• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have they all gone? I'm just blowing off steam.

Thanks guys!! I'm trying but I feel certain this one will go higher than I can justify. The last one on BAT went for 211k. Still, for the time being, I'm on top. Yay me.

A friend at the auction who closely examined this car said it wasn't as nice in person as it appeared on TV. But you want a driver, so it probably would have suited your needs just fine. There are several other U-code Superbirds at this auction that have better time slots (and colors). I'll be very interested to see how they do. Can you do an internet bid, xlr8 ???

The problem with an internet bid is the auction fees are something like an additional 20%. 145k plus 20% takes me to 174k. That's an extra (almost) 30k for the convenience of bidding from home. I need to crawl all over that car if I'm going to spend that kind of coin. Add transport, tax, and registration and that number would quickly top 200k till all is said and done. I can't justify that number.

You probably saw this one today at Mecum:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-502530/1970-plymouth-superbird/

$137,500

99% sure that the $137,500 includes the buyer's premium.

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 17-35-03 1970 Plymouth Superbird F99 Indy 2022 Mecum Auctions.jpg

Re: the Mecum cars: $159,500 and $137,500. No idea how these cars were condition wise etc. but does it seem to you that PRICES ARE MODERATING?

Stock market off a lot since the start of the year, in the USA 30 year fixed mortgages are now over 5%. "Recession" being bantered about. In Canada where I live real estate sales have slowed. I am not wishing for bad times. But maybe they are coming.

I'd like to buy a really nice '68 Charger RT manual trans car. For my own selfish purposes I would like to get this done for $75k. A few months ago that would have been impossible. I'm happy to wait and see.

Re: the Mecum cars: $159,500 and $137,500. No idea how these cars were condition wise etc. but does it seem to you that PRICES ARE MODERATING?

Stock market off a lot since the start of the year, in the USA 30 year fixed mortgages are now over 5%. "Recession" being bantered about. In Canada where I live real estate sales have slowed. I am not wishing for bad times. But maybe they are coming.

I'd like to buy a really nice '68 Charger RT manual trans car. For my own selfish purposes I would like to get this done for $75k. A few months ago that would have been impossible. I'm happy to wait and see.

I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but I was thinking the SAME THING. I want a Superbird VERY badly but I'm only willing to spend X amount. These cars are both within my budget. Time will tell if the numbers are moderating. I sure hope they are!!!

if I'm dropping that kind of money i would be crawling all over each and every candidate in person

To the OP.
I read elsewhere you bought a car ?

Patience will pay off, you’ll know when the right one comes along even if it takes longer than you want it too.
Auctions are NOT a good place to look due to the buyers premium add on, transport cost, and bidders tend to buy on a whim rather than spending time with the car and owner getting to know both.
My experience has been if the seller is a normal guy and you are a straight shooter then negotiation is always welcome.
If you run across a seller that thinks you should grovel at their feet then move on. They’re unwarranted disrespect is a waste of time. Take your money and walk away.

Its not that easy. When I click on the Add Photos icon, a window pops up and I cant find my pictures. I'm not very computer savvy.

Well then, first go to your folder full of pictures. Then clock and drag the one you want into the box where you type a reply and see if it transfers.

Auto Transport Service
Back