• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

So KernDog, catch us up - what's the top 3 on your short list after a few years of research? Please list your personal pros and cons for each.

Well, I liked what I saw in East Tennessee, specifically the Maryville area.
The reasons that we were drawn to TN was the lower taxes, the "like minded" climate and the green landscape. The lack of the state income tax is also the case in Texas.
I'm still gun-shy because of the weather. Seeing the ice storms of last year, the same seems to be coming through this year. I was out in my shop wearing shorts today here. I know that there will be no place like here in terms of weather but I won't willingly move to where it gets that cold.

The reasons that we were drawn to TN was the lower taxes, the "like minded" climate and the green landscape. The lack of the state income tax is also the case in Texas.
I'm still gun-shy because of the weather. Seeing the ice storms of last year, the same seems to be coming through this year. I was out in my shop wearing shorts today here. I know that there will be no place like here in terms of weather but I won't willingly move to where it gets that cold.

While I agree no income taxes is good you need to pay attention to where they state does get it's money... I've spoken with a few Texans who mentioned the property taxes are quite high... One guy with something similar to your setup mentioned his taxes being over 10K annually..

Gotta get all the numbers before committing to something..

The property taxes in TN looked to be a lot lower than we're paying here. I was shocked to see how high they are in Texas though.

The property taxes in TN looked to be a lot lower than we're paying here. I was shocked to see how high they are in Texas though.
Hey, KD
Property taxes of course vary by the area
in which one resides. I lived in Texas about
30 miles west of Katy. The taxes were quite
a bit lower. Where it starts costing money
is when there are what they call MUD taxes
and HOA's, usually associated with larger
cities. But even the smaller towns can't escape
100 deg Temps with 90 percent humidity in
Southern Texas. Absolutely miserable in the
summer months. Katy averages 52" of rain
per year. Also, traffic is as bad as anything
you've seen in California.
The Texas hill country is probably going to
fit your parameters closer to your liking, but
the occasional cold weather is still there.
After doing a little research, Kingman AZ
has average winter lows of 52deg/ average
summer highs of 102 deg. And it's a dry heat....

Last edited:
Thanks....Arizona looks like the background in every Road Runner-Wile E Coyote cartoon. No thanks!

I had TX on my bucket list too. Then I got a bit more serious and connected with a friend who lives in Georgetown after relocating from OC. He hooked me up with a realtor he’s close with. Started looking at new homes. I don’t have dentures but if I did they’d been spit clear across a football field once I discovered what property taxes are there. Looked at a new construction $750k no big deal home in Georgetown with a small lot that sloped so bad in the back that you’d have to pump some $$ in to use it for anything - they called that a green belt premium lot - Anyway property taxes were $18k. And it can go up from there as I was told some places were as much as 3% - this one was 2.5%. And to top it off the Homestead Exemption in that area was something pathetic like $15k and the realtor told me for some reason it would only be <$10k. My sister has lived in Dallas area for 40 years and has a tiny little 1500 Sq ft home in Carrollton with practically no lot - worth about $250k - she pays $5k in taxes which is on the low side compared to the hill country area I was looking. Needless to say - love the TX mindset - don’t love the TX tax structure. It’s off the list now completely. For me the search goes on.

Thanks....Arizona looks like the background in every Road Runner-Wile E Coyote cartoon. No thanks!
Just looking at it from weather averages.
I'm a desert rat, and like it. I grew up in
the bay area and agree that rolling hills
and oak/eucalyptus/redwoods trees make for some great vistas.
Therein lies the problem. There's no place
in the US that can match California's
views and climate.
P.S
You'll find that as big a state as Texas is, they
are very stingy on lot sizes when you get into
the burbs.

Maryville is actually one of the higher tax areas of ETN - smack dab between Knoxville and all the tourist stuff/
Smoky Mountains. Nice but a tad overcrowded for my taste - but between it and the attached-at-the-hip
sister town of Alcoa, you'll find most anything you'd ever want.
Adjoining counties reflect a pretty healthy drop in taxes, too.

As far as these "ice storms" you're concerned with, well....we haven't had any here in years in this neck
of the woods. They're not normal for this region, simply put.
We've seen a couple half-assed attempts at snow, but it was gone about as quickly as it came.
That IS quite normal for here - a good, substantial snowstorm is a once every 5 years thing.
Highs in the upper 40s/50 - Lows around freezing this time of year and right now is the bottom of all that.
We'll start climbing out of that within a couple/three weeks.

Austin and Hill Country is expensive!!
Texas wages are high and so is everything else.
Tn. can be good. Build a garage and add some heat for winter.
Yes it can get humid, take some of that Ca. ash and put central heat and air in the garage!
Even Ca. guys can take a little ice.

An intro for you @Kern Dog. You'll get used to it for the most part.

^^You Yanks just think you have snakes!!
You guys got real snakes. We mostly have garter snakes, water snakes non-venomous but do have copperheads are most common in rocky areas. Timber rattlers are in the northwest corner of state.

You guys got real snakes. We mostly have garter snakes, water snakes non-venomous but do have copperheads are most common in rocky areas. Timber rattlers are in the northwest corner of state.
We have a BUNCH of barn cats. Only snakes we ever see are DEAD. Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Coral and various breeds of Rattlers. Cats hate snakes! And moles. And mice. Squirrels, Birds. Bugs.

Good ol' 'Jim Tom' ol' drunk dude' from Moonshiners show, started it out
at least he had his teeth in so you could 'almost' understand him

We have some mountain folk/good ol' boys/gals upcountry here too
all 8 years (if that) of education :p
most still speak English/broken English, always in camo
or a Tenn. tuxedo, the bib overalls :D
usually;
with a chaw in their lip/cheek, spiting every other word
but;
you don't need a translator, to understand most of it :poke:

some good people away from all the inner-shittys

some protecting grows :fool: , you better be careful,
you better know where you are, who you're dealing with
just like in the backwoods elsewhere, with Moonshine or whatever
The proverbiale grass (not the kind you smoke) isn't always that much greener,
if any :( all things considered...

An intro for you @Kern Dog. You'll get used to it for the most part.

again

Smiley Deliverance Paddle Faster I hear Banjos.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back