• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

Missouri # 12, call me when you get here. I now see no sense in going to Kentucky, Georgia or Tennessee!! :poke::thumbsup:

My wife grew up not too far from the Dismal Swamp in Virginia. So, a rural setting in coastal Georgia keeps "Swamp Woman" happy.
:lol:

For your consideration @Kern Dog

https://www.retirementliving.com/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement

The full list of states, from best to worst, is further down in the article.
That is bogus
anywhere it has snow 4-5 (maybe 6) months of cold 32* or lower
isn't a good state to retire in
no matter the states taxes or your income level
(or states that have tornadoes or hurricanes where you plan to live)

I didn't see Tenn. on either of them
or Utah where I was going to move at one time...

The worst list was more interesting
we made #8 :eek: & RI was #1, sort of shocked to see Vermont at #5
all were the party currently in charge/power, ran states

Last edited:
I guess we have different thoughts on where America is heading

He has enough problems being a prisoner to CA. being the borked up place that it is, instead of worrying about where America's heading! And what's it to you anyway?

That is bogus
anywhere it has snow 4-5 (maybe 6) months of cold 32* or lower
isn't a good state to retire in
no matter the states taxes or your income level

The worst list was more interesting
we made #8 :eek: & RI was #1, sort of shocked to see Vermont at #5
all were the party in charge currently, ran states
Yeah, the snowy and cold states in the top 10 good list made me scratch my head. Definitely not on my Swamp Woman's good list. I'm good wherever as long as I am surrounded by large swaths of unoccupied land; except Alaska isn't on my list.

Saw today Craziforia wants universal healthcare. To pay for it California income tax will 18%!! Get out while the getting is good.

Yeah, the snowy and cold states in the top 10 good list made me scratch my head. Definitely not on my Swamp Woman's good list. I'm good wherever as long as I am surrounded by large swaths of unoccupied land; except Alaska isn't on my list.
I didn't think Alaska was all that bad
it's a dryer cold
I think winter in the high Sierras is worse, & wetter
not as cold, but once it gets to about 10*f
it all feels the same, 32* is tee-shirt weather :poke:
the farther the north & east you go the colder it gets
probably why Ak only has 734,000 in the whole huge state
but;
the crime in the 2 largest cities
Anchorage & Fairbanks is getting bad/worse
lots of 'holdovers' & transients/transplants now
Ak was only like 550k population when I was living there

I loved the wide-open spaces & abundance of wildlife
hunting & fishing paradise, even offroading/4x4 or camping paradise
the long summers days are awesome too

In Anchorage/Palmer area where I was
(I almost literally 'had a dragstip' out of the back of my property in Palmer)
the longest day was 19 hrs & 41 min.s/sun/daylight
the shortest day was 4 hrs 19 min.s/sun/daylight
the sun doesn't really go overhead, it's more 'in the horizon'
goes behind the MOUNTAINS, then comes back up again
&
It has mountains too, lots of mountains
the largest Mountain in North America
I have to see mountains,
& the Ocean is a great perk too
albeit 'it's cold water'

Alaska it's not for everyone for sure
especially from Oct. to April
no state taxes/withholdings
they do have sales taxes
& the state of Alaska pays you a nice dividend from Oil Co. profits
for being a resident thru the winters,
I had a couple of checks for $5k, when I was living there
nice lil' bonus from Oil revenues
& it's a check for every person in the household, of any age

Last edited:
Saw today Craziforia wants universal healthcare. To pay for it California income tax will 18%!! Get out while the getting is good.

And for how many years now have I been bitchin about this? Seems no one wants to listen or care, all they do is bitch about it! The only one that's holding a gun to their head is themselves!

And for how many years now have I been bitchin about this? Seems no one wants to listen or care, all they do is bitch about it! The only one that's holding a gun to their head is themselves!
And whats it to you anyway?

I have a very close friend that’s a doctor and she told me the same thing today. I’ve cut myself off from the news completely so didn’t see that. I don’t know what to say. If they are successful in pulling that off the total destruction of this God forsaken place will be complete - if it wasn’t already. I WANT OUT!! Still uncertain where to go now that the Idaho deal fell thru - could still go there and might. Colorado has turned purple since I left in 1990. But it’s back on my list again. I was considering TX until I discovered the property taxes are unbelievably high. I’m not going somewhere and pay $20k a year in property tax. Colorado is amongst the lowest property tax states in the country. In addition their other tax bases are pretty low. ThE winters are mild and the summers beautiful. There’s nothing like the rocky mtn access there. My 10 years there were the best of my life after leaving my home state on MN.
I just desperately need to get out of this hell hole. And very soon.

KD.....
I lived in California as a youth. The Napa
valley is heaven on earth as far as scenery
and climate goes. Since you're retiring, there's
really no need to change states. Look for
smaller towns. Preferably in areas of the
state that share your general attitude towards
what you look for in the people themselves.
There are hundreds of thousands that wish
California would revert back to it's "golden
years". If you're retiring, life for you is
going to slow waaaay down. Find a slow
town. (Legget?).
Though lifes' forces moved me from California
to NM, I still had to get out of Albuquerque.
We moved to a smaller town in the same state.

I now see no sense in going to Kentucky, Georgia or Tennessee!! :poke::thumbsup:
Good.
I wish more saw it that way.
We're literally being stampeded anymore, comparatively speaking...
Apparently word is out that the combination of cheaper real estate, climate, lower COL and government overreach
in this state are irresistible to the relocatin'-minded retirees in northern states (and shockingly, lots of 'em
from Florida these days coming here as well).
They released statistics the other day about real estate sales in my county and there was over 1,000 parcels
sold last year alone (which is startling in a larger, spread out county with only 55,000 population in it to begin with).
Of those sales, the report says over 70% of transactions were with people from outside the region/state.
The joint is a relative bargain to those outsiders, apparently.

Sheesh. Talk about "you ain't from around here, are ya?"....
I'm told to be happy about the way my property value has markedly escalated as a result, but honestly?
I couldn't care less - I just pray things don't change due to the influx.

I guess we have different thoughts on where America is heading
well-bye (2017_10_11 10_04_54 UTC).jpg

Good.
I wish more saw it that way.
We're literally being stampeded anymore, comparatively speaking...
Apparently word is out that the combination of cheaper real estate, climate, lower COL and government overreach
in this state are irresistible to the relocatin'-minded retirees in northern states (and shockingly, lots of 'em
from Florida these days coming here as well).
They released statistics the other day about real estate sales in my county and there was over 1,000 parcels
sold last year alone (which is startling in a larger, spread out county with only 55,000 population in it to begin with).
Of those sales, the report says over 70% of transactions were with people from outside the region/state.
The joint is a relative bargain to those outsiders, apparently.

Sheesh. Talk about "you ain't from around here, are ya?"....
I'm told to be happy about the way my property value has markedly escalated as a result, but honestly?
I couldn't care less - I just pray things don't change due to the influx.
My brother bought a place 6 months ago, a place to just get out in the country, as he calls it. It's backs to Mark Twain national forest. 57 acres, pond, three out buildings and a 1200 square foot house with road frontage for 162,000. He loves playing and working on the place. It appraised last week for 275,000. I asked him what his plan is now. He said I'm 72 and I'll play for a few more years and give it to the kids. It's a beautiful part of the country and everyone knows everyone, he likes that. I'll never leave here, my final stop is already bought and paid for, Missouri, the show me state!!

Last edited:
My brother bought a place 6 months ago, a place to just get out in the country, as he calls it. It's backs to Mark Twain national forest. 57 acres, pond, three out buildings and a 1200 square foot house with road frontage for 162,000. He loves playing and working on the place. It appraised last week for 275,000. I asked him what his plan is now. He said I'm 72 and I'll play for a few more years and give it to the kids. It's a beautiful part of the country and everyone knows everyone, he likes that. I'll never leave here, my final stop is already bought and paid for, Missouri, the show me state!!
I can dig. :thumbsup:
I'm the same way here...I am where I belong, knew it in my heart when I got here.
My wife hates it when I say it, but when the decision was made to move here in '95, I basically came here to die.
Sounds morbid, I know - health issues at the time had jumped me to the point that I had actually done a bit
of involuntary flatlining already, so when the doc said to get outta Dodge (DC area), I followed orders.
Little did I know at the time that it would become a cure for a lot of what ailed me then....
but with every succeeding cancer attack or other organ failure to come, I stuck it out here, determined
to finish what I'd started.
It's worked so far. :thumbsup:

I would say about 80% of people moving into Prescott AZ area are from Cali. There are locals that do not like it. They actually drive with stickers on there cars stating so. Crazy stuff !

I can see this tread is starting to go in the wrong direction !

Ya know what? Of course not! I was out yesterday doing some antiquing in my new "little Mayberry" as some of the local's call it, and it fit's to a "T"! I live in one of those little town in a FREE state where you can hangout at the barber shop and "jaw jack" all day about nothing. They said that they got people moving from all over, but mostly from Fuckafornia and other fucked up states and they wonder why. I tell them my story and how there's many that want the values that Free America has to offer over Draconian, liberal backasswards states.
I'm really starting to enjoy the Christian values, the Law & Order mentality, the gun friendly, Vet friendly, and great cost of living that my new state has to offer. The more I'm exposed to that, the more I hate the fuckin Liberal mentality that many of you members have! Maybe that's another reason why I'm staying away from forums because they think I'm the problem and they're fine!

You are such an angry person. It would be a nice change to see you post about a car you’re working on or a topic that might help someone.

Auto Transport Service
Back