• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Grew Up With The TV Show Combat?

there where a lot of Bristish TV and Australian TV programs that also came out

I remember seeing this but can not remember where

I remember seeing this movie before I had joined the Army and went to Vietnam
a_yank_in_viet_nam-646044899-large.jpg
and
to-the-shores-of-hell-movie-poster-1965-1020205035.jpg
it was like a two part movie and this movie with Burt Reynolds

I was a little old for me. We watched Rat Patrol only for the Jeeps flying over the sand dunes. My friend had a Rat Patrol lunch box, I was jealous.

My kids would ask me why the shows were black and white and I would 'kid' them that back then we had no color in the world everything was b&w. They were shocked "no colors"? They caught on I was bs-ing pretty quick. All the shows (although Combat did a pretty good job) is the actors were always so clean, hair all perfect and they'd get smacked a bunch of times in the puss and no blood or fat lips! Jim West's (Wild-Wild West) hair would be all wild after a fight and just like magic his hair was perfecto in the next scene! And old PI, Joe Mannix, would get knocked out on almost every show and no concussions and no stitches ever required! lol

I have the entire box set on DVD. I wish they would release 12 O'Clock High that way. My greatest disappointment in life is that my kids and grandkids will NEVER experience the peacefulness we had as kids.

You can get all the 12 O’clock High shows on YouTube.

Combat .. I had the machine gun that Sgt. Saunders carried .. think somebody had a huge B.A.R.

Today ya don't want to walk around with toy guns...man when we would play army and cops and robbers back when today we'd get shot by a swat team...used to play with BB guns too telling each other aim 'low'. Lucky we didn't lose an eye. About 10 years ago I was doing commercial building appraisals as a side job. I pulled out my expandable roto-rule from the trunk and someone apparently saw me doing this thinking it was a rifle. Within minutes some half-dozen police cars surrounded me then viewed me doing the measuring...

I was 5 in 1962 so don't remember Combat. The first one I can recall watching was F Troop, and Rat Patrol.

One thing I will never comprehend in the movies or in real life conditions is how everyone involved does not run out of ammunition in the first two or three minutes of the battle, taking into consideration the rate of fire I see. Those bullets are heavy and I don't see them packing many cartridges.

mule.jpg

That's always a pet peeve of mine. I would watch the patrols head outside the wire literally loaded down with ammo. Did it myself a few turns. On TV nobody has any but they never run out.

I seem to recall a TV series called "The Citizen Soldier" from somewhere in the '60's time frame. Used to watch that one a lot as well, but don't remember much about it. Maybe some of you old timers remember it?

I seem to recall a TV series called "The Citizen Soldier" from somewhere in the '60's time frame. Used to watch that one a lot as well, but don't remember much about it. Maybe some of you old timers remember it?

This is what you are talking about? Appears to be just a tittle for one episode.

No one ran out of ammo and no one ever hit the latrine or the bushes while out on a patrol.

I think it’s funny how in the westerns none of the guns/ammo smokes when they’re fired. They should have been using black powder cartridges and black powder smokes. Fan a six shooter with no wind and you have to walk around the smoke cloud to see if you hit anything.

Tour of Duty was a great show, especialy with the music. The videos for the US don't have the same music in it. Something about not getting permission to distribute it intact. Music made most of the show, but I won't watch it without "Fade To Black".

Kirby had the BAR

The BAR fires at a rate of 500 rounds per minute. On full-auto mode that empties the rifle's 20 round magazine in only 2.5 seconds. The magazine weighs one pound.

The Thompson sub-machine gun and M-14 and M-16 had "about" the same rates (although the Thompson/M-16 had both 20 & 30 round stick magazines).

The semi-automatic M1 Garand could fire 50-50 rounds per minute using its 8 round clip.

Man, thanks to all for a really nice trip through time. I miss those shows and now I feel old for remembering them.

this is a very good movie it is early Vietnam saw this way back then ,just dug it back up after all these years for my youngest son to watch with me thought that I would share it you guys one of Burt Lancaster later movies also Marc Singer is in it, you might also recognize Jonathan Goldsmith remember him from his popular run on a beer commercial

Last edited:
Wow ! How did I miss this thread ?? Combat WAS MY FAVORITE TV SHOW during the time that it ran. As my dad was in the army in Europe WWII, this show was on in the one and only B&W TV at home, so I became a HUGE fan. And I have the entire series on DVD, which I still watch these days. I always loved this show !!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back