• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the better rear 9 1/4 or 8 3/4?

msarni1

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I just got a 70 coronet with a 9 1/4 rear. Is the 9 1/4 better then a 8 3/4?

They used those 9 1/4" Danas in the late 70s pick-ups and had many problems with them. I think the 8 3/4" is a better rear and there are likely more gear sets available too.

Ummm, isn't that a 9-3/4 DANA your talking about?

I have a 9-1/4 in my Magnum The bigger gears should translate into more stregth. There is a OK selection of gears to choose from. Parts are still made today for them. The same rear, with minor mods to it, are used in the Ram trucks.

Ummm, isn't that a 9-3/4 DANA your talking about?

I have a 9-1/4 in my Magnum The bigger gears should translate into more stregth. There is a OK selection of gears to choose from. Parts are still made today for them. The same rear, with minor mods to it, are used in the Ram trucks.

I am not sure who you are responding to but if it is me I can tell you that the 70 Coronet with a /6 in it could very easily have a 9 1/4" Dana as well as the mid-late 70s trucks.

Yes I was. And as far as what was available with what, I have seen to much to ever so no way, no matter how weird it may seem. The oly limitation would be was it replaced and/or was it made that year?

Anybody can swap it around. So, stock it may not be. But as long as it runs.....who cares? ;)

The 9 1/4 is a Chrysler unit and not a Dana and although it's possible it could have came in a car, it's highly unlikely it came in a /6 car. It was mostly used in pickups and vans and was considered a medium/heavy duty axle. Yeah, they had some trouble with them over the years but it wasn't a constant problem. Even the 8 3/4 went through a spell when it gave problems. Is it better than the 8 3/4? I would say the 8 3/4 is probably a better just because of it's design. Better for us but more costly to build for the factory. If the 9 1/4 is good and working well, I don't see any reason to swap it out.....
Mopar_axle.jpg

9 1/4 units didnt start showing up until the mid 73 - 74 year runs in b bodies, c bodies and trucks, though you could still get an 8 3/4 unit if ordered.

they are strong units, the only true difference is gear ratio selection, but it is a wide selection. the positive side is that there are many suregrip's out there on ebay due to the longevity of the 9 1/4 being produced for more than 30 years.

trucks will have the 5 x 5 1/2" bolt pattern on the axles starting in 1985 i believe, so if someone was to purchase one, make sure you measure the bolt spacing before you plant it in your old mopar.

I have a Truck Mag that was listing and talking about the Dodge truck rearend over the years. When they got to the 9 1/4 rear they had nothing bad to say about it. They sad it was a strong rearend and could handle 35" tires. Meaning the axles are strong also. So I would say you are good and they are starting to make some aftermarket parts for them.

In more recent times, the 9 1/4 had pinion bearing failures....but that was probably due to poor quality bearings or too high of preload settings at the factory and even tho I find listings that go back to 66, I didn't start seeing them until the middle 70's.

I believe I have a 9 1/4 in my Dak R/T. It is 3.91 and SG. 115,000 miles and zero problems. not a total lead foot but it has been used as intended :)

I also believe there are LOTS of 3:55 geared 9 1/4s floating around out there.

isnt the 9.25 a c clip type rear? I dont want an axle passing me at the track.

The 9 1/4 is a Chrysler unit and not a Dana and although it's possible it could have came in a car, it's highly unlikely it came in a /6 car. It was mostly used in pickups and vans and was considered a medium/heavy duty axle. Yeah, they had some trouble with them over the years but it wasn't a constant problem. Even the 8 3/4 went through a spell when it gave problems. Is it better than the 8 3/4? I would say the 8 3/4 is probably a better just because of it's design. Better for us but more costly to build for the factory. If the 9 1/4 is good and working well, I don't see any reason to swap it out.....
Mopar_axle.jpg

8 3/4 came in my 73 Rallye(listed on my fender tag) and came in some 74's, so your chart is a little off.

Ive had a couple of mid 80s 4x4 with the 9.25. Always held up. I know several trucks with them. A friend has had his for 20 yrs with no issues turning 35s on a 5500 pound truck

i ran a ramcharger with a 9 1/4 rear end with a Detroit locker 4.56 gears and 38.5"x14.50 tires. used and abused in the rockies with no issues.

8 3/4 came in my 73 Rallye(listed on my fender tag) and came in some 74's, so your chart is a little off.
It's a chart I found on the net....and it's a guide and not gospel and I put it up so if there was anyone that didn't know the differences in look could see them. Also, the 8 3/4 ran up until 74 in E bodies.

The chart didn't say that the 9 1/4 was the only rear found in those years. It say it was MOSTLY found. The chart isn't off, you just read it how you wanted to read it.

isnt the 9.25 a c clip type rear? I dont want an axle passing me at the track.
Overrated fear. Yea, it happens. But it's still an overeated fear. I'd like to know who has the c-clip eliminator for them.
Spliting hair is a problem. LOL. That's also why in my first reply I mentioned what I did the way I did because with Mom MoPar, you never fully know. It's amazing what pops up from time to time.

Overrated fear. Yea, it happens. But it's still an overeated fear. I'd like to know who has the c-clip eliminator for them.

Spliting hair is a problem. LOL. That's also why in my first reply I mentioned what I did the way I did because with Mom MoPar, you never fully know. It's amazing what pops up from time to time.
Yup, I agree about the C clip fear is over rated but it sucks when it happens lol. And the Big 3 all had their quirks when building cars. Anyone remember the auto strike in the mid 60's? My sister just happened to wreck her 65 Mustang and back then they didn't use junkyard parts or junk from China for repairs and there were no new parts available to make repairs and she had to wait. A friend bought a new 66 Mustang 6 banger and it came with the V8 running gear including springs, 5 lugs wheels, larger brakes, and 8" rear end.

It's a chart I found on the net....and it's a guide and not gospel and I put it up so if there was anyone that didn't know the differences in look could see them. Also, the 8 3/4 ran up until 74 in E bodies.

Other kids took your toys alot when you were a kid, I bet.
I never thought it was gospel, only stated that for other people to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back