• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is better and why? Old 440 or newer 6.4?

Qbrozen

Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Kind of a situation-specific question. I have been away for a very long time. Life got in the way and my Coronet has been sitting dormant with the engine in pieces. I want to do something with it, but I just don't have the time, so I'm thinking of farming it out. Anyway, in short, it is an R/T with a period-correct 440, but not numbers matching and not the hi-po version that should be in there. I had bought a bunch of parts for it, such as the edelbrock intake, carb, cams, and valve springs. The big question, though, should I continue down this path and have the 440 finished as is? Should it be rebuild from the bottom up with the goal of 450-500hp? Or should I go with a crate 6.4? There are so many things to take into consideration, but I think the biggest one for me would be: which would be more desirable? Since it isn't numbers matching anyway, originality is kind of out the window. But would the car be worth more with a period-correct big block that has been resto-modded or with a reliable and possibly higher-powered and fuel injected modern engine?

So that's the big topic. Smaller topics:
1. Anybody know a good place in or near NJ for this work? I have reached out to 5 or 6 places and only 1 person replied (more on this below).
2. I'm a little confused about the transmission issue. Will the BB 727 mate with a 6.4 crate? I have found SB plates, but nothing yet on BB. I know the 6.4 is a SB, so I guess the question is if there is a plate to convert the BB trans to a SB? Or can the bell housings be swapped??

On the whole "someone to do the work," I think I'm scaring them off. I just have NO IDEA what this work costs. The one who responded said "I won't give an estimate through email. I have to see it." Ok, it doesn't run and is in boxes, so how the hell am I supposed to do that? I even broke it down to, what I thought, was a simple ask. I said "how much to remove the 440, rebuild it to 450-500hp, and reinstall it?" He still said "I have to see it." Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think that should be something that could be estimated. Obviously, if the block is cracked, that changes things, but just say that. "If ..... then .... $xxxxx." I mean, what do folks do? Trailer the car to them, drop it off, and give a blank check? OK, I'm sure some do. Like I said in my emails to them, I just need to know if we're talking $10k or $100k.

It's a shame you are not in Oklahoma, as I can recommend three different Mopar-specific shops in OK to do the work you want.

Old 440, why? Because. :lol:

Also you have all the parts, why not just do it.

How much does a gen3 hemi cost, how much does everything cost to swap it, and that includes every nut, bolt, adapter, whatever other little thing.

Build a 440, be done and have fun

I kind of doubt the parts I have will result in 450-500hp. No idea for sure, though. I'm seeing crate 6.4s for under $8k. But, yeah, there is likely a lot more to throwing one into a B body.

440 all the way. No need to make it 500 HP. Just rebuild it and enjoy it. It sounds like you have alot of the stuff already. I recommend doing as much of it yourself as possible. If you have to pay somebody to do everything, it gets real expensive, and takes all the fun out of it. I doubt there are many shops out there that have any idea about working on these cars. When you ask them for an estimate, they are overwhelmed immediately. Maybe break it down into smaller tasks, like finding a machine shop to do the motor, first.

And it sounds like all you need is heads and headers, and you’ll be in he 450-500hp range. What you have will be plenty of fun too. What’s your goal? Cruising, burnouts, and noise? You’ll accomplish that.

There are usually 450-500HP 440 crate engines that have some sort of warrantee for 9k-11K. Here is one example.
Big-Block Mopar Crate Engines

Another on eBay. I know nothing about these guys, just a 8K+ example.MOPAR 440 ENGINE ASSEMBLY HP HYD CAM IRON HEAD street/strip 500hp ready 2 run | eBay

Then I would guess 4K or 7K to have it installed depending on where your at, if you have all the parts. Putting a 440 back where a 440 was isn’t difficult at all. Quite a few of us on here can do that in our sleep.

The 6.4 swap might be 6K for the engine, does that have a warrantee? Will it make 500HP?You will also need a small block 727 or 904 trans instead of the big block 727, add that to the cost. Then a lot of wiring work, intank FI pump conversion, and hiring the little stuff done for the modern stuff is terribly expensive, probably 4 or 5 times what it would be to put the 440 back it. That is were 10K projects turn into a 100K resto mod.

I will take the 440 over a 6.4 anyway. Our 500 HP 510 with iron heads once averaged almost 18mpg on a 350 mile round trip, with a chit ton of 1/4 mile passes (made it to the finals) averaged into the trip. Well chosen parts 500 HP is a piece of cake. Power is in the heads.

Last edited:
Build a 440, be done and have fun
Cost it would be less then a conversion to a 6.4
What’s your goal?
A car with resale value ? A modern marvel ?
Cruising, burnouts, and noise?

That is my life's goal. :)
Sounds like the 440 will get it done.You have enough parts already. No need to find a tranny as the 727 will do all 3 items you have listed above.
My 2 cents is I am old school and a fan of Ma Mopar of the 60's-80's. Not into technology.

Very subjective topic. My view: I prefer the look, feel, sound, smell, EXPERIENCE of the old-school engine in the cars I grew up with. If I want modern muscle, I go out and buy a new LX ( 300, Charger, Challenger ) car, which I have. A few years ago, I would've done the job for you. Not much to choose in NJ, my machinist retired years ago.

If it is a REAL R/T, try not to screw it up too bad. There were not too many of these cars made. I would keep the 440 and get 400-450 h.p. out of it. That's all you need for good reliable street fun. If it was just a regular '67 Coronet, I would say let your cheque book be your guide. They made 10,000's of these, so there is nothing special about most of them. I am more than a little biased, since I own a 440-powered 1967 R/T.

To me, 440 all the way. So tired of LS, Coyote and GenIII Hemi swaps in old classics. Old classics need to still look and be classics. And, that is coming from someone with a newer Challenger. I like the car, but I would never ruin a classic for its drive train. It is my daily fair weather driver. I like it for its classic looks, comfort, decent mileage, decent power, nice and quiet, but like it for different reasons than I do my classics.

One more thing. Other than building the engine and installing it, are you planning to be able to drive it away? Will the mechanical work be enough ?
Around my parts rebuilding heads are in the $1000 to $1200 range.Short block build should be in the $2500-$3500 maybe $4000.
Now a fresh 727 rebuild that should be done,$1200. Lots of other items also need to be addressed.Radiator,and associated items,
along with any drivetrain/brake work lets add another $1000-$1500. Going to the labor (some had been included in the rebuild)
off the cuff say 50 hours @ $100 per hour $5000. High end estimate $11700. Ok add another $500 just because. $12200 should be in the ball park and should get it up and running/driving.
I did this work up until about 6 years ago when I no longer physically could do it. Not saying this is exact, but just a thought.

Last edited:
May I ask what year is the Coronet ?

I kind of doubt the parts I have will result in 450-500hp. No idea for sure, though. I'm seeing crate 6.4s for under $8k. But, yeah, there is likely a lot more to throwing one into a B body.
And 8 grand more plus labor.

Oh, did I miss that? It is a '67. Yes, it is a real R/T, but, like I said, not a numbers matching engine, so I feel like, once original engine is gone, everything is out the window.

In any case, everyone says 440, which is how I was leaning.

I have lifts going in my garage next week, which would help me tremendously, BUT I am also trying to get a car dealership off the ground, and those cars always need something, so that takes up my time on top of my current 9-5 office gig on top of keeping our personal fleet going. It is A LOT. And the Coronet is always at the bottom of the pile.

Oh, did I miss that? It is a '67. Yes, it is a real R/T, but, like I said, not a numbers matching engine, so I feel like, once original engine is gone, everything is out the window.

In any case, everyone says 440, which is how I was leaning.

I have lifts going in my garage next week, which would help me tremendously, BUT I am also trying to get a car dealership off the ground, and those cars always need something, so that takes up my time on top of my current 9-5 office gig on top of keeping our personal fleet going. It is A LOT. And the Coronet is always at the bottom of the pile.
There is no such thing as numbers matching in a 67.
You can get a block with the right casting date, the correct manifolds etc... and there is really no way to tell if the engine is original or not.
So everything is not "out the window"

Well, like I said in the first post, it isn't an HP, so definitely not original

Being a real R/T will mean nothing if you put a new style engine in it. A real R/T is a rare car in the overall scheme of things and I think it would be a shame to try to "modernize" it. JMO. Any addition value of an R/T over a standard Coronet will be gone if you mess it up.
The 440 will do everything you ask of it for everyday driving, you can add aftermarket EFI to the 440 if you feel you must modernize it.

I put my '67 R/T on the road over 30 years ago. It was missing its original power train when I bought it. Now it has a 1968 New Yorker 440 and 727 in it, dressed like a '67 Magnum.I did not like the original bronze colour and black vinyl top, so changed it to factory available Daffodil Yellow. In 30 years, NO ONE has ever busted my chops about these changes. In fact, I have won a couple of awards at Carlisle with this car. Obviously, if it were my car, I would keep it as stock looking as possible, with a 440. You could personalize it with your choice of interior and exterior colour, and style of wheels/tires. However, at the end of the day, it is your car to build it your way. There were only about 12,000 1967 R/T's built, compared to nearly 90,000 GTO's, the same year.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back