• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has a fast street car?

My 66 Coronet was 100% street legal and streetable. Licensed and Insured. Drove it to car shows, but NOT on extended rod runs.
It was a 505" motor that I drove to car shows on pump gas, but not at the drags.
The very last 2 runs I made in the car were 10.04 and 10.06, both at 131+mph.
Car weighed 3700+ pounds.
The guy I sold it to in Denmark wanted a really fast streetable car and he got just that.
He has had it now for about 6 months and tells me he loves it.

20181119_090910.jpg

depends on how "fast" is determined. To me "fast" is determined by what you are running for what you have. For instance, to me a factory stock slant six with 2.76 gears running a 16.99 is faster than a full blown Hemi with 4.30's running 12.50, for what they are.
  • My favorite analysis is this: If I told you I know somebody that can bench press a 100 lbs, you'd say "big deal". If I told you it was a 3 yr old girl, you'd say "WHOA!!".
I heard of a guy that spent a Million $$$ in one year on a few dedicated "B" body race cars and barley went 8.6s:jackoff::jackoff:
I do like how you look at it for sure:thumbsup:. I get to run with the factory appearing crowd and they amaze me!!

why don't you run a hood on there? at least when cruisin.
@HEMI-ITIS ...
Isn't this your street rolling "bad-assery-on-4-wheels" with a hood??
Screenshot_20200124-192322_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200124-192345_Chrome.jpg

Granted, I can't argue with you boldly, proudly displaying all of that chromed, old school, LEGENDARY supercharged Gen 2 HEMI business you have going on between the windshield and the front grille, but it really looks nice with the hood too! At least one of the major pieces of :bananaweed:EYE CANDY:bananadance:still is prominently displayed with the hood on!
I would also think that the radiator would work better by the hood creating the "wall" of the "vacuum tunnel" to pull air through the radiator??

I have no issues with water temp in any weather! I leave the hood home so I don't have to worry about where to put it while parked. I do not like the blanket on the roof look OR worrying a gust of wind will blow it into the another car. One of these daze I will make the prop stix!

Would hinges not work because of the metal hood edges of the openings being so close to "the works" that it would hit if raised and lowered in the "clamshell" typical hood opening manner? IOW are the cutouts so precisely made as to only allow for VERTICAL lifting and replacing of the hood?

Glass hoods are offered as pin on or hinged.The pin on style is lighter without the needed bracing for the hinge.
The hole is cut for vertical lift off, I would think it would be larger with hinges.

I didn't realize it was 'glass...
BTW, the seller of the 2 Weiand intakes (one modded, one not) is getting the hacked up one tomorrow, so I hope I hear the unmodded is, in fact, available and I get pix soon!

Close enough. :rofl:

A FAST street car should be a legal car (IMHO) and have mufflers, plates, tags etc, also be capable of driving to the shops to get groceries, and drive past cops without attracting unnecessary attention.

Al...your '63 qualifies handsomely.

To me, a car that has to be tailored to an event, run on race gas or better, cannot take passengers, cannot get to the shops to get groceries, and has to be continually torn down and rebuilt IS NOT A STREET car. :D

My brick is not back halved,still on leaf springs and original control arms, K frame and steering box.
Shocks are upgraded as are the leaf springs.9's on pump gas and sit in bumper to bumper traffic.
Hope to reach my goal this year of 8.50,,,,,,not 8.69 or 8.60! I will need to intercool and lower my intake air temp which I have almost all the stuff I need:thumbsup:

What do you think a fast street car is? I think anything running 10's or faster. There are more 8 second streeters now than ever!
I like going to the track because it's the only place I can get traction,wring it out and get a real time slip. I am not a competitor more of a tuna fish or exhibitionst! We will see how this season goes, I'm legal to 8.50 and should see that this season! I get a kick out of these dedicated BIG $$$$$$$ racecars that have a hard time going that fast:rofl::rofl:
So who else is fast,,,,,,,and how fast and can still drive on the highway??:steering::popcorn:

Coming out of Brooklyn

Going into the Bronx

Annual Easter Parade

20 mile drive to a car show in Brooklyn

Dang it Al, you braggin' again? :)

My Satellite may not be much by today's standards, but I rarely see anything on the street that I think would outrun it. I figure it’s a simple nitrous kit away from being a mid-10 second car in its 100% full showroom accessory trim. Radio, heater, wipers, cigarette lighter, glass, & steel.... it’s all there.

2D40A593-EF6D-4931-8A1B-F632972F1077.png

A FAST street car should be a legal car (IMHO) and have mufflers, plates, tags etc, also be capable of driving to the shops to get groceries, and drive past cops without attracting unnecessary attention.

To me, a car that has to be tailored to an event, run on race gas or better, cannot take passengers, cannot get to the shops to get groceries, and has to be continually torn down and rebuilt IS NOT A STREET car. :D

100% agree, and I've been going on about this for years over here. Plenty of examples of this, RV3 for one, always being billed as the fastest "Street Car", so I told him what I thought its real title was on F-book which was a "Street Legal Pro-Mod Race car", and I got to give it to him, he agreed with me in public, and thats what the other similar cars are as well, Larson/Lutz/Bailey etc. They may be able to go get the groceries or to Macs for a meal but they are just wearing their very expensive stuff out, but it doesn't change what they are, go and run a 5 or a 6 sec pass on pump gas 93 and then they might have something to impress with.

Last edited:
100% agree, and I've been going on about this for years over here. Plenty of examples of this, RV3 for one, always being billed as the fastest "Street Car", so I told him what I thought its real title was on F-book which was a "Street Legal Pro-Mod Race car", and I got to give it to him, he agreed with me in public, and thats what the other similar cars are as well, Larson/Lutz/Bailey etc. They may be able to go get the groceries or to Macs for a meal but they are just wearing their very expensive stuff out, but it doesn't change what they are, go and run a 5 or a 6 sec pass on pump gas 93 and then they might have something to impress with.
We have an annual Drags day on Fathers Day - 1st Sunday of September...been going since 1987. I know, as I was there the first few years. I even won the burnout trophy at the Inaugural meeting. The rules are quite clear - cars must ALL have a "Warrant of Fitness" (same as the MOT in the UK), be registered for use on the road (UK Tax disc equivalent) and no slicks. Other rules include Post '48 - to prevent HotRods, and no Hybrids, Jappa's or anything less than a V8. Basically it's an Australian and USA V8's only day...unless a Viper turns up which is fine.

There is one guy who built a car specifically to win the Fastest Car award year after year. A '56 Chev, twin turbo, and runs on pump gas. The thing does 170+mph at 7.7sec......you cannot tell me that this is a legal Street car. No passenger seats in the rear. He has a front passenger seat to defeat that rule. Runs dual fuels - pump gas and C16 (or whatever) and has mufflers. To me that is a bullshit car, but they let him run, because it draws a crowd. I gave up trying to prevent him running - there was another guy who tried the same thing in a smaller car, but that was booted because of the arguements over the street legal thing.

Most cars that run break the rules anyway....any car with anything but pump gas in the tank is breaking the law on NZ roads.

I'm more than happy with my A100 running a 13.0 sec 1/4 with only the equivalent of 93octane and no over the top mods. Just a quality built engine from BluePrint Engines, and a rebuilt transmission.

:xscuseless:

upload_2020-1-25_18-49-17.png

:)

Auto Transport Service
Back