• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

There’s always FlagStaff Arizona. We stayed the night a hotel there on our way to Texas, it was snow covered and COLD!

I have to be careful here, but this is the most confusing thread I've ever read. So, after of all this, you really are moving to be near your in-laws in ARIZONA. You should have done that years ago when everyone was younger. By the time you rebuild your house to sell and then rebuild what you won't find to fits your needs, this will be your last move, make it count. Good luck!!

Man, that’s almost not funny! :rofl:

Dallas might be worse then California!

There is not enough money or booze or rust-free projects on Earth to get me to move to DFW. To me, it (and Houston) are Los Angeles with a Southern Plains flavor to it. I go to Dallas perhaps twice a year, and that is three times too many for me. Dallas used to be a really fun, conservative place in the '80s and early '90s, especially.

And my home state of Colorado is a certified shithole since the herds of West Coasters moved there (with their horrible Liberal politics) and made Colorado Cali-East. My family goes back to 1870 Colorado Territorial days, and were instrumental in the settling/founding of Gunnison and Crested Butte. It saddens and sickens me terribly to see what happened to nearly the entire state since roughly 1990. It's the Liberal mindset of the Front Range that is destroying Colorado. This is provable, 100% fact.

Last edited:
I hit Fort Worth on Saturday, the traffic was like LA, couldn’t get out there fast enough.

There is not enough money or booze or rust-free projects on Earth to get me to move to DFW. To me, it (and Houston) are Los Angeles with a Southern Plains flavor to it. I go to Dallas perhaps twice a year, and that is three times too many for me. Dallas used to be a really fun, conservative place in the '80s and early '90s, especially.

And my home state of Colorado is a certified shithole since the herds of West Coasters moved there (with their horrible Liberal politics) and made Colorado Cali-East. My family goes back to 1870 Colorado Territorial days, and were instrumental in the founding of Gunnison and Crested Butte. It saddens and sickens me terribly to see what happened to nearly the entire state since roughly 1990. It's the Liberal mindset of the Front Range that is destroying Colorado. This is provable, 100% fact.
I was looking at 2 Datsun 280zx’s. One was an 81 for 3k in Houston. One was an 82 in Norman Oklahoma for 3k. I made the trip to Oklahoma :lol:

I hit Fort Worth on Saturday, the traffic was like LA, couldn’t get out there fast enough.
I can't count how many times I would come through Dallas on 45 to 75 or vice versa and take 3+ hours to go 30 miles. Dallas sucks.

Please, do not move to Missouri. It's a well kept secret and we would love to keep it that way. It's called the show me state for a reason. Not perfect, but pretty close!!!!

Here you go @Hey-O. For anyone looking to move, Texas is here in blue, and Missouri is in red :lol:

6F0DECB2-2C63-4115-A130-5668623F9910.jpeg

Just about any big city is that way these days. I remember when I was stationed in San Antonio and I-10 was new (early 70's) and drove back to Pasadena in the middle of the night and ran 100-110 all the way until I got into Houston. Drove into Pasasdena (east side of Houston) less than 3 hours!!! Try that now a days.....

Greg,
It's easy to criticize something in every state, no place is perfect. Picking a place to call home forever is a monumental task to say the least. Not one state has it all, except Arizona, where your wifes family lives, family is her must right now. That makes Arizona the number one pick. That really speaks volumes of who you are! Ulli

Gas prices.....
Kingman is a town of about 35,000 people so it isn't exactly a large town. I'm used to paying $4.40 for midgrade here.
Also, NON Ethanol fuel is available!

1676700345793.png

Midgrade here is 3.16.
The population in st Charles mo and st peters mo, next to each other and I live close to the city line was less than 15,000 when I moved to this area. I bought land no one want and was turning 9,000 dollars into 18 to 20 thousand in a year. That went on for years. They are both at about 60 thousand people and those day are long gone. They now have used every square inch of open land and have no room to expand. To me, that's as big as it needs to be.

Greg,
It's easy to criticize something in every state, no place is perfect. Picking a place to call home forever is a monumental task to say the least. Not one state has it all, except Arizona, where your wifes family lives, family is her must right now. That makes Arizona the number one pick. That really speaks volumes of who you are! Ulli
Thank you.
Ulli, I agree....There will not likely be any place that fills all gaps and checks all the boxes.
I've noticed though that you have made it a point to refer to this move as a final one. It probably won't be. There is no way to know for certain. Some people at my age are worn out, tired and unable to do much for themselves. That is not the case with me. This past week, I was up on the roof of my house removing concrete tiles and performing repairs. I am still as capable as I was years ago. I didn't retire because of any health issue, I did it because I wanted to collect the pension while I work on the exit strategy...... I've ignored the maintenance on this house and needed to fix several things to get top dollar when we sell. Once I move out of this general area, I can work full time in any field that I want with zero restrictions. I didn't stay in this state because I'm broken down and can't get around.
I'm not Charles Atlas but I'm not in a wheelchair either!

1 laugh 3.jpg

Greg,
I never thought you were broke down, It's about time, age and how much you want to work on starting over twice at your age. If you stay in Arizona for around 8 to 10 years are you ready to move at that age and start over again. That's where I was going with my comment. No insult intended, just reality. Ulli

Some people at my age are worn out, tired and unable to do much for themselves. That is not the case with me.

Not yet, but with advancing age, it will come....and it will be here before you know it. Do you really want to be framing houses in your sixties? If you want to stay in the business, you should just do smaller residential cash jobs that you can handle yourself.

Greg,
I never thought you were broke down, It's about time, age and how much you want to work on starting over twice at your age. If you stay in Arizona for around 8 to 10 years are you ready to move at that age and start over again. That's where I was going with my comment. No insult intended, just reality. Ulli

Moving sucks and it doesn't get any easier with age, especially when moving long distances. Having moved twice in 5 years I know. However, with my moves the distances have only been less than 10 miles and we were able to move things gradually. However, with my last move, we hired movers to move the big stuff for us which was worth the money. I can't imagine what it would be like to pack everything up in one truck all at once out of state.

RC makes some really valid points. I worked in the moving business at the start of my career, and moved many families cross country after they found out that their chosen retirement location didn't work for them. Not something you want to put yourself through if you can avoid it.

I am sure you are in far better shape right now than the average Joe. Working a physical job keeps you younger. Until it doesn't. After my corporate career ended, I beat the daylights out of myself loading and unloading dry bulk tankers, and I was in great shape. When I turned 65, it started becoming a burden, the last four years were rough. It happens to all of us eventually.

Last edited:
RC makes some really valid points. I worked in the moving business at the start of my career, and moved many families cross country after they found out that their chosen retirement location didn't work for them. Not something you want to put yourself through if you can avoid it.

I am sure you are in far better shape right now than the average Joe. Working a physical job keeps you younger. Until it doesn't. After my corporate career ended, I beat the daylights out of myself loading and unloading dry bulk tankers, and I was in great shape. When I turned 65, it started becoming a burden, the last four years were rough. It happens to all of us eventually.
The great Muhammad Ali used to say and say often “Father Time waits for No Man”.

For myself I’ve noticed a lot of differences just in the last 2 years. I didn’t work in a physical business but I did a lot of physical things - for which I’m paying the price now Orthopedically speaking. Other than having a major heart attack in my mid-fifties most of my inside stuff is in pretty good shape. Stress of high level corporate sales is what almost put me under - but it didn’t. I’ve always felt the Good Lord had other plans for me rather than taking the dirt nap that night 14 years ago. Shortly after, I was done with corporate America and not a moment to soon. Jesus would I hate to be in that swamp these last few years.

Kern Dog,

I was born in Fairfield, lived in Cali all my life. My mom & sister are still in Elk Grove. Finally at age 60, I left my home state for Utah when they offered me the same money I was making in San Diego. Then after 2 years, I moved to Northern Idaho. Love the lower crime, more freedoms, and lower cost of living. Beautiful country here, like Cali in the 60’s. Love the 4 seasons but winter here is like Tahoe so you have to like the snow . Miss my family and my kids, but we travel back when we can. That’s the part that’s tough, but honestly, I can’t bring myself to move back to the people’s republic of Kamalafornia. Moving all my cars and tools damn near killed me, but we pulled it off. Good luck in your decision!

Ps you won’t see this in Cali!

1AE845EB-B181-4A60-86A5-C2F47FBEE2D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Fairfield! I built many houses there....Cordelia to be exact. Right where 680 intersects I-80. 1993 to around 2009.
I do have a bunch of car parts to move. I'm considering a shipping container rental if there is such a thing.
I have several friends that have left this state. One moved to American Falls, Idaho. The others are in Bandera Texas, Huntsville Alabama, Durant Tennessee, Wellsville, New York and the last one is in Georgia somewhere.
I started this thread over 4 years ago! Holy crap, I have really dragged this out.

Auto Transport Service
Back