• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else can't sleep?

I'm usually in bed for about 6 to 6 1/2 hours a night. Amount of sleep varies widely depending on brain activity, back pain or dog that wants out. I often just get up because I'm not sleeping anyway. Never seem to wake up feeling refreshed and it sucks feeling tired all the time.

Was thinking the other day about the cars we've had - not as impressive of a list as many of you.
1971 Chevy Malibu 2d hdtp, 307/auto - hand me down from grandma. First engine I ever rebuilt. Hit head on by a drunk driver and totaled.
1970 1/2 Ford Falcon (Torino) 4d, 302/auto - hand me down from grandpa. Replaced the Malibu. First transmission I ever rebuilt.
1977 Pontiac Phoenix 2d hdtp, 350/auto. Girlfriend/wife's car.
1987 Dodge Charger hatchback. Dealer demo. Wife bought "new", replaced the Phoenix.
1967 Plymouth Satellite 2dr hdtp, H-code 383/auto. First car I ever purchased myself. Still have it.
1967 Belvedere II 2dr hdtp, 318/auto. Daily beater while I restored the Satellite.
1968 Ford Fairlane 2dr hdtp, but 200/auto. Hand me down from my other grandma. Replaced the Belvedere as my daily.
1994 Dodge Dakota Sport CC, 5.2L/5-spd. First new vehicle I ever bought, only one I've ever ordered. Replaced the Fairlane.
1967 Satellite conv, G-code 383/auto. Planned to fix it up, but ended up stripping and junking it due to heavy rust.
1967 Belvedere II conv, 318/auto. ~52k miles when we bought it. Kept this one instead of the Satellite conv.
1999 Chrysler 300M. Bought new the summer of 1998. Nice car and a real head-turner initially. Least reliable car we've ever had. Lots of new model issues.
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T CC, 5.9L/auto. Bought new. Replaced the 94 Dakota.
2004 Dodge Durango Limited. Bought new. Replaced the 300M.
2014 Dodge Durango Limited. Bought used. Replaced the 04 Durango.
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn QC. Bought new. Replaced the 01 Dakota as my daily, but kept the Dak.
2022 Durango Limited. Bought new. Replaced the 14 Durango.

Last edited:
I'm usually in bed for about 6 to 6 1/2 hours a night. Amount of sleep varies widely depending on brain activity, back pain or dog that wants out. I often just get up because I'm not sleeping anyway. Never seem to wake up feeling refreshed and it sucks feeling tired all the time.

Was thinking the other day about the cars we've had - not as impressive of a list as many of you.
1971 Chevy Malibu 2d hdtp, 307/auto - hand me down from grandma. First engine I ever rebuilt. Hit head on by a drunk driver and totaled.
1970 1/2 Ford Falcon (Torino) 4d, 302/auto - hand me down from grandpa. Replaced the Malibu. First transmission I ever rebuilt.
1977 Pontiac Phoenix 2d hdtp, 350/auto. Girlfriend/wife's car.
1987 Dodge Charger hatchback. Dealer demo. Wife bought "new", replaced the Phoenix.
1967 Plymouth Satellite 2dr hdtp, H-code 383/auto. First car I ever purchased myself. Still have it.
1967 Belvedere II 2dr hdtp, 318/auto. Daily beater while I restored the Satellite.
1968 Ford Fairlane 2dr hdtp, but 200/auto. Hand me down from my other grandma. Replaced the Belvedere as my daily.
1994 Dodge Dakota Sport CC, 5.2L/5-spd. First new vehicle I ever bought, only one I've ever ordered. Replaced the Fairlane.
1967 Satellite conv, G-code 383/auto. Planned to fix it up, but ended up stripping and junking it due to heavy rust.
1967 Belvedere II conv, 318/auto. ~52k miles when we bought it. Kept this one instead of the Satellite conv.
1999 Chrysler 300M. Bought new the summer of 1998. Nice car and a real head-turner initially. Least reliable car we've ever had. Lots of new model issues.
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T CC, 5.8L/auto. Bought new. Replaced the 94 Dakota.
2004 Dodge Durango Limited. Bought new. Replaced the 300M.
2014 Dodge Durango Limited. Bought used. Replaced the 04 Durango.
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn QC. Bought new. Replaced the 01 Dakota as my daily, but kept the Dak.
2022 Durango Limited. Bought new. Replaced the 14 Durango.
Looks like a fair list to me - and welcome to gettin' old. :)

Excluding the wife’s cars

64 383 Plymouth Sport Fury
70 400 GTO
75 400 Trans Am
72 Datsun PU
78 Honda Accord
66 427 Corvette
80 Turbo Saab
85 Corvette
74 Toyota PU
87 Ford Ranger PU
66 427 Corvette - still own
93 Ford Explorer
97 Buick LeSaber - passed down by wife
03 Ford Lightning PU
67 Plymouth GTX - still own
08 Ford Mustang GT
12 Ford Mustang GT
ERA 459 FE Cobra Street Roadster Build - still own
17 Ford Shelby GT350
12 Toyota Highlander - passed down by wife- still own
66 Plymouth Satellite - still own

Strayed from Mopar with a Pontiac and
a Volvo. Curious.
I actually started with interests of Pontiac. And with my Sr. High school car '66 GTO. My first GTX that followed ended that. And really never looked back on Mopar as #1 option. GTX was a step up to GTO at least in build quality in my opinion.

I actually started with interests of Pontiac. And with my Sr. High school car '66 GTO. My first GTX that followed ended that. And really never looked back on Mopar as #1 option. GTX was a step up to GTO at least in build quality in my opinion.
My former brother in law had a new '66 GTO back in the day. After he started working in the shop at the Plymouth dealer, he never went back. Drove a new '69 Hemi Road Runner as a company car. It survives today with the original engine after having the daylights beat out of it when new.

As my chronological list indicates, I was B/O/P (although I never owned a pontiac) prior to my first Mopar.

I strayed thrice but always came back, and usually also had a Mopar at the same time.

Only got about an hour last night. Typical for a Mon night to Tuesday morning due to Tue-Sat work schedule. Laying there pondering. I asked myself. "Have I had more woman or cars in my life?" So the count began. Wasn't even close. Woman count was less than I thought. And cars ALOT more. Cars that got away? (Performance cars. Wont bother listing daily's and trucks)

1966 GTO
1968 Satellite
1968 Camero
1969 GTX
1969 Chevelle SS
1969 RoadRunner
1970 Demon
1987 Grand National

Current.
1969 GTX (Only car to replace a loss.)
1970 Cuda
1974 Duster
2003 Mustang Cobra (Terminator)
2007 Ram 3500 dually diesel
2014 Cadillac XTS VSport (twin turbo)

Deep into the night my search came up empty for one US manufacturer. Oldsmobile. I don't believe I have ever owned an Oldsmobile. Weird. Nothing against. But drew a blank.
Only got about an hour last night. Typical for a Mon night to Tuesday morning due to Tue-Sat work schedule. Laying there pondering. I asked myself. "Have I had more woman or cars in my life?" So the count began. Wasn't even close. Woman count was less than I thought. And cars ALOT more. Cars that got away? (Performance cars. Wont bother listing daily's and trucks)

1966 GTO
1968 Satellite
1968 Camero
1969 GTX
1969 Chevelle SS
1969 RoadRunner
1970 Demon
1987 Grand National

Current.
1969 GTX (Only car to replace a loss.)
1970 Cuda
1974 Duster
2003 Mustang Cobra (Terminator)
2007 Ram 3500 dually diesel
2014 Cadillac XTS VSport (twin turbo)

Deep into the night my search came up empty for one US manufacturer. Oldsmobile. I don't believe I have ever owned an Oldsmobile. Weird. Nothing against. But drew a blank.
Late to the post. I can't sleep worth a damn, mind won't shut off. My favorite mopars are cop car sleepers, big block, black, or gray, and a dark green, dog dish hub caps, they just look bad *** too me. Maybe 58, 59 plymouth, i have a 331 hemi that would fit nice in those cars.

I too can’t seem to sleep much past 4:00 in the morning. Often times it’s earlier.
I know. I see you online here just before I go to bed at 5:00 AM EST !
I have had some trouble sleeping lately. In the past, I'd take an Excedrin PM or a similar pill. I started taking melatonin and it worked too.
The concept of counting things may work for some but not me.
I've counted cars I've cut up or parted out, projects, cars I owned as daily drivers, construction sites I've worked, etc.
The worst topic to count was women I'd been with. I'd start to get excited of some of the good old times and have a harder time getting to sleep. Nudging the woman on a work night isn't always successful.

Something I found that really does work...if you let it...is thinking about something you'd enjoy doing.

Not all the stuff you still need/want to do to your car...

...but driving it after it's done.

Where you'd go...how you'd operate it...who might be with you...

The example "they" always give is "walking on the beach".

I'm kind of a train guy in addition to a car guy and a music guy, and what often worked for me is:

Imagining I'm operating one of my favorite steam engines...checking things out to make sure they're OK to go

...maybe slinging some coal in to the firebox...

cracking the throttle
checking the pressure, the water level
watching the scenery go by
checking the trackside signals
maybe stopping to switch a cut of freight cars
waiting for a switch to be thrown
operating the reverser

Usually by that time, I'd be out.

immersing yourself in non stressful thought I believe is the key.

Something I found that really does work...if you let it...is thinking about something you'd enjoy doing.

Not all the stuff you still need/want to do to your car...

...but driving it after it's done.

Where you'd go...how you'd operate it...who might be with you...

The example "they" always give is "walking on the beach".

I'm kind of a train guy in addition to a car guy and a music guy, and what often worked for me is:

Imagining I'm operating one of my favorite steam engines...checking things out to make sure they're OK to go

...maybe slinging some coal in to the firebox...

cracking the throttle
checking the pressure, the water level
watching the scenery go by
checking the trackside signals
maybe stopping to switch a cut of freight cars
waiting for a switch to be thrown
operating the reverser

Usually by that time, I'd be out.

immersing yourself in non stressful thought I believe is the key.
No, it doesn't work like that for me.

I find that if I lie in bed and think about "real" things or tasks that need doing then my mind never relaxes and sleep is difficult. If I think about "woulda, coulda, shoulda" type stuff then my mind just trails off on tangents and I'm out like a light. Example: last night I was lying there thinking about stock investments I "might" have made back in the 70's and how my finances might have looked today. That couldn't have lasted more than ten minutes tops and I was gone. On the other hand if I start thinking about the car and what its going to take to get it drivable I'm awake for hours.

I know. I see you online here just before I go to bed at 5:00 AM EST !
I have had some trouble sleeping lately. In the past, I'd take an Excedrin PM or a similar pill. I started taking melatonin and it worked too.
The concept of counting things may work for some but not me.
I've counted cars I've cut up or parted out, projects, cars I owned as daily drivers, construction sites I've worked, etc.
The worst topic to count was women I'd been with. I'd start to get excited of some of the good old times and have a harder time getting to sleep. Nudging the woman on a work night isn't always successful.

You go go bed st 3:00 am and I assume that you wake up around the crack of noon. That would drive me nuts wasting the morning.
On a related note, what time does your wife goes to bed?

You do have to "let go".

You have to break from reality and commit to the "fantasy" or it doesn't work.

That is the first step in allowing your mind to detach, and if you commit, the semi-conscious can take over in a little while.

You go go bed st 3:00 am and I assume that you wake up around the crack of noon. That would drive me nuts wasting the morning.
On a related note, what time does your wife goes to bed?
I was exaggerating a bit. I mostly aim between 1:30 and 2:00. My 2:00 AM is 5:00 on the East coast. I'm up by 10:00.
Mary is up until 11:00 most nights but will conk out earlier if she didn't get an afternoon nap.
For years, I was in bed a couple hours before her since I had to be up before 4:00 for the longer drive to the out of town jobs. We have dealt with offset sleeping schedules our whole time together.

You haven't lived until you have a 7:00 to 3:30 job and your wife has a 36 on 36 off nursing job.

I had chronic Lyme disease and it F'd up my sleep, gave me insomnia. I would only sleep an hour or two each night. Sometimes I was still watching TV when my son gets up at 4:45am to go to work... I still have a few nights a week that I sleep for an hour or two then I am up for 2-3hrs then fall back asleep..

I was exaggerating a bit. I mostly aim between 1:30 and 2:00. My 2:00 AM is 5:00 on the East coast. I'm up by 10:00.
Mary is up until 11:00 most nights but will conk out earlier if she didn't get an afternoon nap.
For years, I was in bed a couple hours before her since I had to be up before 4:00 for the longer drive to the out of town jobs. We have dealt with offset sleeping schedules our whole time together.

So, do you wake her up at 1:30 to have sex or just go for it to her while she’s asleep?

Now for about 10+ years
I go to bed now at 11:30pm - 12:00am
sort of lay there, watch some late night oldies usually or something I DVR'd
wake up about 5:00am-ish (sometimes 6:00am) toss & turn, get up go pee
lay there, until my dog bugs me to go outside, shortly after sunrise here
then once I'm up, I'm up

I'm up to 120-ish + (ish) IIRC now
not necessarily in order
I worked for a large dealership group of 125 dealers
all over the western states
I got 1st dibs 'a lot', before they went to wholesalers or actions
some I bought to fix up & turn, to fund my racecars...
probably almost 1/2

& I had 6-8 drivers in the house at one time too
always fixing or buying something

Haven't done much of it for the past 10-ish years
burned out on cars crap

14) PowerWagons/Power Rams work trucks
1 of each 66 - 77s, 84, 95 cummins, 98 cummins
4) couple of Traildusters & Ramchargers, from 74 - mid 90s
I have a soft spot for 4x4s
3) Dakotas, 98 R/T, 99 R/T, my current DD 99 SLT 4x4
1) 99 F250 460cid work truck
1) 02 F350 PS Diesel Dually 4x4 tow rig
*1) 5th wheel Jayco RV trailer my dad drove the piss out of 150k miles
*1) Featherlight Trailer 43' dual car/elevator & lounge
*1) Big Tex 20' tag trailer
*3) Horse trailers (Lisa's rodeo stuff)
*3) boats/trailer 1 IO 21' (?) Donzi Lake Tahoe boat, 1 Ski Nautique v-drive
& 1 77 Glasspar tri-hull 50 hp Merc Outboard, fishing boat
*1) 24' dragster trailer unknown mfgr
*2) other tag trailers, 1 of which was a homebuilt dovetail
*1) 97 Safari Motorhome Class A
*4) Chevy PUs 76 stepside, 3500 Duallys/crew cabs 78, 82, 86 tow rigs
*2) Kodiaks 95 & 97 1 Iternational, both Itermediate diesel tow rigs
12) 68-70 Chargers 8 were 68's one was my 1st car in HS $350, 3 69s, 1 70, all R/Ts
2) 70 Duster & 71 Demon slant 6 3 on tree I traded my stepdad Bob for
1) my mom's 68 Sport Satellite 383 4 speed
1) 68 Barracuda Formula S 383 4 speed (I inherited from my uncle)
1) *84 Omni/Charger Funny Car
13) 68-70 RRs, 8 68s, 4 69s 1 was a racecar, 1 70, most of them were HTs RM23s
4) Buicks 70 GS, 71 GS Stage 1/clone, 65 Skylark GS, 97 LeSabre (Inherited)
3) Olds 64 F-85, 65 442, & a *71 442 W30 racecar when I was in Alaska
9) Camaros *67 racecar 1st car I went in the 8s & 7's in, *89 IROC z T/S racecar
68 z28, 69, 70, *71 rs S/C 8.90 racecar in Alaska too, 76 rs, 78 z28, 79 z28,
4) GTOs 64, 65, 70 Judge, 71 (stepdad Bobs former S/S racecars turned to street cars)
11) TransAms 70, 73 sd, 75 sd 455, 92 firehawk SLP, 94 25th Ann.,
*97 T/S Outlaw P/S racecar, 97 formula gt, 2000 Ws6 Firehawk SLP
& Firebirds 67, 68, 70 formula
1) Caddy 95 ElDorado
1) *23 Ford Altered,
1) *27 T Altered Brogie,
4) dragsters *2 FE S/C 8.90, *2 rear engine S/E 7.90
1) *49 Ford Tudur Buss. Coupe Pro-gas 8.50/SE 7.90 racecar
1) *59 Butler special, fiberglass bodied sort of like a early Jag,
vett chassis, corner carver/turned drag car SBC 4 speed
1) 69 Boss 302 Mustang
1) 67 Fairlane 500 GT 390 4 speed
1) 65 Galaxie 500 xlt 390 4 speed my 1st car when I got my learners permit
didn't own it long bought for $150 & sold for $150, rusty
1) 64 Galaxie 500 390 4 speed
1) 57 Fairlane 500, 352 FE
1) 95 Lexas LS 400
2) Porsche 911 1)66, 1)68,
1) 74 Targa S
1) 78 Targa
1) 84 Targa T
2) VW Super Beetles Convertibles 1) 78 1)79 both EFIs
1) 68 Baja Bug
1) 67-68 (?) Meyers Manx Dune Buggy
5) Toyota SR5 82 2wd, 84 4x4, 85 EFI 4x4 PU
1) 74 Datsun PU
1) 84 S10 4x4 pu
4) Jeeps 71 CJ5, 73 CJ5 (Lisa's Jeep),
3) 47 CJ2 (2 of them) Military Jeeps Go Devil 4 bangers, 'ranch rigs',
I bought at govt. surplus auction in Auburn, for $1500 closed bid
& my current Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
2) V8 Vegas 71 street car 350, *73 Racecar BB Chevy
2) 89 Turbo Supra, 83 Turbo Supra "Lisa's cars"
4) Vetts 71 454 LS6, 65 396 425hp, 68 400hp tri-power,
*61 Roadster racecar 468 LS7 BBC

edited;
I forget the...
2) 69 MGB & 76 MG Mark IV Midget
1) 70 MGGT with a 350cid Cheby
1) 73 Jag E-type roadster, formerly a v12 car, that had a 289 Ford SB in it
1) 69 (IIRC) 1600 Datsun roadster sports car too
It was a phase what can I say...

over 130 (?) in total, including trailers all **** if I had to register it
lost count I thought it was like 115 maybe
60-ish or so were cars I bought fixed, cleaned up drove
or let one of the kids or Lisa drive
for a while and then sold & bought another to make cash...
I hate flippers now, you can see why...

I actually made a list a while back, wow now seeing it again on paper
& now in print, a few I didn't have on it or hadn't had yet...
what a waste of $$$

should have bought more real estate,
a few less 1/2 or more of the cars

Wall of Text Batman -shut up Robin he was talking.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back