• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offenhauser tunnel rams for 383 charger opinion

mouserider

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
Hey forum, anyone had any experience with Offenhauser 5908 ?
I want to get Offenhauser 5908 (base) + Offenhauser 5909 (dual quad top) , i have read on some forum threads that its quite street friendly tunnel ram, currently i have indy tunnel ram and it really not great at driving on streets. This Offenhauser is hard to find, but i see i can backorder it on summitracing, but since it will take several months and $$$$ i want to be sure its a good choice. Thank you

Tunnel rams weren't designed for good street manners. Nor are they better than a good 4 bbl.
But they have that great 70's look!

I would look for a used one on ebay,etc. Or a Weiand if you can find one. Drivability is all in the tune.

No way I would pay that much for just the bottom (what is listed on Summit).

The Indy TR is designed for use on MW sized heads(in a race application)….…..the Offy is not.

What heads are you running?

The title says “383”.
If that’s what you’re running it on, then either the Weiand, Offy, or MP will offer better street manners/response than the Indy………but it’s unlikely any are actually the “correct” part for the job.

If you just gotta have one, I echo the response to look for a used one.
I’d be shocked if Offy actually still manufactures those, but perhaps a call to the company would answer that question.

Last edited:
Tunnel rams weren't designed for good street manners. Nor are they better than a good 4 bbl.
But they have that great 70's look!
i take it!
The title says “383”.
If that’s what you’re running it on, then either the Weiand, Offy, or MP will offer better street manners/response than the Indy………but it’s unlikely any are actually the “correct” part for the job.

If you just gotta have one, I echo the response to look for a used one.
I’d be shocked if Offy actually still manufactures those, but perhaps a call to the company would answer that question.
Thank you, Indy is on stock heads, I agree it was not the right choice, but I got it quite cheap, I agree it’s not good, but it seems like it’s almost impossible to find weiand, offy for 383. What is mp?

Yeah, I just gonna have one, already spent few thousands on that 2x4 efi, and hood has a hole. (

MP is Mopar Performance.

They did offer one for a low deck BB, but not for very long.
They’re pretty rare.
Part number(not the casting number) P4529818

The Offy website still works…….you should contact them and see if those numbers (5908/5909) are something that’s still available.

Last edited:
MP is Mopar Performance.

They did offer one for a low deck BB, but not for very long.
They’re pretty rare.
Part number(not the casting number) P4529818

The Offy website still works…….you should contact them and see if those numbers (5908/5909) are something that’s still available.
oh seems like there is nothing being done new now, thats upsetting.

Nothing wrong with a tunnel ram on the street. It is all in the tune. I drive mine on the street, even with two 1050's. Obviously, not too concerned about gas mileage.

IMG_8666.jpg

photo0.jpeg

That’s the word from Offenhauser?
Not available?
called them, it is available through summitracing, but 1000$ =(

ok i found one weiand used for 500, would it be a better choice then new offy for 1k? Asking also about drivability and runner sizes, etc?

Last edited:
@mouserider What's the rest of your car's combination? Rear gears, converter stall, cam etc. Did you see the episode of Engine Masters when they did an intake comparison? A TR was part of the comparison....

I can attest to PRHeads' post. Your issues are most likely due to a mismatch with that INDY manifold. The short-runner rams aren't well suited for street use. The Weiand or (if you find one) Offy had longer runners and could be made to run very well on a street car. It takes quite a bit more effort though, and as has been said..."it's all in the combination"! I've been around, driven, and tuned on some tunnel rammed BB Mopars (chebbys too lol) that ran awesome on the street, and strip.
Have a chat with member "Matthon" here or over at FABO, he runs a tunnel ram on a 383 with dual FiTech injection and is very happy with it.

I have actually ran both of those (Offy and Weiand) on a 68 Charger I used to have. Like you, I ran a 383 with closed chamber 516 heads. I installed bigger valves, ran flat top pistons, and a Crane 528 hydraulic cam. Car was a 4 speed with 4.10 gears. I ran 2 small Carters on the Offy and 2 Holley double pumpers on the Weiand. Both had good street manners. As said above it ran quicker with a good intake and single Holley. But man, you can't beat that look!!
Have fun, whichever way you end up going!

@mouserider What's the rest of your car's combination? Rear gears, converter stall, cam etc. Did you see the episode of Engine Masters when they did an intake comparison? A TR was part of the comparison....
so its a stock 383 with i guess stock 2100 - 2300 stall? 2.83 gears, 270 mild cam, 2x4 sniper efi

Stock motor with a mild cam, stock converter and highway gears?

I would ditch the tunnel ram idea and run an Edelbrock Performer. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear, but it’s the simplest and most cost effective way to improve drivability.

Stock motor with a mild cam, stock converter and highway gears?

I would ditch the tunnel ram idea and run an Edelbrock Performer. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear, but it’s the simplest and most cost effective way to improve drivability.
not a solution unfortinately, im happy to keep trying to make this build work, im not using this car as daily, even now it gives me and everyone around pure joy, kids smiling. Also i already have a hole in a hood

A nice scoop and dual plane intake will take care of the hole.
See your local bodyman, he needs the money more than summit.
Plus your car will run better.
Or if you just have to spend money.....
Toss a blower set up on it, those kids will really smile and it will run better :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back