• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Electric Fuel pump and where to locate it - street driven only

I finished up the installation of all the NEW components, added fuel, opened the garage door, started the car. Fuel filter filled to
fuel filter.JPG
engine running.JPG
almost full, gas cap loose and ran the car at idle (850 RPMs) for about 25 minutes. Shut it off, walked to the front and saw the fuel filter was empty. Started it back up, fuel filter stayed (empty) but had almost 6 psi of pressure (intake was hot, but carb was cool, all fuel lines are cold. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes, fuel filter filled a little. Not enough to run under acceleration. SOOOOOOO.. What electric fuel pump is recommended????
added a few pics.. Yes.. '68 block is hemi orange.. my preference :) thx for your help and information! '67.JPG

Just out of curiosity here, what brand of gas are you using, and I wonder if the winter blend the refineries use is giving you grief. Another thing the fuel line that goes from fuel pump up to fuel filter, is that getting just warm enough causing some of the problems? Ive always wondered why the aftermarket additives no one has made something we can dump in the fuel to counteract the affects of ethanol

Gas is 91 Octane, 100% gas. no ethanol and is about 1 month old. Now, could the tank from the station been contaminated with ethanol blend.. could be... I wish there was an additive to combat ethanol.
I put my hand on the pump, block and hoses up to the carb, all way less than 150 degrees. Fan keeps that are somewhat cool.

I just need to find a good, fairly quite external inline pump. then find a good place to put it. i will not be cutting the new tank for a sump.
thx

I feel for you on this, it blows my mind that youve changed / fixed everything and still have the problem at such a low temperature. Without going back do you have a wooden or phenolic carb spacer on the motor? Im just wondering if fuel is becoming even more sensitive to temperature.

Can tell you to try his and that, but it sure would be nice to find out the root cause of the problem. Electric pump is a band aid. I can sat Carter electric rotary pumps are noisy and Holley's are too. Would you consider the 5 gallon can with a pipe to fuel pump trial? I bet your really going crazy and in fix it now mode. Good luck !!!!!

FYI.. at lunch I looked at the fuel filter.. ha, it was almost full!! of course, the engine is cold. Narrowing the issue down... as Purplebeeper stated, definitely vapor lock at the carburetor. question - will an electric fuel pump solve my problem?

Gas is 91 Octane, 100% gas. no ethanol and is about 1 month old. Now, could the tank from the station been contaminated with ethanol blend.. could be... I wish there was an additive to combat ethanol.
I put my hand on the pump, block and hoses up to the carb, all way less than 150 degrees. Fan keeps that are somewhat cool.

I just need to find a good, fairly quite external inline pump. then find a good place to put it. i will not be cutting the new tank for a sump.
thx
All gas has ethenol even 93 Octane ask someone that runs a dyno!

Did it do this before the cam change, if so maybe the fuel pump cam is not right?

great question. i did contact Comp Cam and provided the serial number of the cam. Comp said, it does have the fuel pump lobe on it. i thought that might be the problem also.. bummer no. thx

That could easily be checked by doing a fuel pump volume test. Easy to do; no special tools needed. Google it if you're interested...

Apologize for not keeping up here, had to hit the road for work. I FINALLY solved my fuel starvation (vapor lock) issue at the fuel filter. Solution = installing a return line on my '67. You are correct, there is not a return line available. Vapor pressure was overcoming the fuel pressure, hence the fuel in the fuel filter would keep reducing in the amount of fuel in it. With the temporary return line (1/4" with a .060" orifice) the filter stayed 3/4 to 7/8 full from idle up to 2500 RPM and engine at 185 degrees. Now, i have asked Right Stuff to build a 1/4" fuel line (might be toooo expensive) and i will add a 1/4" tube on the sending unit. I will also try the NAPA 3041 filter (with the return line port and oriffice in it). I will reply once i have the return line installed. I am running an electric fuel pump but will try the mechanical pump also.. thx

Auto Transport Service
Back