• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which type valve cover gaskets???

hey there, CJ Van, no, it just fits the motor in my coronet.

should not need any sealant to seal properly..if covers are in good shape..

well the driverside valvecover leaks... im pissed, ill just pay someone to do it for me.

MOROSO blue rubber gaskets.... the best stuff out there...they are a re-useable gasket, no RTV .... plus they have a metal insert in the middle .... no leaks and you can remove they valve cover as often as you like !

I've tried them. They leaked like crazy.

I've tried them. They leaked like crazy.

I've tried them too and had the same results. First time I fired up they leaked and when I pulled them off to check they had split and seperated right at the metal edge... Complete waste of money IMO.

The comment about flat bottom vs lipped covers is right on the money though. I replaced my "cheapo" chrome Moroso covers with some fabricated aluminum covers with flat bottom and haven't been able to get the leaks stopped since. Flat bottom covers are extremely hard to keep sealed. I have tried every gasket and sealer known to man I think.:eusa_boohoo: One issue I do have that I need to resolve before I try any other gasket or sealer is to cut the oil flow going to my heads. I have way too much oil going up top and need to put some restricters in the lines. I am hoping that the reduced flow will not only help at the valve cover leaks but also my valley pan leaks.

MOROSO blue rubber gaskets.... the best stuff out there...they are a re-useable gasket, no RTV .... plus they have a metal insert in the middle .... no leaks and you can remove they valve cover as often as you like !
I have those same covers and they tore my 50.00 Moroso gaskets all up and leaked like crazy. The exhaust side of gasket stripped right off of metal core.

I use cork gaskets with Permatex on the valve cover side.This is what I have always used and never have any leaks and I am able to take the valve cover off and on.
Better mouse trap and all that! If it ain't broke don't fix it! Cork is old school and has always worked. Rubber of any kind is trouble!

Try these. They are steel core and reuseable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-93055/media/images/make/dodge

Just a tip. You are never supposed to use RTV AND a gasket. Always one or the other but never both. That's why it's called. "silicone gasket maker". The only exceptions are when you have coolant passages such as intake gaskets or timing cover gaskets and only then do you need to apply a THIN film on both sides of the gaskets just around the openings where coolant comes through.

I use cork gaskets with Permatex on the valve cover side.This is what I have always used and never have any leaks and I am able to take the valve cover off and on.

Bingo! 100% This is what I use. Also, for the record don't feel bad. I have never had a set of those Black crinkle MP valve covers that didn't leak.

Mike

RTV is what you use IN PLACE of a gasket. On valve covers, use a little cement (Gask-a-cinch, Indian Head, KW Copper Coat) to hold the gasket in place on the valve cover. Use nothing or a little grease on the head side. Torque the bolts to specs. Do NOT overtighten and you WON'T have any leaks. On stock type steel covers inspect around the bolt holes to make sure the flange is flat. If not, use a socket and a hammer against a flat surface and gently flatten it out. Also make sure the bolts aren't too long and bottoming out before cinching down the cover.
AGAIN, don't use RTV WITH a gasket.

Rusty: this is what I get for starting a post and then going to eat dinner. Didn't see your response until after I finished mine. Great minds think alike!

Yeah, if I ever put anything on a gasket, it's either to seal specific holes, or just hold it in place like you said, Dave. I like the 3M yellow weatherstrip. We call it rhinocerous snot.

No good. That's for Import Engines. :grin:

That RTV will work just fine. You just need to torque your fasteners in Newton Meters.

Here is the conversion; ft/lb x 1.3556 = Nm

You need to do this when you get lazy and grab the 13mm instead of the 1/2" socket too.

:)

I like to glue the gasket to the valve cover and use anti seize on the head side. That way it can be removed and re-used. I do this with cork type gaskes all the time. I agree, gaskacinch, high tack or weatherstrip adhesive is better than silicone.

I went back in this deal and read how many different gaskets you're havin trouble with. Either you're doin it wrong, or you got somethin goin together wrong, like maybe a valve cover rail interferin with somethin somewhere. I'd be lookin real close at everything.

Yeah, if I ever put anything on a gasket, it's either to seal specific holes, or just hold it in place like you said, Dave. I like the 3M yellow weatherstrip. We call it rhinocerous snot.

Yeh, I use it too. On the left coast it's called "elephant snot". lol

Elephant cum over here

Auto Transport Service
Back