• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which hemi heads?

which hemi heads?

• stage v heads

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • mopar performance heads

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • indy heads

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These must me Indy 426 HI PO heads that list for $2499.00 Assembled from Indy. My question is what is Arruzza doing for the extra $1000.00?
These heads are the original Mopar Performance Heads that were cast by Canfield Cylinder Head only with the big intake valves. John at Canfield closed back in 2009 and sold the molds to Indy.

If you want my opinion. Michigan some of the best Chrysler engine builders in the country. I would contact Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head, or Best Machine, or Jakes Automotive, all from the Detroit Mi. area and have them sell you a set of heads

Buy local, this way if you have a problem then you have someone to go back to.
If down the road you need parts or need some work done you don't want to be sending your stuff to North Carolina.

These must me Indy 426 HI PO heads that list for $2499.00 Assembled from Indy. My question is what is Arruzza doing for the extra $1000.00?
These heads are the original Mopar Performance Heads that were cast by Canfield Cylinder Head only with the big intake valves. John and Canfield closed back in 2009 and sold the molds to Indy.

If you want my opinion. Michigan some of the best Chrysler engine builders in the country. I would contact Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head, or Best Machine, or Jakes Automotive, all from the Detroit Mi. area and have them sell you a set of heads

Buy local, this way if you have a problem then you have someone to go back to.
If down the road you need parts or need some work done you don't want to be sending your stuff to North Carolina.

i agree. i have heard horror stories from aruzza racing.

i agree. i have heard horror stories from aruzza racing.

what kinda horror stories have you heard about him if you dont mind sharing he sounds like a very knowlegable standup guy on the phone truthfully the sames been said about a lot of other parts venders there is a thread on this site about how horrible indy is to deal with, honestly one person may say ones great and another may say they suck but really who knows for sure unless you personally have been dealt that misfortune i appreciate you guy's input though and looking out for me so i dont get screwed i to question the money hes asking to is it worth it i just want the best i can get for my hard earned money and only want to buy them once i was all set to buy the stage v heads from him until i was talking to him and he was selling me on how much more superior these heads now are to the stage v heads he put it to me this way he has been using the stage v heads for years on his engines and they are an awesome head so for a head that would come along and make him change from those he said they would have to be pretty awesome and these he says are do you guys know anything about these new heads from indy i didnt really see anything about them on indys website thanks guys i really appreciate your help in making the right decision this is a very important part purchase for the engine as we all know the heads is one if not the best place you can spend your money.

I don't know much about Arruzza, I've only seen his stuff on Ebay. I'm not questioning his abilities. As far as Indy Cylinder Head... Great product but you will save your self a lot of grief buying from an Indy dealer.
I'm looking at it from the practical side. You're buying a head that no one really knows much about, from a builder who is 14 hrs away. Yet you have some places like Modern Cylinder Head who is probably one of the best cylinder head guys in the country right in your back yard.
By local, the local guys will be more willing to help you after the sale. Like I said, if you have a spring go away or a valve bend, you can take the whole dam car to Modern, Best or Jakes, if nothing else to help diagnose a problem.
If you buy off of Arruzza, you have to pull the head, ship it down to him so he can look at it, then what ever time it take him to turn it around and ship it back... Ask SSR, it's a pain in the *** dealing with builders that are long distance.

As far as who's heads to buy, I still lean towards Stage V but I wouldn't turn away a good deal on a set of Mopars or Indys.

I just don't see where you are saving any money with Arruzza.

http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=140 what about this guy and these stage v heads price seems reasonable i like the reputation and look of the stage v heads i dont think you will find anyone that will bad mouth stage v heads im just not familiar with this guys business and work, i have tried numerous times to contact jeff at modern machine and left messages but has never returned my calls but i have heard he has been sick this past year so thats probably why i hope hes doing ok now i'm all for supporting a guy here at home as long as the pricing is competitive and quality is the same as others which i have heard he is very good, i talked to i believe tim it is at fho and he quoted me like 5600 bucks on a set of stage v heads ready to bolt on thats way to high in my opinion for a set of heads i will try jeff again at modern and get a quote on a set of stage v and indys.

Who is building the motor?

I've seen Cassel web site, his prices are pretty good. Tim Banning is does great work; did his price include rockers also? Rockers will add another $1500.00 - $2500.00 to the cost of the heads.
You can buy a set of bare Stage V heads for $2000.00 DON'T skimp on the valve train. I know you're not racing this thing that much but trust me spend the money the first time it will save you in the long run.
Get good Stainless Valves, make sure the springs match the camshaft and get Stage V roller rockers. You will be set.
The problem I have with assembled heads is you don't know what springs you're going to need until you pick the camshaft. If nothing else buy the bare heads from Cessel and have Jake or Best assemble them for you.

If you can't get a hold of Jeff try this guy. http://www.jakesautomotive.com/

I don't know much about Arruzza, I've only seen his stuff on Ebay. I'm not questioning his abilities. As far as Indy Cylinder Head... Great product but you will save your self a lot of grief buying from an Indy dealer.
I'm looking at it from the practical side. You're buying a head that no one really knows much about, from a builder who is 14 hrs away. Yet you have some places like Modern Cylinder Head who is probably one of the best cylinder head guys in the country right in your back yard.
By local, the local guys will be more willing to help you after the sale. Like I said, if you have a spring go away or a valve bend, you can take the whole dam car to Modern, Best or Jakes, if nothing else to help diagnose a problem.
If you buy off of Arruzza, you have to pull the head, ship it down to him so he can look at it, then what ever time it take him to turn it around and ship it back... Ask SSR, it's a pain in the *** dealing with builders that are long distance.

As far as who's heads to buy, I still lean towards Stage V but I wouldn't turn away a good deal on a set of Mopars or Indys.

I just don't see where you are saving any money with Arruzza.

Who is building the motor?

I've seen Cassel web site, his prices are pretty good. Tim Banning is does great work; did his price include rockers also? Rockers will add another $1500.00 - $2500.00 to the cost of the heads.
You can buy a set of bare Stage V heads for $2000.00 DON'T skimp on the valve train. I know you're not racing this thing that much but trust me spend the money the first time it will save you in the long run.
Get good Stainless Valves, make sure the springs match the camshaft and get Stage V roller rockers. You will be set.
The problem I have with assembled heads is you don't know what springs you're going to need until you pick the camshaft. If nothing else buy the bare heads from Cessel and have Jake or Best assemble them for you.

If you can't get a hold of Jeff try this guy. http://www.jakesautomotive.com/

Couldn,t have said it better myself.:icon_eyes:Kevin,your making WAY too much sence:headbang:

Kevin,your making WAY too much sence:headbang:[/QUOTE]

Now that's not something I hear every day. LOL...

Hey, just talking from experence. Did you ever notice that when you break a valve in one cylinder it also take out about 4 or 5 other ones also.

Kevin,your making WAY too much sence:headbang:

Now that's not something I hear every day. LOL...

Hey, just talking from experence. Did you ever notice that when you break a valve in one cylinder it also take out about 4 or 5 other ones also.[/QUOTE]

Yes,that when I learned the definition of "reversion":angry9:

Attachments

• DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 739
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 714
Hemi-ItIs Ouch that looks very expensive, sorry to see your engine wreckage, did it wipe out the blower too, wow that could be some serious carnage...

Koffels, Mancini Racing, Ray Barton, INDY, Mopar Performance Stage V or VI, for all out stuff BAE Brad Anderson Engineering, Alan Johnson & others I'm sure... you can't go wrong with any of them, if you set them up properly, proper length/sizes pushrods/valves & spring/retainers, lash caps sizes, rocker geometry/style & ratios, oiling type, port configuration & volume depends on what your doing with them, how much flow you need, what bore sizes, any blower, turbos, N20, what intake & exhaust manifold types, compression ratios, etc... A high quality cylinder head/porter machinist guy is an absolute must have the cylinder heads, aren't the place/parts to be price shopping for discount stuff, quality heads done properly will make the biggest difference of any part... IMHO...

Koffels, Mancini Racing, Ray Barton, INDY, Mopar Performance Stage V or VI, for all out stuff BAE Brad Anderson Engineering, Alan Johnson & others I'm sure... you can't go wrong with any of them, if you set them up properly, proper length/sizes pushrods/valves & spring/retainers, lash caps sizes, rocker geometry/style & ratios, oiling type, port configuration & volume depends on what your doing with them, how much flow you need, what bore sizes, any blower, turbos, N20, what intake & exhaust manifold types, compression ratios, etc... A high quality cylinder head/porter machinist guy is an absolute must have the cylinder heads, aren't the place/parts to be price shopping for discount stuff, quality heads done properly will make the biggest difference of any part... IMHO...

i don't have a problem with having to spend 4 grand for a set of heads not looking for discount priced parts the word cheap and hemi don't go togethor thats not an issue but when 1 guy has a set heads listed for lets say 4 grand and someone else has the same ones for like 3 grand it makes you question what are you getting from the guy with the higher priced ones and what are you not getting from the lower priced guy hell a grand difference will by my pistons i guess it just comes down to reputation, quality of work and parts used i understand you get what you pay for thats why i didnt by a mopar crate motor and decided to build my own my way and have it done right the first time and not have to fork out 13 grand all at one time hell i've been buying parts and pieces for this build for almost 2 years now and it hasn't even went to the machine shop as of yet after getting these heads out of the way i will be done with all the big ticket items and the wallet can have a rest for a while and maybe my wife will let me sleep back inside the house again lol.

You need to talk to someone to make sure the combination of parts is one that will work together. I see so many collect parts that were "good deals" then take it to an engine builder and find out the combination is all wrong. Post the list of parts you have and the goal you're trying to achieve. Buy what you need to accomplish that goal and the price is what it is. It'd be stupid to buy Stage V Millennium heads just for building a 700hp pump gas engine and it'd be just as dumb to buy MP/Edelbrock hemi heads for all out 1200hp nitrous hemi no matter how good the deal is.....

BTW to go 11.50 in that car, you could use out of the box MP/edelbrock heads if the rest of the combo is right....

Well i just sold my indy 426 legend heads and stepped it up a little more.
I went with the indy 426-1RA CNC ported heads with the larger 2.40 intake valve. i went with a titanium valve.

I know this post is old but how'd you like the Indy IRA heads? I am building an all aluminum 605, Keith Black block. I will be drag racing this car, its a 68 Dart built to SS/AH chassis specs. I was told that the IRA head would be better than the IRA6 head for a heavier car because of the torque numbers. I can't decide between FHO's stage v heads or Indy's IRA/IRA6 head

Wow, old post from the past. I have Mopar heads on my 528" reworked, big solid roller cam and RBRE rocker system. Street driven and doesn't do half bad at the track either. All of the brands mentioned are top of the line products. Can't go wrong with any of them. It comes down to cost, but anything with the word Hemi is never going to be cheap.

rsz_20151008_074929.jpg rsz_20160414_201144.jpg IMG9505711.jpg

In regards to the Hansen Stage V Milleneum raised port heads...although they are absolutely the best HorsePower head (my Hemi makes 1011HP on the Dyno) they demand a very special intake manifold because of their raised port design. NO normal intake manifold, be it a dual quad, single plane (Edelbrock, Barton or Indy) or off the shelf Tunnel Ram (such as Hogan) will NOT bolt onto those heads as the 8 attaching bolts on each side of the intake manifold will NOT line up with the threaded holes in the head. For Hemis Only (FHO) in Canada makes an adapter plate to allow these Stage V Hansen Milleneum Heads to receive a normal intake manifold but then you lose the benefit of the raised ports. The 572 HEMI in my 64 Belvedere has Hansen Stage V raised port Millenium heads but the intake manifold on my motor was a hand fabricated aluminum Tunnel Ram produced by Dick Landy Industries. I tried to put on a regular INDY Single Plane when I had the Tunnel Ram off the motor (for normal motor servicing) but that manifold would just not fit...that is when I began the research on the raised port heads, etc, etc, and found out all this information.

24.jpg 2.jpg

Nice thread going back for TEN years lol.

I'm building a 528ci MP hemi with MP heads and was wondering if I should go for the Edelbrock Juniors now?
I am personally disappointed with the name JUNIOR but 'hey ho' what's in a name if they work?

Revised exhaust angle which is fine but I'm hoping they will work with my low comp 9 to 1 MP pistons?
Hoping to run twin turbo sometime in the future, or maybe 'straight off the bat' if finances work out...

Limey John

Auto Transport Service
Back