• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

We moved due to family too. 3000 miles West. The “kids” are still in the house back there. It’s not an income property. Some of them carry their own AARP cards. Start early. Escape early.

Septic systems come in 2 types, aerobic and anaerobic. One uses electricity and the other does not. One you do absolutely nothing as it operates on gravity and you can add RidX every now and then if ya want and the leech field drain the liquid away. The other uses an air pump and septic sprinkler system, that’s why you need electricity. Also you’ll need to add septic only chlorine tablets (not pool chlorine tablets) once a month which helps with the liquid becoming almost potable (I don’t advise drinking it but plants should be ok).

Unfortunately for me and my wife we prefer a bit on the larger size population towns. Either that or short drive access to them. I’m not a small town guy. Since most of the West Coast has been destroyed that leaves few options. Zero interest in going East - I would consider the Carolinas but too far from my wife’s family.
The whole country has - in a matter of speaking - been rezoned in the last twenty years making once highly desirable areas completely undesirable.
You don't leave many options at all.
Bigger cities are going to have the politics that you're trying to escape.
Rural areas are far more supportive of freedoms that are protected by the constitution.

It's called urban sprawl and it's hard to keep away from people that continue to move to get away from the thing that keeps chasing them. I've had all kinds of homes. Some further out and some in developments. If you want to escape tighter areas you'll have to move out, I mean out. I've been followed and it took 10 years before I was in the middle of the city again with 1.5 acres and a lake and an assload of neigbhors. I won't do septic, I've had three and that, here anyway, requires 3 acres and that's takes me out to far anymore. Watch what you ask for, you want to have fun, buildings and playing dukes of hazzards. That's great, but the guy next door to you and all land touches someone else's land, may have the same idea and I don't want to look at what he thinks is great and I think is a shithole. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's called urban sprawl and it's hard to keep away from people that continue to move to get away from the thing that keeps chasing them. I've had all kinds of homes. Some further out and some in developments. If you want to escape tighter areas you'll have to move out, I mean out. I've been followed and it took 10 years before I was in the middle of the city again with 1.5 acres and a lake and an assload of neigbhors. I won't do septic, I've had three and that, here anyway, requires 3 acres and that's takes me out to far anymore. Watch what you ask for, you want to have fun, buildings and playing dukes of hazzards. That's great, but the guy next door to you and all land touches someone else's land, may have the same idea and I don't want to look at what he thinks is great and I think is a shithole. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Excellent analysis. My dad went as rural as he could when he fled New York City to Penn State. He picked an area that was zoned industrial, next a stone quarry, but gerrymandered into the premium State College school district. The shack next door housed a welfare recipient during the 1960s. His strategy was to be insulated from the sprawl he knew would come, because of what was located outside his one acre property line. History proved him a savant, and he lived there for nearly 50 years.

Septic is a pain, and my wife refused to deal with it after we paid a $10,000 connection fee when our first home went on the sewer system in 1990. Dad and I used to dig up the tank on the old homestead just about every spring after the drain field plugged, and a pump out was required.

Because of my wife's career, we bought our current home in town. Sewer system, big enough lot for privacy, only downside for me was limited garage space. It turned out to be an excellent compromise, and this is our last stop before assisted living.

There’s nothing wrong with septic systems. You need to have the tanks emptied every 3-5 years. And if it’s a system that uses a leech field, you don’t plant trees anywhere near the lines. If it’s a sprinkler type, a few chlorine tablets (rated for septic systems and not pool tablets) once a month and the tanks need to be emptied every 3-5 years. Septic systems are very good, and a very low cost option if you can’t connect to city sewer lines. And if ya want to keep them from backing up into the house, you put a $30 one way door just before the tank that you can get to and inspect. Very simple indeed.

There’s nothing wrong with septic systems. You need to have the tanks emptied every 3-5 years. And if it’s a system that uses a leech field, you don’t plant trees anywhere near the lines. If it’s a sprinkler type, a few chlorine tablets (rated for septic systems and not pool tablets) once a month and the tanks need to be emptied every 3-5 years. Septic systems are very good, and a very low cost option if you can’t connect to city sewer lines. And if ya want to keep them from backing up into the house, you put a $30 one way door just before the tank that you can get to and inspect. Very simple indeed.
Good point about the trees. Dad always remarked about how well the trees he planted for sound protection from the quarry traffic grew around the drain field. Not surprising there was a downside. The hookup construction cost was a major issue in the areas of town we considered, because of the big lots. Many went on sewer during the era we purchased the current house, and a stomach churning 30K final expenditure was not unheard of.

Last edited:
I have an 1800 gallon tank and 500 feet of weepers. Guess someday I should get around to pumping the tank, 26 years in... lol

Probably, but I’ve heard of people never pumping out the tank also.

I had a septic system before. It's great till you have 15 or 20 people over and the tank is full and the drain field is over used for the day. Water trying to surface and leaving the yard soft and wet and then you have a no go zone in my yard. Yes, if you have a BIG yard where the drain field runs to a spot you don't use, yes it's great, but if you entertain, pool parties and big BBQ's, no thanks. I get it, if you live out, you need one, not for me anymore.

I have an 1800 gallon tank and 500 feet of weepers. Guess someday I should get around to pumping the tank, 26 years in... lol
Big difference, 150 foot was almost to much for the lots we had. 500 hundred and acres of land is a huge difference. That works.

Also the sprinkler type, it uses a float, so when it lifts, sprinklers come on. Just don’t be around where they spray.

You don't leave many options at all.
Bigger cities are going to have the politics that you're trying to escape.
Rural areas are far more supportive of freedoms that are protected by the constitution.
Oh yes - don’t I know it. And as I said I really don’t know what to de about it. I could take more of an outlier than my wife could. She lived most of her life in Saigon with a current population of about 10m and that’s not counting the burbs there. Just Metro Saigon - where her family lived. Right now there‘s something like 6,000 people per square Km. She’s been here now for 23 years. Moved here a month after 9-11. She’s just doesn’t get it nor does her family. They think of “country living” as going back out to the provinces where the parents were raised and even a couple of the older siblings. They think of the hardships they escaped - and there were many. Think of them living in Quan Tri Province the bloodiest area during the war - it was right on the DMZ. She never really experienced those hardships but she know’s of them.

I’ve taken her to some beautiful outlying areas and she just completely shuts down. you’d have to experience it with her to know the depth of what I’m saying. Natural beauty and no neighbors right on top of us is so far off the desirability scale for her it‘s kind of mind blowing. The only way she’ll go is if I say I’m leaving so you have two choices - She would come but I know how difficult it would be for her especially with her family far away. Her family is in agreement with me. You go where your husband goes and deal with it. My head wants to do it but my heart can’t do that to her. Yes I’ve really limited things and I truly don‘t know what to do about it. I just keep looking around and now with the cancer issue it would be foolish to try and leave anytime in the next 1.5 - 2 yrs. I’ve sacrificed a lot during this desire to move period, but I won’t sacrifice her health or take her away from her family during this time for any reason. That would be self serving and nothing about it would be right.

Uhhh....

E6B5f3E6Ld00.jpg

Why does there need to be a special vision for black people? It's the same vision as white brown red or green people.. Get a job... There are plenty to go around....

Having a special vision for black people is a racist idea..

You want to be treated special cause your black? Move the San Francisco....

Why did this even come up in Greg's moving thread? Or at all?

Last edited:
If black, Asian, Hispanic or other people have the same values as me, I have no problem with them. Tennessee is our other eventual destination and their black population is much higher than the national average. If the people are honest and decent, I'll be as friendly and welcoming to them as I can.
I make jokes about race all the time because I find offensive things to be funny. Obnoxious humor just tickles me. I posted the meme above in #1076 just to be silly.
Toothless dirtbag white people embarrass me as much as a pants dragging, gold tooth black dude embarrasses the average black person. These lower level idiots reflect poorly on all of us.

Auto Transport Service
Back