• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to hide msd ignition in a 1968 charger?

400sforever

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Where have you guys hidden msd ignitions in 68 chargers? I love to hide them under the battery trays on my 72-74 chargers but my 68 has the headlight canister under the tray. I’d rather not have it in the interior unless there’s a great spot. Thanks!

You can move it further down under the battery tray under you vacuum canister on the side of the frame rail. Still not really visible.

I mounted my MSD box under the frame that houses the headlights on the passenger side. The wire run is short to the distributor and nobody ever spots it. Fairly easy to access it from the lower valance area. Its been there for 10 years and has never given me any trouble.

My Charger is a radio delete car. The MSD 6AL (analog version) is mounted on a bracket behind the radio block off plate. I fabbed the bracket to bolt onto the factory radio mounts.
I'd rather listen to the engine music anyway.

I did the same in my Challenger. Made mounting panels and mounted everything up under the dash on the knee bar with long enough harnesses that they can be dropped for servicing. The switch panel is mounted to my halo bar.

20190828_220401 (1).jpg

20190828_203422 (1).jpg

20190828_213739 (1).jpg

20190828_220408 (004) (1).jpg

20190828_221005.jpg

I put mine inside the car on the passenger floor as high and close to center hump as I could. Worked good for me

It is best to mount it where it has good air circulation ( engine compartment somewhere) as ignitions can develop a lot of heat.

No good hiding places in the engine compartment other than under the battery tray. My solution was to mount it on the front of the core support and make it as unobtrusive as possible. With headers and other obviously non-stock parts under the hood, it didn’t make a lot of sense to put too much thought into it…

95BE7D29-7D3B-40E9-85E9-B5A649F0B99B.jpeg

Thanks for the ideas. .I can’t fit it under the battery tray next to the vacuum canister. .too tight there. .there isn’t enough room to mount it to the frame In that location.I’m trying to be stealthy so I may try to fab up some kind of bracket and mount it to the top of a bumper frame iron

I had one right above the passenger side kick panel, plenty of air there and totally hidden. Some folks have mounted them on the panel itself at the top edge.
Under the dash/on the inside firweall is great too if you have space.

No good hiding places in the engine compartment other than under the battery tray. My solution was to mount it on the front of the core support and make it as unobtrusive as possible. With headers and other obviously non-stock parts under the hood, it didn’t make a lot of sense to put too much thought into it…

View attachment 1435572
I have mine in the same spot.

Where have you guys hidden msd ignitions in 68 chargers? I love to hide them under the battery trays on my 72-74 chargers but my 68 has the headlight canister under the tray. I’d rather not have it in the interior unless there’s a great spot. Thanks!
i originally had mine like in post 9. But rewired the entire car and now it’s under the dash on passenger side. Not near kick panel but way up underneath. Easy because my car was missing the heater box!

MSD boxes do not like heat! Keep away best you can!

Under the dash, my Hyperspark is on a fabricated bracket. It is easily accessible, and hidden under the glovebox, in the space between the dash frame and heater box.

Auto Transport Service
Back