• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drives with their arm out the window?

Do you drive with your arm out the window, and why?

• No, absolutely not!

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, sometimes when it's hot outside.

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Yes, all the time - it makes me look cool.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Yes, because I'm too big to fit in my car.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes, because of some other reason.

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people driving with their arm out the window over the years. It is something that I personally have never done......something my grandfather said when I was young.
The reasoning would have been along the lines of you never stick your head out the window of a moving train. :p

To me it screams out that you only have one hand on the wheel - and that is apparently against the rules of the road here.

Plenty of people ignore rules, and drive while eating, smoking, playing with their phones....or other things.

Let us know which one you are.....a two hands on the wheel driver, or not.

In the old car all the time on warm days. Not the whole arm, just the elbow. The only AC I have in the white car. I do it on the nice cool days in the truck. And only when driving around town at slow speeds. Wife hates too much wind. The hair thing right??

Last edited:
What’s worse is seeing a passenger (usually a younger person) with their feet up on the dashboard. They have no idea the damage that would be done to their bodies should they get into an accident.

If you drive a 60's Mopar it's a requirement. Arm out the window hanging on the vent window!
On another note: short story time.
I found my 69 RR over 30 years ago. It had been sitting for a few years and changed owners rapid fire before I adopted it. I got it running well, and of course the first thing you do is open the windows to feel the breeze.
The next thing was I looked down and saw the 2 vent knobs. I had completely forgotten about that marvelous sack cooler. I pulled the passenger side, all kinds of collected debris came flying out. Normal I guess for a car sitting for years. So I then pulled the drivers side.....hmmm, weird buzzing noise.
I had found where those pesky white *** hornets were residing. There was about 10 seconds of absolute mayhem getting it stopped and vacated.

I like to drive with the windows down on a nice warm day or night.
Many times I have my arm on the door edge.

Back in the good 'ol days of STREAKING, we would drive around with the moon out the window.
1696770633211.png

Left hand on the wheel, right hand on the Hurst shifter knob!!!! There is a man that shoots trap at the local club that has external braces on his left arm. Story is that he was driving with his left arm hanging out the window and was side swiped by an on-coming car, they were able to save the arm but he lost most of the muscle,,,,,

What’s worse is seeing a passenger (usually a younger person) with their feet up on the dashboard. They have no idea the damage that would be done to their bodies should they get into an accident.

I work with a guy that was in a RV crash as a kid. His feet were on the dash, it dislocated both hips and jammed his hip bones up to his arm pits. He said it really hurt…

All the time if it's hot out but usually just resting on top of the door. Worst thing that happens is getting bug guts splattered on your arm when they hit the mirror. That part is unpleasant. I don't live in a city though so getting sideswiped and having my arm chopped off isn't a concern.

This is a true story. My uncle ran a truck scale business and received a call from a lady one day complaining about one of his workers. The guy was driving a company pickup down the freeway with a cigarette in one hand and a coffee in the other. No hands on the wheel at all. He told her that's interesting and he'd like to know too. When the guy got back to the office, he told him about the complaint and asked how he could drive without his hands on the wheel. The guy said "it's easy, i just steer with my knees!".

If the weather is nice.... yeah, elbow on the window sill, at least in the box truck and pickup. The off-brand performance car has the damn window sill so far away from the steering wheel it is uncomfortable.
However, typical weather here, have to use a/c. Too hot to drive the old cars without it.
Arm out the window, and hanging? Very VERY rarely. (Except occasionally on the return road, after a pass).

Arm on door sill. saw a accident where a car was teetering to roll over. Guy had his on top of window frame. Fortunately car went back on it's wheels.
DSC_0889.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back