• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

where do these wires go?

All4rocks

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
I am hooking up my engine harness and cant figure out where these wires go. I looked at diagram but some of my wires seem to have different colors. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3089.JPG IMG_3090.JPG IMG_3091.JPG

I am hooking up my engine harness and cant figure out where these wires go. I looked at diagram but some of my wires seem to have different colors. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 657072 View attachment 657073 View attachment 657074 View attachment 657075
Picture 1)horn and relays
2)can't tell, almost look like coil wires
3)brake warning switch
4)starter relay on the firewall....

THAT SAID these are just guesstimates based on what the pictures seem to portray...if wire colors are different you must trace each wire back to the terminal in the bulkhead connector (big plug on the firewall) then with the factory diagram you can verify what goes where...judging by the red wires with yellow crimp connectors someone's definitely done some re-wiring.

Picture 1 yes horns but what relays? Picture 2 are wires right at the firewall so oil pressure sender maybe? Picture 3 is brake warning switch thank you. Picture 4 starter relay yes just not sure which post the yellow and grey wires go on

Blue wire second picture looks like a coil wire from the ballast resistor. The other one could be a tach wire? Is it grey? Blue should go to POS side of the coil and the tach wire if thats what it is goes to the negative side. The 2 Green wires in the first picture are horn wires and connect to the horn. The purple wire in the same harness is horn relay like stated above.

here is a starter relay picture should help. Green wire in the picture with the weird plug is the NSS wire and goes to the transmission.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=118717.jpg

Here is the Horn relay and the green wires.
24qn8s5.jpg

3rd picture is the brake light and I think goes to the proportioning valve.

Last edited:
Thank you beep beep. Starter relay picture very helpful. I think I have it figured out except for grey wire at the top of your starter relay pic. It has a black plug on it and looks like it plugs into silver connector with silver wire. What is that?

585226-ce24e51443b409f1b6a0f2800167f7ee.jpg

Wire in the middle - grey - Oil pressure sender unit
Blue - Positive on coil
White ? right hand wire - Negative coil - you will find the holes are different sizes between the two ring terminals.

585225-ed033328727ecab574f117779d609d55.jpg

Brown hidden underneath is for the washer bottle that is not on your car.
The two x Green are for the twin horns. (Relay is located under the dash)

If you are talking about upper right one half coming out of the block is black and the other half after the plug is grey.. I believe that is the tach wire. This isnt my picture I found it on the web.

Uhhhh...what these guys said above. All the posts look pretty darn accurate to me.

Thank you kiwi very helpful. Car is a 68 Coronet 440 that had a 318 originally. Now has a Hemi. Why are the coil wires so short? They come out of the harness at the rear of the engine. So does the distributor plug. How are these supposed to reach the coil and dist. at front of engine? mDid a 318 originally come with the coil mounted in the rear of engine? This is a brand new wiring harness.

318 had coil &dist at rear of engine. Extend the wires.

Only wire that im still unsure about is the 2 grey wires with the black square plug on it hanging out right at the bulkhead connector in picture 4. Someone said tach wire. Does that sound right?

My relay ('68) was mounted down near the horns..later ones were inside and on the firewall on some cars. Yep 318 coil on the rear

Last edited by a moderator:

My relay ('68) was mounted down near the horns..later ones were inside and on the firewall on some cars. Yep 318 coil on the rear
Thanks....I was thinking more along the lines of '70 colours and wiring for BB. I forgot about fender mounted relays. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Only wire that im still unsure about is the 2 grey wires with the black square plug on it hanging out right at the bulkhead connector in picture 4. Someone said tach wire. Does that sound right?
Correct - the both wires are joined at the black plug - one goes to the coil, and the other to the Pentastar shaped plug for the ECU.

New engine harness is for a 318 or the Hemi? oil pressure switch, coil, distributor, and most other wires are in a different location and will be mostly too short if it is for the 318. The harness should have come with a wiring diagram.

Harness is for a 318. I talked to M&H who makes the harness and they said it would be easier to modify the 318 harness and extend a few wires then to make the hemi one work

Auto Transport Service
Back