• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drives with their arm out the window?

Do you drive with your arm out the window, and why?

• No, absolutely not!

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, sometimes when it's hot outside.

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Yes, all the time - it makes me look cool.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Yes, because I'm too big to fit in my car.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes, because of some other reason.

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you drive a 60's Mopar it's a requirement. Arm out the window hanging on the vent window!
I do. Power steering cars and trucks don't require hand over hand steering.
I alternate hands on the wheel because sometimes my steering hand gets numb. Cars with some vibrations tend to do that to me.
If the car or truck had no A/C, it is nice to have the window down and get some air flowing into my shirt to ventilate my arm pit. My right pit probably still smells after a warm drive.

Last edited:
hard to do in today's cars due to the high waistlines but elbow on the door and vent window grab handle is perfect on the 66 !

Never really gave it much thought before. I used to but I no longer do so. These days one must be proactive in their defensive driving skills so both hands are on the wheel. I learned the proper positioning when I took a race driving course and have been doing so ever since...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

If you drive a 60's Mopar it's a requirement. Arm out the window hanging on the vent window!
On another note: short story time.
I found my 69 RR over 30 years ago. It had been sitting for a few years and changed owners rapid fire before I adopted it. I got it running well, and of course the first thing you do is open the windows to feel the breeze.
The next thing was I looked down and saw the 2 vent knobs. I had completely forgotten about that marvelous sack cooler. I pulled the passenger side, all kinds of collected debris came flying out. Normal I guess for a car sitting for years. So I then pulled the drivers side.....hmmm, weird buzzing noise.
I had found where those pesky white *** hornets were residing. There was about 10 seconds of absolute mayhem getting it stopped and vacated.
oh gad...I could see that happening tome!

In my RR (no A/C) I do regularly, have my arm on the door
my Dakota not so much, when it's hot the A/C is always on...

Not that it looks cool, just a normal comfort deal, 2nd nature I suppose...

In my RR (no A/C) I do regularly, have my arm on the door
my Dakota not so much, when it's hot the A/C is always on...

Not that it looks cool, just a normal comfort deal, 2nd nature I suppose...
Yep. Moderate california weather, elbow on the doorsill was almost automatic, for a couple decades. Still have a roll up window on the drivers side of the racecars, so I can hang an elbow out on the return road. Used to have one down to let the cig smoke out. Haven't had to do that for 21 years now (quit cold turkey on my 50th.)

elbow on the door and vent window grab handle is perfect on the 66 !
Same here! Grab handle on my 66 too. Hard to believe it never got yanked out from hanging on to it so tight before the world of seat belts! Didn't take long though to realize wearing a seat belt was a good idea.

In the old car all the time on warm days. Not the whole arm, just the elbow. The only AC I have in the white car. I do it on the nice cool days in the truck. And only when driving around town at slow speeds. Wife hates too much wind. The hair thing right??
Don't buy a rag top then....bought a decent 440 RT Challenger with all the options and the 1st x wife never wanted the top down....think I know why now. She's half bald today and just turned 65.
Left hand on the wheel, right hand on the Hurst shifter knob!!!! There is a man that shoots trap at the local club that has external braces on his left arm. Story is that he was driving with his left arm hanging out the window and was side swiped by an on-coming car, they were able to save the arm but he lost most of the muscle,,,,,
A guy down the street where I lived as a young teen lost his little finger because of that. Don't know how the other fingers weren't affected though.

61800426_2179779335392869_7687721190432964608_o.jpg

As much as possible. But, depends on the vehicle.
Ramcharger: every time. Arm on the top of door, hand rests on the mirror housing. Sometimes I stand my arm up and hold onto the top of the door/window frame with my thumb and finger, or rest my fingers on the door/roof.
Charger(2013) not really, sometimes, mostly the fingers on the roof thing. Seats sit too low(I put them all the way down so my head isn't in the roof/rubbing the headliner) to do the "normal" way. This car is not designed for this, and I only have the window down in town under 40mph.
Dakota: sometimes. Something about this cab design(98 club cab) seems to make for odd turbulence at 65mph, kinda noisy inside with both windows down.
Big chebby truck: nope. windows are tinted, ac works great, I feel no desire to run around with windows down on this truck for whatever reason.
94 mustang I had(sold to boy) ALWAYS. Mostly because there was no where to put my arm that didn;t make me sit in it crooked otherwise, I am a bit too wide for those cars.
'84 Capri: if I was just going somewhere. If I was going somewhere.... in more of a hurry, no way, needed both hands.
Farm trucks: DUH. The '63 I am pretty sure was factory designed for that. The '79 was just nice to ride that way.

I like the wind. I don't live in an urban area. I like to hear the V8 rumble from outside more than the resonance through the floor.

Windows down, sunroof open full (kinda bald, so don't care about hair) arm on door: pit get hot, put hand on mirror to cool the pit. A/C USUALLY OFF. Need more air, press right foot down. Did this in July in midwest, IT WORKS

Actually I have had my arm out the window...once...Day 1 of a 90-day thrash to get the A100 ready for the biggest Car Show of the year down these parts.

1696809005935.png

Never to be repeated. :p

Elbow out the window almost always when I’m driving my old B-body. Comfortable for me but as you can see here I tried to make it uncomfortable for my passenger to do the same.

IMG_7360.jpeg

:lol:

Hard to do with a '69 B-body because of where stupid door lock knob is. That is how I drive my '67 R/T most summer days. With my hand gripping the vent window post.

As many have said, elbow on the door edge mostly at in town speeds with the old cars and my Ram. Not usually with the newer stuff.

In 2004, we were in Maine. After unhitching our camper, I left the mirrors flipped up on the Ram and was driving around town with my elbow sticking out. Went around a curve on a narrow two lane road and met a Ford motorhome with the big mirrors. Both of our mirrors crossed the dmz of the center line and hit each other. The head of my mirror snapped off and hit my elbow and forearm. The glass of the mirror exploded and went everywhere inside the truck. I pulled over and got out to check the damage. Then I felt something warm and noticed blood running down my arm all over my shorts. Got back inside and stopped when I saw a squad car to ask the officer where the closest hospital was. I must have looked a sight, because it got his attention. I told him what happened, he gave me directions, and I went in and had a few stitches put in my arm. Then it was off to the car wash to vacuum out all of the little bits of glass. I was still finding bits a year later (in my arm, too). I always felt glad it happened that way, because if my window would have been up, I might have had a broken window.

Did I learn my lesson? Yes, I flip the mirrors back down every time now. :p
Oh, but I still rest my elbow out on the door other than at high speeds.

Auto Transport Service
Back