• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy a car?

BowerPower

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
What are reputable places to look for car listings online? I'll take any advice you got in regards to looking at and buying cars you see online. It's something I see people do all the time but no one talks about how to do it safely or even where to start.
In a perfect world, I'd go see every potential car in person but some may be too far away and I still need to go to work. Ebay has good policies from what I hear but that is just one of many places that list classic cars. Obviously, I'll keep an eye on the classifieds on the forum.

Whatever you do ( see a related thread about a scam ), don't ever,ever,ever put down a dime on a car unless you-yourself OR a trusted pair of eyes inspects the car.

I got the deal of a lifetime on a Hemi GTX I bought last year on this site, and made a new friend on the process. I've purchased three GTXs, a 1960 Chrysler 300F, and a 1966 Imperial through private parties advertising in Hemmings in years past, and all were excellent cars, but not cheap. I have always inspected them in person. If that isn't possible, there are many folks here who will do it for you.

I've had good luck with www.Autabuy.com
I also had good luck with www.RacingJunk.com

I don't buy much anymore, since 2017
my last big purchase I saw online (for my next-door neighbor)
was from a local news source classified affiliate
of The Union Democrat Newspaper
(a really bad name I know, been around 100+ years)
it was on www.MyMotherload.com it covers the area where I live
short drive to go see it, bring the trailer & back home
with it for my neighbor

my neighbor across the street does some deals too
where there are 'local groups' that buys or sell
or advertise stuff locally,
in their immediate areas,
on Facebook groups
I don't do or belong to fakebook so,
I asked them to look it up for me, he's always on fb selling something
it worked out that time...

Tons of different sources. I bought three vehicles over the past 15 years seeing them on auto trader and cars.com though two of those were through dealers. My habit (for daily drivers) has been buying low mileage btw 3 to 15 years old, preferably in warmer climates (no salt). I’ve sold a few on these sites as well. Many classic car dealers out there...google the vehicle you’re interested in and they’ll pop up from several sources to make note of. Buying private has its risks if you can’t get a check on the seller. Extra caution of course. Have never bought a vehicle I didn’t personally check out. I’ve looked at a couple for others living hundreds of miles or more away. Advantage here on the forum if members live nearby to take a look at it as some have offered to do.

Takes an experienced eye to spot body and paint work and better to have it up on a lift for inspection as well. For a restored ride, better/best if the seller has ample photos of the restoration like some do. With my last resto have around 250 photos of about every inch of the car under restoration displaying what’s been done to it. Chatting with a guy at a show about his ’64 Fury he had recently bought, he showed me the photo album of the resto. Wow, all the evidence the car was done right and wouldn’t have been worried buying it.

I didn't even think of that, having forum members check it out for me. I'm not looking for a perfect car, so I don't need too experienced of an eye.

How do you determine the market value of a classic car. There are some price guides but those don't always tell the whole story.

Start attending some shows in your area. Better to physically see the potential buy.

Very easy these days to locate nice cars for sale.
My advice has always been never purchase a car you have not personally inspected.
If you do not feel up to the task take a friend that has experience.
Jmho.

My advice has always been never purchase a car you have not personally inspected.
I totally agree. If the car is too far for YOU to look at,keep looking. I have no problem if you get someone else to look for you,just remember you might see something that another person may not.What's good to one guys eyes may not be the same as yours.Never be afraid to walk away if it doesn't meet your needs.

Reputable places to look for car listings online:

FBBO (well known members)

B.A.T. (bringatrailer.com)

eBay

Years ago, as part of my business, I'd do pre-purchase inspections. (I could write a book.) An experienced, trained eye is invaluable. Not only with the "authentication" stuff, but the mechanical/structural composition of the vehicle in consideration. I'll give you a quick example: a friend who worked at an insurance company recommended me to check a Chevy Nomad for his relative in the midwest. Photos looked good, his cousin (my friend) looked at the car, told them it was fantastic ! I went to look at it. {puke} It was junk. Besides many issues, the sides were washboards of bondo, and the vehicle was clipped... horribly ! I saved them THOUSANDS of dollars. Use due diligence, don't throw your money away.

With the number of fakes and perfumed pigs out there today, the money you pay for a good inspector is cheap compared to the cost of getting ripped off.
Otherwise, ask on a forum like this if anyone in the area the car is in can look at it for you. Send the guy a Benjamin or a gift certificate afterwards for his help.

If that’s your attitude, don’t come here whining if you end up with a perfumed pig.

You miss understand me, my apologies. I'm not ever going to buy a 60,000 dollar (or greater) car that just had an insane restoration done. I usually buy cars that need work the only difference is now the cars I'm looking at are much older and a little harder to come by in my area.
My plan is to do a tastful resto-mod. Eye-balling the 66-67 charger (since my bother thinks he is entitled to my father's 69 charger). Odds are, I'm not going to end up with anything "perfumed".

All three where bough of eBay over a couple of years,no complaints:thumbsup:

When I first read this topic I thought it meant what part of the country should you shop to buy a good classic car. I have to tout Southern Colorado, Northern New Mexico. New Mexico is nice because of the obvious weather factor but it also suffers from a weak economy. Therefore your dollar goes further than say California.

You miss understand me, my apologies. I'm not ever going to buy a 60,000 dollar (or greater) car that just had an insane restoration done. I usually buy cars that need work the only difference is now the cars I'm looking at are much older and a little harder to come by in my area.
My plan is to do a tastful resto-mod. Eye-balling the 66-67 charger (since my bother thinks he is entitled to my father's 69 charger). Odds are, I'm not going to end up with anything "perfumed".

No problemo. No matter what you buy, you still need to look at it in person or have someone with a good eye look at it for you. Everything looks good in pictures and the last thing you want is to get a car home and have it turn out to be something totally different that what you thought it was.

Auto Transport Service
Back