• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Edelbrock Carbs for Dual Quad Tunnel Ram?

67Satty

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
I currently have a Performer RPM with a Holley 850 DP on the car with a Weiand tunnel ram sitting on the shelf.

What would be a good pair of Edelbrock carbs to run on a 440 with mildly ported Edelbrock E Street 84cc heads, a Weiand tunnel ram, and .534 238 @ .050 hydraulic cam?

I have a pair of Holley 1850 va. secondary 600s I could try but from what I've been reading it sounds like I might have better luck with a pair of Edelbrocks.

Are the 1405 Edelbrock 600s a good choice?

I see Edelbrock has 500s that are meant for dual quads but they seem to be based on a Quadrajet?

This is in a 3600 pound '67 Satellite street car that I like to take to the track a few times a year. Thanks!

the 500cfm edelbrocks are not based on a quadrajet, also years ago I ran 2 holley 600's on a mild hemi with a crossram and they ran really good, I'd try them . food for thought.

I currently have a Performer RPM with a Holley 850 DP on the car with a Weiand tunnel ram sitting on the shelf.

What would be a good pair of Edelbrock carbs to run on a 440 with mildly ported Edelbrock E Street 84cc heads, a Weiand tunnel ram, and .534 238 @ .050 hydraulic cam?

I have a pair of Holley 1850 va. secondary 600s I could try but from what I've been reading it sounds like I might have better luck with a pair of Edelbrocks.

I see Edelbrock has 500s that are meant for dual quads but they seem to be based on a Quadrajet?

This is in a 3600 pound '67 Satellite street car that I like to take to the track a few times a year. Thanks!

I'm a huge fan of Edelbrocks.
1405 Edelbrocks would really wake that combination up.

I had a similar combo with Carter based 750s and it was awesome 11.04 ET.

I've run a tunnel ram on a 383 for years, started with Holley 390s, ran well, went to Holley 600s, way better, went to efi, even better.

It's nice to see a few tunnel ram questions lately.

I've run a tunnel ram on a 383 for years, started with Holley 390s, ran well, went to Holley 600s, way better, went to efi, even better.

It's nice to see a few tunnel ram questions lately.
received_10205881018658896.jpeg

8.90@155mph with 2 Edelbrocks.
They do work.

Most of this, IMO, is a carb tuning issue. I’ll give Edelbrock carbs an edge on the street friendly bassis of being able to be so easy going.
This is possible and probably the cheapest way to do it. 600’s are found used all the time inexpensively. However! How much can your engine/car combo effectively use? I KNOW someone will pop up and claim they put two dominators on top and it got 22 mpg’s. And will tell you more the merry! They always go faster with more cfm! And I’m not saying that is t true about the speed aspect of it, just wonder if that is what you would be OK with while your ACTUALLY DRIVING THE CAR IN TRAFFIC!
Your combo is mild.
The 500’s would provide a better throttle response.
Be more expensive unless you also purchase the 600’s new and not used? I’m not sure about brand new prices. The difference in new pricing is small ether way.

The Rochester Quadra-jet is like the Thermo-Quad and there nothing like the square bore Holley 4150/4160, Carter/Edelbrock carbs. The slight offset your finding is still considered a square bore carb. Spread bores have the huge off set with small or tiny primaries and large to huge secondaries.

This is not a arguable issue.

How much can your engine/car combo effectively use?

Your combo is mild.

This is not a arguable issue.

Well for the sake of argument/playing devil's advocate anyway, my combo is not as mild as the factory 440 6 pack combos that used 1350 cfm and were meant to run in all kinds of traffic conditions...

Looking at the generic tunnel ram kits on places like Summit and Jegs, it seems like they either go with 600 1850 Holleys or 600 1405 Edelbrocks for big blocks.

I counter this below,
Well for the sake of argument/playing devil's advocate anyway, my combo is not as mild as the factory 440 6 pack combos that used 1350 cfm and were meant to run in all kinds of traffic conditions...
With this reply;
You make a mistake here with the 6 pack cfm rating because the 2bbl carb is tested at a different depression than a 4bbl carb is.
When you do the math, a 6 pack is approximately 955 cfm. So, there’s that.
Also, in there stock application, there on a dual plane intake. Not a tunnel ram. Ask those that have been there and done that 6 pack carbs on a tunnel ram for there input.
Looking at the generic tunnel ram kits on places like Summit and Jegs, it seems like they either go with 600 1850 Holleys or 600 1405 Edelbrocks for big blocks.
Yes, this I know. Edelbrock has the twin 500’s on there dual plane intakes for small blocks. I don’t know what they recommend for the dual lane big blocks. I’d bet the same twin 500’s though.

The above writings (prior post) from me are more of a over view and what you’ll find in operational differences.

Now, IF you ask me what would I do, it would be 2-600 AFB carbs that are sitting on my shelf. If the carbs were to be new, then it would be 2-600 AVS-II carbs.
Speaking strictly on the use of the Edelbrock carb only.

OH, sorry, forgot to say, and no insult is ment here, but your, while not as mello as the 440-6, your also not setting the world on fire with your 440 and a cam @240@050. If anything, I like the basic combo and it is going to do well in the street for sure.

Anyways, have fun and good luck with your TR.

In order of appearance;

A gag shot of my M1-TR and a pair of TQ’s.
(Though I guess I could actually do that.)
My old and now sold Edelbrock TR5 w/the thin top.
My small block 6 pack. Engine being built now by me.
Found this Edelbrock dual plane, D-66 (or 64? It was the earlier model with the old bolt angle) modified intake sporting twin 600’s on a .030-360 w/ a mild Hyd roller, ported heads. (Test fitting shot.)
That’s my garbage.....

2D9E4219-6D7B-4A14-A0B8-E4E137FB9CE8.jpeg
B8BE4342-CE71-4FE1-B0AE-BC76E1C35D96.jpeg
3D6C30CC-B6B9-4E06-B1EC-57CFF2350B4E.jpeg
20E3231C-1BE5-46A0-A264-28F39DF38B5C.jpeg
0D12B5B7-3DD1-4DC4-8164-08E1BD7F4C95.jpeg

Last edited:
OH, sorry, forgot to say, and no insult is ment here, but your, while not as mello as the 440-6, your also not setting the world on fire with your 440 and a cam @240@050. If anything, I like the basic combo and it is going to do well in the street for sure.

Anyways, have fun and good luck with your TR.

I'm thinking of swapping the cam to a solid in the 250@ .050 range but not sure if that will be enough to set the world on fire either. LOL.

I'm thinking of swapping the cam to a solid in the 250@ .050 range but not sure if that will be enough to set the world on fire either. LOL.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

As long as your having fun.... screw’em!
Some of my small blocks are snotty little bastards.
As long as they stay in the lightened A body cars, they’ll good. 6 pack is going in my ‘73 E body.
:steering:

Size of carbs????
Thanks.

Started with Carter 750s and was 9.06-9.11
Then bought a set of Edelbock 800s AFBs and was a solid 8.90 to 8.97 car.
Went on the dyno with same 2 pairs of carbs on another engine.
588 wedge and the results were the same.
The Edelbrocks made 38 more hp over the Carter 750s.

Started with Carter 750s and was 9.06-9.11
Then bought a set of Edelbock 800s AFBs and was a solid 8.90 to 8.97 car.
Went on the dyno with same 2 pairs of carbs on another engine.
588 wedge and the results were the same.
The Edelbrocks made 38 more hp over the Carter 750s.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

As long as your having fun.... screw’em!
Some of my small blocks are snotty little bastards.
As long as they stay in the lightened A body cars, they’ll good. 6 pack is going in my ‘73 E body.
:steering:

There's always someone faster than you no matter who you are. Most people are cool about it so I don't care, I have fun either way.

Ignore those that tell you it’s too much cfm.... instead, go find out for yourself.
Tunnel rams have huge plenum volumes compared to just about any single 4 manifold and will swallow more cfm than conventional tuning wisdom would suggest. I’d install the thing with the two Holley 600’s you have in a heartbeat. They should really be about as good as anything atop your engine. My guess is that if you can get them tuned correctly, it will make as much or better power than your RPM / 850 combo, and will look killer.

I run the Eddy 750s on the race motor ,
9.0@150. Milder street /strip 440, low rise Weiand 2x4 with 2 600 Eddys, .557 purple shaft, stock Eddy heads, pump gas 10.0-1
11.30s in a street 65 Belvedere. Drivability is good.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back