Which ignition coil can handle constant 12V: UPDATE - car running

Electrical & Ignition

1. Canadian1968

Canadian1968 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:52 AM
    I am playing around with the idea of the HEI ignition module swap inside one of our original orange boxes. Done a lot of reading it seems pretty straight forward. The biggest thing i have read, in order to take full advantage of this swap you need a coil that can handle a constant 12v. Unlike most coils that require the ballast resistor on our fire wall to drop working voltage to 8-9v range.

I know most of the articles say to use an E-coil, but I am trying to keep it looking stock with a canister style coil. Wondering if anyone has found a coil that can handle the extra juice.??

2. HALIFAXHOPS

HALIFAXHOPS MSGT(ret) and MOPAR only distributor rebuilder! FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:52 AM
    Look for one that has internall resistance of 1.5 ohms, petronix make one.

• Like Like x 1
    • threewood

threewood FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      8:52 AM
      Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • AR67GTX

AR67GTX Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I thought the ballast resister was to protect the points from burning, not so much the coil? But in any event, a coil from any electronic ignition company whose instructions call for taking the ballast resister out of the system - Pertronix or MSD would be a couple.

• Canadian1968

Local Time:
        It turns out an accel (super stock) coil I have has 1.4 ohm. Perfect !

• Like Like x 1
        • Canadian1968

Local Time:
          Well after a bunch of reading both from different sites including MSD site itself, The coil on the car right now is a MSD street fire . Directly from MSD instructions it's says " if using points ignition a Ballast resistor MAYBE required " I stress that maybe point .

Anyway I did the hide away HEI 4 prong swap and the car fired right up. I hate to admit but the car idea smoother and the throttle response seems a bit more crisp .

BUT one thing I noticed . I took some readings before I unhooked anything . The regular mopat orange box and coil gave me a reading of 9.5v at idlel and a 4.5amp draw.

With the HEI module I am getting full battery - 13.4v but only 2.2 amps I thought that was interesting .

I wonder if u put in a matching E-coil if it would change that .

The car also leaned out quite a bit on my wide band..... very interesting . Waiting for rain to stop will take it for a drive next

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.