• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where did you grow up?

Cleveland Ohio.
On the west side. My parents still live in our house.
Went to St. Edward high school in Lakewood Ohio.
I moved 25 miles west and built my house on a 5 acre lot. I built the house myself. (Actually built it, didn’t have it built :thumbsup:)

Barrington, RI
Parents lived there until just recently. Nice place to grow up, and still is.
house.jpg

Living above our store, Mom/Dad and 4 kids jammed into about 800 sq ft. in Sin City ( Smiths Falls). Just happen to have one picture of it with our '64 Belvedere out front..
View attachment 991287
Couldn't find an old pic of mine, the whole front used to be glass sunporch and had a driveway going up the hill between the house and that maple tree. Also a giant birch tree to the right of the house. Things change...

is66ga1r6p51ov1000000000-jpg.jpg

Similar experience...

Born in Rantoul Illinois
moved to Biloxi Mississippi
Then Anchorage Alaska
San Antonio Texas
Salina Kansas while Pops was in Vietnam
Atwater California
Madrid Spain
Adana Turkey
Las Vegas Nevada
At that point Pops retired to Modesto California after having served 27 yrs originally in the Army Air Corps, got out after WWII then joined the Air Force the early 50's & went to Korea...

After having never lived in one place for long coming to Modesto where most of the kids I attended school with had known each other since kindergarten I didn't fit in... When I graduated HS I was ready to GTFO of here.... Joined the Navy since I'd already seen enough AF bases...
My wife was an Army brat. 13 schools before graduating. lol. All over the world.

I grew up in Tazewell ,TN back in the sticks
I lived in the woods my whole childhood and still do when huntin season is open. I sure did enjoy them times and still enjoy the memories

I was born in Ohio and lived on a small private lake called Lake Choctaw. When I was a kid (73-79) there were a few homes On the lake but still a lot of open space, large lots. I went back in the late 80’s and there were houses on top of houses. Super crowded and unrecognizable.

For sure, when the old man couldn't keep the store in the black and had to go find work elsewhere as the MNR's clerk in Lanark he turned the store into our apartment and we moved downstairs and rented out the upstairs. By then it was just Dad/Mom, me and my kid sister and we then had about 1000 square feet and three proper bedrooms.

For sure, when the old man couldn't keep the store in the black and had to go find work elsewhere as the MNR's clerk in Lanark he turned the store into our apartment and we moved downstairs and rented out the upstairs. By then it was just Dad/Mom, me and my kid sister and we then had about 1000 square feet and three proper bedrooms.
I went back in 2003 and the whole place was remodeled. Tore down trees and added a bunch of "features". It really looks a lot smaller than I remembered it being. The owner let us walk inside and around the property. Tiny rooms. Don't know how my parents did it with 6 kids, 5 of them boys. Long brutal winters. Crazy. BUT, I don't remember having any issues as a kid, it was all good.

West suburban Denver to 1972. Walked to school, safe neighborhoods. Often biked 10-20 miles on a weekend jaunt to new adventures as a 10-yo kid. Nothing in my old neighborhood exists anymore. The homes on my dead-end block were all built 1900-1910. Wonderful homes with hardwood floors, full basements and glass doorknobs. Everything got demolished as they widened the state highway that ran parallel to our street, and the major cross-street a block away. And I do mean everything. Bastards! The first time I saw the "improvements" made to my old neighborhood (1994), I cried like a baby.

Our 8,000 resident town is now 155K people. I wouldn't move back to the Denver Metro on a bet these days. Colorado politics and out-of-staters bringing their problems with them, has destroyed Denver and the Front Range.

Bastards.

From 1953 to 1973 it was the armpit of the state. Waterbury, Connecticut.
I joined the Air Force in 1973, to get as far away from that dump, as i could.

Dec27_03.JPG

Raised in San Jose, California (born 1955) when much of the land was still dedicated to agriculture. Catholic school, new ranch home in the suburbs, and biking to school and elsewhere on the weekends. Moved to a small cattle ranch a couple of hours south when I was 16 years old, about the time parents purchased the new '71 Road Runner.

Well born in n.j. but within a year was transplanted in FL. When they closed the power plate up there dad lot job so sold house moved to fl bought a brand new house on old house sale. So I've grown up in palmbay FL mom and dad still in house. And currently still in palmbay only about 5 mins from mom and dad as they get older I'm there more and more except now mom changed the locks no one's coming in till the Kung flu is gone !

Grew up in a small Village just outside Milwaukee, back then it was more rural than suburban; but sub was moving in even then already, more subdivisions being built and two-lane roads being converted to 4. More stoplights, old drive-in joints torn down replaced by Walgreen's, Home Depot's, offices, etc. Outdoor theater torn down for a huge grocery store. Our favorite areas where we could do night racing gobbled up by strip malls and subdivisions. Rural to more urban. The expanse of the village btw the city has kept closing in - less open land to sort of find separation from the city. I live some 15 miles from where I grew up and built a house among farm fields 20+ years ago. Now it's closing in...more traffic, a roundabout with freeway signage, huge subdivision to the east and that's expanding like nuts. A lot of the land here, including where I built, was all part of the farms my wife's grandparents and uncles had that got sold for development. When I drive through my old town there are just a few small areas that are left where it hasn't changed much and have vivid memories when driving through it as a youngster 5 decades ago. Well, those are getting squeezed in too...two condo projects going in this year. I think of the old song "Time Marches on." Guess when one can remember what it was and how it is today ya have been lucky enough to be on the topside of the soil for a long time.

Born in Detroit and moved to East Detroit (now Eastpointe), as an infant. Lived there until '83. My first real job began in '78 as a public works employee, on 10 Mile Rd, in East Detroit. (Hmm...where else have I heard "located on 10 Mile Road in East Detroit"?)

On the "east side", we cruised Gratiot; Woodward was a road trip!

Great memories, but I wouldn't want to go back now. The city has changed radically.

Here's the answer to my question, for the few of you who may not know: Creative Industries, you know, Charger Daytona? I knew little about the winged Dodge when I was working at the public works, other than it was the coolest car ever made! Owning a mint '69 Superbee, I was talking at work about getting a winged car one day, when one of my co workers said, "one of them ugly *** cars that they made next door?" I had NO idea my little town was so "famous".

Well born in n.j. but within a year was transplanted in FL. When they closed the power plate up there dad lot job so sold house moved to fl bought a brand new house on old house sale. So I've grown up in palmbay FL mom and dad still in house. And currently still in palmbay only about 5 mins from mom and dad as they get older I'm there more and more except now mom changed the locks no one's coming in till the Kung flu is gone !
I used to live on Blau Ct off of Jupiter and Emerson. We moved back to AZ after my dad died in '10.

Concord Ca. born in 1959, stayed there mostly, until I was 27,
lived in Oakland for a couple of years as a 1st & 2nd grader
before it was a total shithole it is today
my Mom was an extremely hard working Single Mother,
trying & raising 3 children (me & my 2 older sisters)
trying to make ends meet
Then back to Concord, when my Mother remarried, Bob my stepfather
then stayed in Concord for 5-6 years, then moved to suburbia Antioch,
then, Pleasant Hill & Concord again
all in Contra Costa County

my "dad" wasn't around much, he was chasing skirts
in my HS years, I moved in with my dad & his 3rd wife & her 4 kids
Graduated HS while living with him in Garden Valley Ca. (foothills)
then moved back to Concord to get work

& went to school in Eugene Or.
& I had a couple of short stints in Springfield Mo., Wichita Ks. & Boise Id.
building/construction related stuff

then back to Concord Ca.

In my mid-late 20's I moved to Alaska, Anchorage & Palmer
One of my older sisters lived there, she was in the USAF,
trying to raise 2 kid on her own...
I got work on Elmendorf AFB & Ft. Richardson Army base (all hush, hush)
& also did a lot of construction work on the side, to supplement my income
I moved back to Concord, Calif. when work/boom ran out
shortly after

Moved to San Jose Ca., to build an Indoor Pistol Range,
my future BIL owned, I stayed on for a couple of years to run the range
& still did construction work during the days

then a few years later back to Concord, Turtle Creek area

then to Clayton Ca. a little rural suburb of Concord, Oakhurst CC
after 1997 I started to keep moving to rural areas
1st Rancho Murieta CC, eastern Sacramento Co. for 10 years

Then to east of Sonora Ca., get my dad off the mountain,
down at a lower elevation, a tad milder winters/snow accumulation
so he wouldn't die shoveling snow (long story)
I bought this place in 2005, put my place in Murieta up for sale
moved here permanently in 2007
Our family always came up to this area, for vacations as a kid
we had a family cabin up on Sonora Pass (my granddads),
my dad moved up here in 1980
I couldn't get him away from it :poke: , so I just moved here too
It wouldn't have been my 1st choice, but I do like it here...

Wall of text -bob the builder-.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back