• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiplash cam on the dyno

It’ll do something different than the dyno with the manifolds you know. Still a nice set of numbers and should be lots of fun.
Yes I know, I'm not new to this stuff.

I have a similar 440 low compression motor, the Whiplash 440 cam, but used a tunnel ram and twin 660 center squirter carbs. I would be very interested. It pulls very hard at 3000 right to 6500 (I stopped there).
Probably work better with some vacuum secondarys or edelbrock carbs. I had both on a tunnel ram 440. Edelbrock 600s seemed to be the best on the street. Very responsive right off idle, lots of torque. 9.4 to 1, with a hughes 228 232 525 540 lift, headers, porting, automatic.

OK, just thought maybe it wasnt under 3000. But if it work, cool.

Thanks! Just meant it really comes alive at 3000. Seems to all come together. I have a 3000 stall and 3.91 also. It starts excellent and drives perfectly at all rpm.

Yes, it ran really nice. I was going to put it back in but thought I'd try the Hughes cam.
That's what I have in mine, what I dubbed the "Retardmobile" going on almost 17 years now. I agree, this 270 dur .470 lift cam runs good although it's in a heavy car that is no rocket. Its only a 400 though, with a 727 (2500 stall) with 3.90 gears. Since I also have A/C and power brakes I felt this was probably was about as radical as I could go cam-wise and still keep it drivable.

My car.jpg

That's what I have in mine, what I dubbed the "Retardmobile" going on almost 17 years now. I agree, this 270 dur .470 lift cam runs good although it's in a heavy car that is no rocket. Its only a 400 though, with a 727 (2500 stall) with 3.90 gears. Since I also have A/C and power brakes I felt this was probably was about as radical as I could go cam-wise and still keep it drivable.

View attachment 1073910
Yeah, those are real low compression too. I probably would've gone a little smaller even. But the 2500 stall must help a lot. In my car it had good low end, would burn the tire off easily with just a stab of the pedal. It did run out of steam around 5 grand though. Nice car.

Yeah, those are real low compression too. I probably would've gone a little smaller even. But the 2500 stall must help a lot. In my car it had good low end, would burn the tire off easily with just a stab of the pedal. It did run out of steam around 5 grand though. Nice car.
Yes the stall speed helps. It's a great car to do burn outs in, lol. It shifts at 5800 1st to 2nd, and I think 5400 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't seem to pull hard after maybe 5500 or so. Since I just leave it in Drive and go, it will never reach the 6000 RPM limit set at the MSD box. Thank you for the compliment.

Weather got pretty nice here in MN so I took out the Coronet for a test drive. I adjusted my distributor to 25 initial with 38 total. Idles really nice with quite a bit of lope. I actually like a smoother idle, but it's part of the inherent design of the cam to produce cylinder pressure. It really runs strong. For something with 7.5 to 1 compression, when you stomp the pedal you'd never guess its that low. Also running through manifolds. Just hitting the gas I laid down 150ft of rubber with 3.23s. So I'm impressed with this old 440. Just shows its definitely possible to make power with a low compression engine. Some porting and good tuning is key.

Surprising numbers. I don't usually believe in miracle cams but my friend put a similar 440 together and got similar results with the Hughes cam.

Some nice numbers for 7.45:1, but I'm wondering how you arrived at that 7.45:1 using a .020" Steel Shim Head Gasket as you stated ?

May I inquire as to how you calculated that 7.45:1 Compression ratio ?

Just say'in....
the Pistons would have to be .170" down hole
and
the Heads were around 95 CC's after rebuild with new valves ?

Last edited:
Some nice numbers for 7.45:1, but I'm wondering how you arrived at that 7.45:1 using a .020" Steel Shim Head Gasket as you stated ?

May I inquire as to how you calculated that 7.45:1 Compression ratio ?

Just say'in....
the Pistons would have to be .170" down hole
and
the Heads were around 95 CC's after rebuild with new valves ?

Pistons 155 in the hole with a .045 dish. Heads 90cc

The Hughes Whiplash Cam is 229*/242" @ .050, with .518"/.518" Lift
and utilizes the faster .904" Mopar ramps speeds to best advantage, albeit, it requires some at times "iffy" for many people, V/Springs pressures for break in ?

just say'in....
and imo because we've used it and Dyno'd it...... the whiplash Cam is no 'Magic Bullet' for anything ? low Compression is still low Compression....
because....
if you are going inside with the labor and expense of ? and 'rebuilding' a 440 Engine anyways ? Porting/Rebuilding $$ the Cast Iron Heads etc. ?

For perspective only of what I'm getting at....
Here below is a much smaller Comp Cams XE274H 224*/230* @ 050, with .477"/.418" Lift used on a .030" over 440 @ just under 10:1 using checked/cleaned up E-Street Heads and a Holley SD Intake.
It can get by just fine.... and breaks in really easy at 110 Lbs seat and 280'ish open pressures using mushy Chebby .842" lifter ramps.

Notice it never drops below 520 Ft/Lbs and for most of the rpm range stays well above 513 Ft/Lbs all the way to over 5,000 rpm ?
THAT.... moves heavy cars...

Comp Cams XE274H
IMG.jpg

Last edited:
Pistons 155 in the hole with a .045 dish. Heads 90cc

Oh OK.... I've never seen a 'dish' 440 Piston ? Not say'in they aren't out there, just never had the pleasure I guess ?

I think you did very well Rebuilding/Porting the Cast Iron Heads to see the 415 hp from the whiplash.

Last edited:
Very tru

just say'in....
and imo because we've used it and Dyno'd it...... the whiplash Cam is no 'Magic Bullet' for anything ? low Compression is still low Compression....
because....
if you are going inside with the labor and expense of ? and 'rebuilding' a 440 Engine anyways ? Porting/Rebuilding $$ the Cast Iron Heads etc. ?

Here is a much smaller Comp Cam XE274H 224*/230* @ .050 with .477"/.418" Lift used on a .030" over 440 @ just under 10:1 using checked/cleaned up E-Street Heads and a Holley SD Intake.

Notice it never drops below and stays well above 500 Ft/Lbs all the way to over 5,000 rpm ?

View attachment 1102792
very true, but this was kind of a cheap experiment. I do have a 9.4 to 1 440 in my 66 coronet. That was all new stuff with a hughes 228 232 cam. It makes quite a bit more power than this low compression 440. It also cost a lot more.

and utilizes the faster .904" Mopar ramps speeds to best advantage, albeit, it requires some at times "iffy" for many V/Springs pressures for break in ?

just say'in....
because....

Here is a much smaller Comp Cam XE274H 224*/230* @ .050 with .477"/.418" Lift used on a .030" over 440 @ just under 10:1 using checked/cleaned up E-Street Heads and a Holley SD Intake.
It can get by just fine.... and breaks in really easy at 110 Lbs seat and 280'ish open pressures using mushy Chebby .842" lifter ramps.

Notice it never drops below and stays well above 500 Ft/Lbs all the way to over 5,000 rpm ?

View attachment 1102792
BTW the xe274 is 230 236 @. 050. The xe 268 is 224 230.

Auto Transport Service
Back