• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which models are factory equipped with power steering coolers and why?

Dibbons

Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Should I consider installing power steering coolers? I have early A body and late B body models. Thank you.

Interesting question, and there is some debate about which cars have them. I believe most 68-71 Hemi, TA, and AAR cars had them as well as some others with 340-440 cars up to 74. Not sure about 75 and later and not sure if there is any relation to max cool options on a car and the ps cooler.

Maybe Moparmark will chime in, he is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.

I thought it was an option on 440 cars and standard in hemi cars because of the increased weight over the front suspension.

It's not so much as the weight that causes heat build up but by high speed driving. The higher the rpm is, the more heat that's generated in the pump. That little sliding vane pump can produce a good deal of it. I had a 77 440 powered cop car with a PS cooler and our 2000 Durango with trailer tow package has one as did my 70 440 Challenger.

- - - Updated - - -

Should I consider installing power steering coolers? I have early A body and late B body models. Thank you.
Had a 71 340 Cuda without the cooler and it never boiled the fluid out....and it saw high rpm quite often....

My 69 Charger R/T had one on it.

I thought it was part of the max cooling option, and/or rear axle package cars. My 71 R/T charger 440 non air, standard cooling, standard axle 3.23 non sure grip, does not have a PS cooler

I run a aftermarket one since swapping to a 440, my old headers hit the steering unit and would heat it up and puke fluid out the vented cap, it also caused the copper oring on the inlet tube to wear out. Now I run a big trans cooler type solid with fins mounted up front. even though my TTI's dont hit I still like having it run cooler. I have the federal pump not the saginaw not sure which one the oem cooler went with?

Good question. I had a 70 Roadrunner with it. Automatic transmission. I have spent a lot of time looking at cars at Carlilse trying to figure out what cars had them and what didn't. Mostly 70's I look at because that is what I own. Is it transmission or ??????

Well my 72 rallye charger has a factory one installed the eng is a 340 mag and it was an auto hope this helps ,(I don't think it's much needed) but it's here and working so it will stay .
My opinion if your driveing it like a sane person you won't need it . If your going to drive your car like you stole it 99% of the time it won't hurt to put it on good luck

72RR/GTX 4-spd
71 Charger R/T 4-spd.
Both with 3.54 Dana and both have coolers.
Believe T/A and ARR have them.
Think that Track Pack, Super Track Pack, max cooling and towing packages have them.

Cop cars had them...well, the 74 I yanked a 400 out of did.

Auto Transport Service
Back