• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do we stand with Moparts?

I can also tell you that if a person wants to pay cash anywhere in the world it is not a problem. Most buyers insist on paying with a credit card to protect themselves and this is where it gets tricky. It reminds me of one of those standoffs on an old show like Gunsmoke or The Rifleman

Part of the shortages are everyone at home, ie. not going into work. More time at home and not going out in the evenings means more work getting done on houses, cars, hobbies in general. This was a surge in demand with not enough time for natural replenishment, causing the backorder situation. Add to this the hampered workforce with the 10 -14 days off if exposed or having COVID. This has been relieved a bit by on having to take 5 days off now.
The price increases and people going back to work at a place instead of from their couch will ease demand.

So domestic buyers never lodge complaints, credit card refunds, or PayPal disputes? Really?

Again we are Looking Through the Looking-Glass and getting tunnel vision. It is obviously much easier to seek recourse for these types of incidents when they happen within the country in which your business operates. Once you begin to deal with these types of transactions that go bad over International borders Things become much more time-consuming and the likelihood of getting your money back is much less. It's not a matter of discrimination based on nationality it is a matter of protecting your business. Those of you that are taking it personally need to consider the business operator's right to protect their livelihood regardless of the opinion of those that have no vested interest whether the business succeeds or fails. This is the equivalent of writing checks out of someone else's checkbook.

I have been buying auto parts from the U.S. since 1980 (yeah, before the internet), bought 250+ parts from the U.S. via Ebay (two vehicles among that) as well as countless number of business transactions directly from private companies in the auto aftermarket business, so I think I can qualify to have an opinion about this: I can count the number of times a vendor has turned down my offer due to my location outside the U.S. on one hand. I don´t think my experience is rare. Word of advise is to react quickly and honestly to all communication with the seller. And if you find shipping cost being high, just subscribe to companies within the U.S. (like myus.com) who will act as parts depot for your shipment, usually reducing shipping costs.

Ragnar in Iceland

Most people take the "path of least resistance" and sell locally to minimize issues(shipping, refunds etc) when selling internationally
Agreed. :thumbsup:
There is a guy here at FBBO who is a prominent and frequent seller, who not only didn't sell to me, but also blanked my response to a Private Message to buy the item. I responded in less than 10 minutes after he posted the item for sale.....and then he claimed 3 days later that he only just got my message. All because it was a little bit of effort to sell to an overseas location. Wanker.

Needless to say, I will never buy from that guy now, and won't even sell to him if the chance arises. :mob:

Again we are Looking Through the Looking-Glass and getting tunnel vision. It is obviously much easier to seek recourse for these types of incidents when they happen within the country in which your business operates. Once you begin to deal with these types of transactions that go bad over International borders Things become much more time-consuming and the likelihood of getting your money back is much less. It's not a matter of discrimination based on nationality it is a matter of protecting your business. Those of you that are taking it personally need to consider the business operator's right to protect their livelihood regardless of the opinion of those that have no vested interest whether the business succeeds or fails. This is the equivalent of writing checks out of someone else's checkbook.

Fair enough, you make good points.
But numerically have international transactions resulted in more disputes then national? I’m not a business, only a hobbiest that sells on the side. I’ve done well over 1,000 international transactions, probably getting closer to 2,000 now. Only been burned twice.

I sold a 1/2 set of gen I hemi rockers to a guy in New Zealand a couple years ago. Over $100 "ground" shipping! Took four months to get there. He never complained once!

Last month I sold something to a man in Canada. He filed a Not As Described case on eBay and in the end he got to keep the item, got 100% of his money with shipping back, and never did have to describe how it was not as described. eBay has no way to generate a return label from Canada, the USPS system wouldn't generate a label by me for a Canada to US shipment, and the buyer wouldn't take it to the post office if I paid. I still don't know how it was NAD. Couldn't take him to small claims, even if I wanted to.
I still sell to Canadians, but I understand people who won't.

My view is: I may not sell a lot Internationally, but those foreign bidders are running up the price I get, even if they don't win.

Just shipped 16 ounces to AU: $29! The widget was $25.

Jim at DMT's excuse is not charge backs, instead he claims he has too many packages that get lost by USPS/Canada Post and he has to replace them out of his pocket. UMMM is that not why you ship fully insured, tracked and know damn well it showed up at the buyers door?

Last time I got an order from him, and his folks made an error in what they sent, my emails for unknown reasons got blocked by his server and I had to get Joel to contact him on my behalf. I had first used his facebook page and messenger to get a response from his Daughter, only to have Jim shut down his Facebook page 5 minutes later so I couldn't even reply to her message and had to use Joel as a relay. I got my correct stuff and was then told under no circumstance to order **** from him again... "you can get your stuff from Nigel at National Moparts".

So what's the big deal with that, it wouldn't be your worst sin!! It can save the buyer a significant amount of money and is potentially a deal-breaker. I don't think you realize just how much duty some countries charge despite the items being rusty used crap.

Well this all depends, did you give them an actual quote or just pull a number out of your head? Ebay is a good example of totally unrealistic and bogus foreign shipping rates and the "Global Shipping" is just a scam!!
Frickin Canadians, you know I love you all.
You have all these tarrifs to protect your own businesses, but when it might cost you a couple bucks, it's just "lie on the form."

Frickin Canadians, you know I love you all.
You have all these tarrifs to protect your own businesses, but when it might cost you a couple bucks, it's just "lie on the form."

yeah, we’re all like that. Every one of us. Just like every American is just like (fill in the blank).

Shipping has gone crazy and maybe we will see an increase in vendors attending the shows again. I would advise anyone doing a restoration make a list and buy as much as you can at a show or most vendors have a deal for free shipping. I am helping a friend on a brand X project that he has had for 15 years and I would guess it will cost him thousands more because he waited too long to get parts.

Sent parts to Australia and gave a quote for shipping. When you have a shipping account you agree to pay for all overages with your secured Credit Card. I didn't get charged the extra amount until the order was delivered. Too late then, so "I" will just be one of those selfish people that doesn't want to fund someone else's project. I told the next overseas customer about the problem I had before and he already had an American drop ship address that took care of everything to protect me. That is what you do when you live outside of the states.

Yours truly,
Selfish

I have never asked anyone to "lie on the form". I would never ask someone to falsify information to save a lousy $5 on an item for a hobby car.
However I did pay for a stroker crankshaft (and shipping to me) from a "god" in the USA and he never sent it.
I also never received a set of Torq Thrust wheels from some A-hole in Texas that I paid for either.
If only we could match up the right buyers and sellers so they can bend each other over.

Today, I have someone in the US who wants to return an item. Item arrived damaged, they said. I accept all returns, however, the description notes two cracks and all of the photos were shot in a fashion that highlights the cracks. They are large cracks, but they are cosmetic only. The price was cheap and it was a BIN, so they dove on it before somebody else did. I've done that.

With the Canadian guy, I sent an email: "What did I mess up?" Big mistake as that starts the clock. This time, I'm putting it on eBay. They have a "Report Buyer" button and I pushed it: "Buyer made a false claim." It was not cracked in shipment.

My policy is: 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, so I will take the return, but I only pay shipping when I made the mistake, and I have done so many, many times. In the end, it is my Lord and Master eBay's decision, we shall see.

The last time I called DMT for stuff, Jim's wife said they don't t ship to Canada anymore. She told me to talk to to John in parts dept. at Roseville Dodge. They are just down the road from DMT and would pick up my order and ship it to me in Ontario. I have bought a few things from Roseville in the past, and they shipped my order with no markup for their service. Kind of a long way around for my parts, but it worked.
I just found another new way to get screwed over. I ordered about $800.00US of parts from Classic Industries and charged it to my Visa card. I think the moment I hung the phone up, the trucker protest closed the border crossings into Ontario. The next day, I called Classic and was able to cancel my order, fearing it would get delayed or lost. Classic was very understanding of my predicament. When I got my Visa bill, I discovered that the money that paid for the original order was at a certain percentage rate, but the money that Visa repaid my account was at a lower percentage rate. The result was that it cost me $50.00 to cancel my order. Not Classic's fault; this is how the banks do business.

My customers in Canada, Australia and across the pond are some of my best customers. Never have had a problem. Earlier this year I sold two sets of doors to two different guys in Australia in two weeks. Shipping cost is the big killer, not the guy on the other end.

Jim at DMT's excuse is not charge backs, instead he claims he has too many packages that get lost by USPS/Canada Post and he has to replace them out of his pocket. UMMM is that not why you ship fully insured, tracked and know damn well it showed up at the buyers door?.

I’ve heard this from Canadian firms too. I returned a console tach & board to Mr. Heaterbox in Ontario for work and first I asked them the best way to ship. They said anything except USPS because their stuff sits in customs for months and sometimes never shows up. She said FedEx or UPS were fine and reasonably quick and they deliver to their door and USPS didn’t. I used FedEx and the cost was less than I expected and to and return were uneventful.

I have been buying auto parts from the U.S. since 1980 (yeah, before the internet), bought 250+ parts from the U.S. via Ebay (two vehicles among that) as well as countless number of business transactions directly from private companies in the auto aftermarket business, so I think I can qualify to have an opinion about this: I can count the number of times a vendor has turned down my offer due to my location outside the U.S. on one hand. I don´t think my experience is rare. Word of advise is to react quickly and honestly to all communication with the seller. And if you find shipping cost being high, just subscribe to companies within the U.S. (like myus.com) who will act as parts depot for your shipment, usually reducing shipping costs.

Ragnar in Iceland
Well written .

Auto Transport Service
Back