• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiplash cam on the dyno

Oh OK.... I've never seen a 'dish' 440 Piston ? Not say'in they aren't out there, just never had the pleasure I guess ?

I think you did very well Rebuilding/Porting the Cast Iron Heads to see the 415 hp from the whiplash.
What kind of numbers have you seen this cam make? I didn't spend a ton of time on the heads. Definitely opened them up though. You also have to consider these are old pistons with well over 100,000 miles. Just a ball hone and new cast rings. It could've used some new bronze guides too. These were probably on the edge of factory tolerances. Too loose for a real performance engine. I could've spent a grand on the bottom end, resized rods, arp bolts, balanced, with some cheap cast Pistons a point higher in compression, 8.5 and made 1 hp per cubic inch and close to 500 ft lbs. Kinda wish I had. But it's good enough for now.

BTW the xe274 is 230 236 @. 050. The xe 268 is 224 230.

Yep... you're right ... me BAD !

My only point was relativity of Compression and Labor involved.... which you are obviously very capable of ? and imo you knocked it outa the park ! ... GOOD for YOU !
but,
I guess even at 230/236 the XE274H would be pretty comparable to the Hughes ? Although I better start hiding my own Easter Eggs pretty soon.... whoops that already passed huh ?

That said...
We've also made 565 Ft/Lbs and 545 HP on the Dyno from as .030" over 440 using similar 10:1 and well Ported Stealth Heads using an XE284H at .501" lift.
just me...
only my opinion...
but I feel the benefits of adding some incipient cylinder pressure for any Cam profile chosen with these heavy cars.... can see GREAT gains/flat Torque curve and far outweighs the costs ?
Vrs
simple Cam swaps that most will perform with no other changes then expecting the same miraculous results ?

XE 284 is .507/ .510 ??!!

lol

Yep... you're right ... me BAD !

My only point was relativity of Compression and Labor involved.... which you are obviously very capable of ? and imo you knocked it outa the park ! ... GOOD for YOU !
but,
I guess even at 230/236 the XE274H would be pretty comparable to the Hughes ? Although I better start hiding my own Easter Eggs pretty soon.... whoops that already passed huh ?

That said...
We've also made 565 Ft/Lbs and 545 HP on the Dyno from as .030" over 440 using similar 10:1 and well Ported Stealth Heads using an XE284H at .501" lift.
just me...
only my opinion...
but I feel the benefits of adding some incipient cylinder pressure for any Cam profile chosen with these heavy cars.... can see GREAT gains/flat Torque curve and far outweighs the costs ?
Vrs
simple Cam swaps that most will perform with no other changes then expecting the same miraculous results ?
That's some good power! I'd love to build a stroker with some aluminum heads and the big old weiand tunnel ram I have. I had it on my 66 10 yrs ago with some 600 edelbrocks. Man it screamed and was very responsive. Also looked badass!
I do agree, cylinder pressure is your friend.

What kind of numbers have you seen this cam make? I didn't spend a ton of time on the heads. Definitely opened them up though. You also have to consider these are old pistons with well over 100,000 miles. Just a ball hone and new cast rings. It could've used some new bronze guides too. These were probably on the edge of factory tolerances. Too loose for a real performance engine. I could've spent a grand on the bottom end, resized rods, arp bolts, balanced, with some cheap cast Pistons a point higher in compression, 8.5 and made 1 hp per cubic inch and close to 500 ft lbs. Kinda wish I had. But it's good enough for now.

In my opinion only....
The Whiplash SMC2942B Cam is just NOT any 'magic" nowadays with todays Oils and lame Cam hardening processes
and with,
the Whiplash SMC2942B Cam requiring for correct operation, The #1106 V/Spring.....
That is... IMO....
at 330 Lbs over the nose V/Spring pressures at the .518" Lift ?
potentially very difficult/risky for most DIY guys to run/break in adequately in a Backyard/Garage setting these days ?

Given,
that the 1106 V/Spring being a Single W/Damper there is NO "inner" that can be removed for break-in ?

.030" over 383 Engine
stock cast low compression Pistons/Block Milling @ 9.0:1
Stock Rods
Rebuilt/Ported Cast Iron 906 Heads, 2.08/1.74
Adjustable Rocker Arms
Torker 383 Intake and Holley 4779 Carb
CompCams XE274H
430 HP / 444 Ft/Lbs Torque
383-RR-Engine-001.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion only....
The Whiplash SMC2942B Cam is just NOT any 'magic" nowadays with todays Oils and lame Cam hardening processes
and with,
the Whiplash SMC2942B Cam requiring for correct operation, The #1106 V/Spring.....
That is... IMO....
at 330 Lbs over the nose V/Spring pressures at the .518" Lift ?
potentially very difficult/risky for most DIY guys to run/break in adequately in a Backyard/Garage setting these days ?

Given,
that the 1106 V/Spring being a Single W/Damper there is NO "inner" that can be removed for break-in ?

.030" over 383 Engine
stock cast low compression Pistons/Block Milling @ 9.0:1
Stock Rods
Rebuilt/Ported Cast Iron 906 Heads, 2.08/1.74
Adjustable Rocker Arms
Torker 383 Intake and Holley 4779 Carb
CompCams XE274H
430 HP / 444 Ft/Lbs Torque
View attachment 1102841
Not a bad little 383!
That's one reason I almost didn't get the hughes cam. It requires a lot of spring pressure. I'm running stock rockers. Used ones at that, so hopefully I don't punch a hole through them. However, if that happens, I do have a set of old isky adjustables that are like new.

That’s impressive! I know I’m in the minority when I say I wish you could have tested it with the exhaust manifolds too lol. I get it though, head pipes for the dyno and all...

That’s impressive! I know I’m in the minority when I say I wish you could have tested it with the exhaust manifolds too lol. I get it though, head pipes for the dyno and all...
Probably lost 20 hp

Probably lost 20 hp
One thing I find really great is the fact your engine is putting out 440 magnum numbers at 4,300 rpm.
Even with the low compression the cam and port work on iron heads really shows up.
Add in the fact you can buy fuel anyplace for it.
Thanks for sharing that dyno and specs.
:thumbsup:

One thing I find really great is the fact your engine is putting out 440 magnum numbers at 4,300 rpm.
Even with the low compression the cam and port work on iron heads really shows up.
Add in the fact you can buy fuel anyplace for it.
Thanks for sharing that dyno and specs.
:thumbsup:
Yeah, it runs great on 87! It really does pull in the midrange.

Auto Transport Service
Back