• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which type valve cover gaskets???

CjVan

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im trying to figure out which valve cover gaskets to use on my 440v8 67 belvedere... I've already tried the fram black paper/rubber infused gaskets from fram and it leaks like a mofo... today im going to install a set of pure rubber valve cover gaskets which are made by fram and ill be using grey silicone. hopefully it seals finally

Which Valve cover gaskets do you guys find fit and seal with NO LEAKS?

IF you are using the original equipment valve covers, trial fit them first to make sure the sides are centered over the rails on the heads. The covers have a habit of spreading, and when they do you can't make them seal no matter what you do

Im using those black mopar valve covers as seen in the picture.
The leaks come from pretty much all over... i did use the wrong silicone at first (red hitemp)

fa31d81b.jpg

whats the right sealant to use and what are the differences? I sort of thought pretty much any silicone or rtv would work for valve covers. I have been using black rtv and it seems to work ok.

I use RTV "copper with the paper/rubber infused gaskets...I clean the gasket area with break cleaner on a rag then I put the RTV on the gasket surface area and spread the RTV down the side of the head on the inside to over lap the seam just a little then install the gasket and covers.I don't have any oil leaking any more.But keep in mined if you use to much RTV it could end up breaking off and going into places you don't want it.

RTV Copper link below:

http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42301/81878

This is the one I just bought and plan to use

DisplayImage.asp

Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...gid_High-Torque_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

dang it, are you serious? Will the silicone be able to tell the diff?

Fel Pro makes awesome decently priced gaskets I have the as cast valve covers i am painting and putting on mine,I am using rtv black from permatex,its high heat and oil resistant,going easy with it though!! Fel Pro makes an entire gasket set for your 440,that seems to be spot on for the o.e.m applications!!

Yeah right now i have the felpro rubber infused paper gasket with orange hi-temp slicone and it leaks, fresh install too so its not old age... Today hopefully i have time to install the 100% rubber gaskets. they have these tabs that look like they hook on the outter edge of the valve cover for ease of installation but probably wont help me since my mopar covers dont look like they have the knotches in them to hold.

I have the rubber gaskets those were what i was refering to should have specified,god luck!!

I have the rubber/cork and the same valve covers and no leaks. I don't use any other crap, Just the gaskets. You can put a little on the cover to hold the gasket in place but that would be all I would use.

I use cork gaskets with Permatex on the valve cover side.This is what I have always used and never have any leaks and I am able to take the valve cover off and on.

Well i installed the gaskets and used silicone. I think its sealing... I did smell oil burning alittle on the way home but once I was close it stopped... but lastnite it made some smoke (for 5 seconds) when i was moving my car from the street to the car port. No smoke this morning just the smell of burning oil for 5 minutes once the engine was warm.

I did discover that the silicone i bought wasnt ultimate grey... turns out it was moto grey lol... for motorcycles and lawnmowers lol.... I used it anyway... if the leaks dont stop ill take 1badStoker's advice and get the cork/rubber gaskets and be done with it.

1badstroker: does your name have some innuendo attached to it? :)

MOROSO blue rubber gaskets.... the best stuff out there...they are a re-useable gasket, no RTV .... plus they have a metal insert in the middle .... no leaks and you can remove they valve cover as often as you like !

I have always used the cork/rubber gaskets with a quick shot of Permatex Hi-Tack on both sides, usually wavy stamped steel covers, and life has been good!

I have always used the cork/rubber gaskets with a quick shot of Permatex Hi-Tack on both sides, usually wavy stamped steel covers, and life has been good!

yeah, the correct gasket also depends on the type of valve cover .... a valve cover with a flat mating surface vs one with a lip, the gasket for the flat surface cover will not seal one with a lip as good

Auto Transport Service
Back