• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"White Hat Special" package confusion.

Mopar_Maniac

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, a buddy is looking into a 1968 Coronet. Apparently a "White Hat Special". I'm familiar with this package the dealers would offer with a white vinyl top, interior, etc. The question is, is this package coded in the VIN# or fender tag or was this just something the dealers would put together to sell more cars?

Basically, is there any way to tell if it is a White Hat Special?

Thanks in advance,

The sales guides on hamtramckhistorical should have descriptions for what is included in the package.

Note that the top did not have to be vinyl, or even white.

Although I have never seen a "white hat special" without either a vinyl or 2 tone painted top.

I had a 67 Coronet 440 white hat that I believe the only option besides the painted white top, was an automatic transmission, and possibly full wheel covers.
Everything else was base 440 with manual steering.

If memory serves me, the white hat special (on a 68 Charger) included: vinyl roof, remote side mirror, woodgrain steering wheel, center console, hood mounted turn indicators, interior light group, and full "deep dish" wheel covers.

Both of my recently-sold '68 Dodge D100 pickups were White Hat Specials, but there isn't a way to verify that package on pickups, that I'm aware of, unless one is lucky enough to have the original window sticker. IIRC, the White Hat Special was offered across all car lines (ABCE) and D100 trucks, but not offered on Imperial.

The sales guides on hamtramckhistorical should have descriptions for what is included in the package.

Note that the top did not have to be vinyl, or even white.

Although I have never seen a "white hat special" without either a vinyl or 2 tone painted top.

I had a 67 Coronet 440 white hat that I believe the only option besides the painted white top, was an automatic transmission, and possibly full wheel covers.
Everything else was base 440 with manual steering.

White Hat on a 67 also came with full horn ring vice just the bottom and fender mounted signals, white walls, full wheel covers, bumper guards and believe it or not, you could get the roof in same color as car (although most prob came white)

Auto Transport Service
Back