three room old run down nothing of a building. My brother and I slept in the enter foyer on bunk beds, 4 foot by just the length of the bed, back against the front door. Wooden sidewalks out front and a community water faucet by it, later plumbed to each house. My dad fixed it up and we sold it to make money to come to the USA. My brother took my parents back about 10 or so years ago to find that it had been tore down and this stands there today. The guy next door took all the wood he could when they tore it down, fence included and put it in his garage. He showed my parents all the stuff and gave them the old wooden mail box that my dad made and hung on the front of the house, saved all those years. My brother still has it to this day. They were very hard times that many would not believe, but they were happy times also, thanks to my parents, that shielded us from it.
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg

I grew up in a very small town in north Iowa. Same house from day I was brought home from hospital to the day I moved to tech school

I grew up in Richmond, British Columbia. We had a nice old house, plenty of room and a half acre to run around on. I didn't enjoy the size of the lot so much when I had to mow it... :) We were right under the flight path of the Vancouver International Airport, so I got to see a constant stream of DC-3, DC-6 and Lockheed Constellations thundering overhead, so often we didn't notice them. Jets were rare at first, my dad would actually run out to take a picture if a DC-8 screamed by. My parents were always gardening and planting things.
upload_2020-8-20_8-42-32.png

How it looked in 1973 when I was 15, the house no longer exists and there's no other building there. The property was turned into a parking lot for an adjacent school, the school where I walked to for grades one through four.

In the boro,right where I live now!
20200418_090128.jpg
My uncle built the house for us in 1969,when mom wanted to move to Florida, I bought it and built my garage.

Auto Transport Service
Back