• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Exhaust Smoke

JJordan1173

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Ive got a 64' Fury with a slant 6 225 engine, three speed trans.

I got the car about 6 months ago and have been noticing some white smoke out of the exhaust. I drive it to and from work two or three times a week. I do have to add oil every so often, about a quart every 4 months, maybe less.

I am hoping it is a crankcase gasket leaking oil into the combustion chamber and not a headgasket. When I check my oil there is no "milkshake"/coolant mixed with oil so it makes me think it is not the headgasket. Also I have added zero coolant since I bought the car and it does'nt run hot.

An issue I did notice however was that the smoke does seem to become a bit more white the longer the car is running. I am not 100% sure about this.

I was thinking of starting to track down a new crankcase gasket, but I thought y'all would have some great input. Thanks as always!

White is coolant. Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel.

Damn. So it probably is a headgasket then?
Possible. Somehow coolant is getting into a cylinder. Pull all the spark plugs and examine carefully. The clean one will be the bad cylinder. It could be a cracked head as well.

White smoke can also be brake fluid. Only if you have power brakes.

Hello All,

Ive got a 64' Fury with a slant 6 225 engine, three speed trans.

I got the car about 6 months ago and have been noticing some white smoke out of the exhaust. I drive it to and from work two or three times a week. I do have to add oil every so often, about a quart every 4 months, maybe less.

I am hoping it is a crankcase gasket leaking oil into the combustion chamber and not a headgasket. When I check my oil there is no "milkshake"/coolant mixed with oil so it makes me think it is not the headgasket. Also I have added zero coolant since I bought the car and it does'nt run hot.

An issue I did notice however was that the smoke does seem to become a bit more white the longer the car is running. I am not 100% sure about this.

I was thinking of starting to track down a new crankcase gasket, but I thought y'all would have some great input. Thanks as always!
How much coolant are you adding??? I hope you have an advance directive.

Last edited:
How far are you driving it? You sure it just isn't warmed up completely? Most cars put out steam from the exhaust for a mile or so after a cold start. You have added ZERO coolant in 6 months?
And what do you mean by a crankcase gasket leaking oil into the combustion chamber? Never heard of such a gasket. You might have oil getting in past old valve stem seals that are cracked, but that should give blue smoke. And that smoke usually stops after it runs for a bit unless those seals are in really bad shape.

How far are you driving it? You sure it just isn't warmed up completely? Most cars put out steam from the exhaust for a mile or so after a cold start. You have added ZERO coolant in 6 months?
And what do you mean by a crankcase gasket leaking oil into the combustion chamber? Never heard of such a gasket. You might have oil getting in past old valve stem seals that are cracked, but that should give blue smoke. And that smoke usually stops after it runs for a bit unless those seals are in really bad shape.
Yes. I had a buddy driving behind me and he noticed it as well. This was after a 10-15 miles.
The anti-freeze was topped up when I bought the car 6 months ago. It has gone down a bit, but no I have added ZERO since I bought the car. I am going to investigate more. I am going to try the test that Mike Brini mentioned and try to listen for gurgling sounds immediatly after driving. What will the gurgle noises tell me??

Sorry I meant the gasket for this. Bit of a noob.

34468087-1964-plymouth-fury-std.jpg

Post 13 1st, MO. No milky oil, no coolant loss...you drive any appreciable distances with it? Give it a good-long run then check the exhaust, hold your palm and inch or so from the tail pipe for a few seconds, then as posted, smell it looking for the sweet odor coolant emits. What's overall condition of the motor? Tuning/air/fuel mix off can emit some whitish smoke too.

Auto Transport Service
Back