• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

Make that move and you'll wish you stayed in California.
Do you care to explain a little further?
Are you of the belief that it is a heavily trafficked illegal immigration hot spot? Arizona overall rated 8th highest in the nation for auto theft. I don't know where the highest concentration of thefts were though.

Do you care to explain a little further?
Are you of the belief that it is a heavily trafficked illegal immigration hot spot? Arizona overall rated 8th highest in the nation for auto theft. I don't know where the highest concentration of thefts were though.
It will cost Arizona taxpayers more than $200 million when all is said and done to remove the container wall they built. In 2020, illegal immigrants cost Arizona public schools over $748 million, an economic burden that will likely increase due to the ongoing border crisis. 99 percent of these funds come from Arizona taxpayers’ local and state taxes, not the federal government. Arizona is one of the most popular states to move to due to its warm weather, and beautiful scenery. However, there are a few reasons why you might not want to move to Arizona. One reason is that the state is going through a drought. This means that the water supply is running low and the water quality is decreasing. In addition, the cost of living in Arizona is high when compared to many other states. Arizona is one of the driest and most scorching states in the United States. Not only is there nothing growing, but the weather is constantly baking and blistering. The air quality could also not be worse. When it comes to highways, Arizona is lacking. There are only two routes that run through the state, one going north-south and the other east-west. They have a few dirt roads, I know you love dirt and gravel.
Crime, in Missouri we have crime, most all of it in St. Louis. There has been an increase in crime rates in Arizona over the past few years. Many people are concerned about the trend and wonder why it’s happening. One reason I think is that the state’s economy is changing. More people are moving to Arizona, which may cause an increase in crime as they try to find jobs and housing. Add to that a lack of social services in many parts of the state, which may lead to an increase in crime because some people have no where to turn. I'm not here to beat on anyone or anywhere, but, it's a little close to that end of the country to be the big change you're looking for and running away from. You talk about trees, green and land, think about it. I just think it's a big move for such a little change. You don't need my blessing to move closer to your wife's family. Just remember, odds are it's going to be your last move, make it count and if Arizona is it, I'm glad for you.

KD - since you're now retired and your wife can work remotely anywhere with good internet, why not inform your decision a bit more with boots on the ground for longer periods? Keep the Northern California digs intact for a few more years and pick 3-5 places that you both go to live for 3-6 months a year, returning to your current California spot each time with renewed perspective Don't feel the pressure of time to move right away. You'll know when it's time. After a few of those trips, it may be an easier decision. Another rule of thumb I often follow - when moving somewhere new, do NOT buy a new place to live there until you've lived and rented there at least 6 mo. You need to get the lay of the land and find out which areas you want to be in and which ones to avoid. Also, don't make up your mind on a place in the first few days if you've never been there. I recall visiting SLO, California just prior to relocating there for college and the first 2 times I visited for 2 days each I didn't like it at all. Once I moved down there and lived there for a few months I really liked it and then after living there for 3 years, it became one of my favorite places in the world.

KD - since you're now retired and your wife can work remotely anywhere with good internet, why not inform your decision a bit more with boots on the ground for longer periods? Keep the Northern California digs intact for a few more years and pick 3-5 places that you both go to live for 3-6 months a year, returning to your current California spot each time with renewed perspective Don't feel the pressure of time to move right away. You'll know when it's time. After a few of those trips, it may be an easier decision. Another rule of thumb I often follow - when moving somewhere new, do NOT buy a new place to live there until you've lived and rented there at least 6 mo. You need to get the lay of the land and find out which areas you want to be in and which ones to avoid. Also, don't make up your mind on a place in the first few days if you've never been there. I recall visiting SLO, California just prior to relocating there for college and the first 2 times I visited for 2 days each I didn't like it at all. Once I moved down there and lived there for a few months I really liked it and then after living there for 3 years, it became one of my favorite places in the world.
I lived in SLO from 80-96. Moved back to San Diego county in 96[ SD county homie from 58-80]. After 22 years, wife and I escaped back to here. We were questioning our move to SD after less tan a year but sometimes life takes you there for a reason. Being gone from here for 22 years makes being back much better. I originally moved up here on a fluke as my mom sold her house and since I had to move, figured why not head here. Bro's and sis went to Poly, had visited a couple of times before, so figured why not. This area is awesome, to us at least. Not cheap but you can make do with adjustments.

I will do my best to keep this post NON Political.
The noose is tightening here in California. Every day, it seems that more regulations get piled on, more taxes, more stupid laws, more coddling to the **** and scum that put up tents along busy roadways. More tolerance for criminal and deviant behavior, more pandering to the trespassers and penalties for those that abide the law and pay the freight.
Next week, I'm flying to Arizona to look at some properties with the wife.
I have numerous things to fix on this house here. There are some things that have been neglected and other stuff that simply needs a little tune up.
I have concentrated on work and cars for many years and neglected the house. I'm currently fixing the patio cover where I've had leaks for a couple of years. With the drought we have had, I forgot how bad it was.
I have no intention of changing fixtures since many new buyers like to come in and remodel to suit their tastes.
The house and shop need to be complete and clean. I have some single pane windows to replace and about 40% of the house that needs new siding.
Lucky for me, I'm retired and have the free time.
Next week's visit may only turn out to be a fact finding mission. I want to put my feet on the ground to get a feel for the area. Kingman AZ is 1 1/2 hours from Las Vegas, 4 1/2 miles from Van Nuys and has a similar climate to Sacramento due to the higher elevation as compared to the valleys in AZ.
Acreage is preferred. NO HOAs either....

Just gonna ask, how about Texas? Homes in my area (new) are running about 379k and it’s got weather very similar to your current place….although we had an ice storm not too long ago. Weatherford Texas, check it out.

Just gonna ask, how about Texas? Homes in my area (new) are running about 379k and it’s got weather very similar to your current place….although we had an ice storm not too long ago. Weatherford Texas, check it out.
Mary has family in Arizona. She wants to be closer to them after being in CA for 24 years.
This may not be our last move. This simply kick starts the exodus from this mismanaged state.

The noose is tightening here in California. Every day, it seems that more regulations get piled on, more taxes, more stupid laws, more coddling to the **** and scum that put up tents along busy roadways. More tolerance for criminal and deviant behavior, more pandering to the trespassers and penalties for those that abide the law and pay the freight.
I have numerous things to fix on this house here. There are some things that have been neglected and other stuff that simply needs a little tune up.
I have concentrated on work and cars for many years and neglected the house. I'm currently fixing the patio cover where I've had leaks for a couple of years. With the drought we have had, I forgot how bad it was.
I have no intention of changing fixtures since many new buyers like to come in and remodel to suit their tastes.
The house and shop need to be complete and clean. I have some single pane windows to replace and about 40% of the house that needs new siding.
Next week's visit may only turn out to be a fact finding mission. I want to put my feet on the ground to get a feel for the area. Kingman AZ is 1 1/2 hours from Las Vegas, 4 1/2 miles from Van Nuys and has a similar climate to Sacramento due to the higher elevation as compared to the valleys in AZ.
KD, Kingman's temperatures in the summer are great, but the winter is going to be a little colder than the Sacramento
area. It sits at about 3600' altitude so snow can make an appearance occasionally as well. Best of luck.

Kingman would be nice, not as crowded and only an hour from Lake Havasu.
She had bookmarked several places earlier today. We looked at them tonight.
On the surface, I look like THE asshole.

1 Joey.GIF

Each property that she clicked on, I found some deal breaker about it. Normally it is the woman that doesn't like the kitchen or the bathroom.
For me, it is the dirt roads leading to the place, the lack of any sort of shop, too small of a lot or an ugly looking landscape.
I don't want to live on a dirt road. If all I owned was a 4wd truck, that would be fine.
I have a few "builder" cars that should be stowed out of sight and all sorts of parts that need to be as well. A small lot wouldn't allow that unless it had a decent sized shop to hide behind.
I worry about the dogs if the place has zero grass. They probably would adapt but wouldn't rocks and dirt be a lot less fun for them?
I wonder about why so few people plant grass there. I know of people in Scottsdale that have grass and it gets really hot there. Kingman is cooler. Most of these rural properties are on well water. What happens when that well runs dry?

I've no doubt you'll like and get used to
the Kingman area. I've traveled thru
there many times as I have a sister
that resides in Vegas. So glad you're
vacating a state that ONCE was free
and beautiful, with the best climate.
I lived in California during those days.
But Kingman, or not, we here wish you
the best.
I made the move and don't regret it for
for a second.

She had bookmarked several places earlier today. We looked at them tonight.
On the surface, I look like THE asshole.

View attachment 1418391

Each property that she clicked on, I found some deal breaker about it. Normally it is the woman that doesn't like the kitchen or the bathroom.
For me, it is the dirt roads leading to the place, the lack of any sort of shop, too small of a lot or an ugly looking landscape.
I don't want to live on a dirt road. If all I owned was a 4wd truck, that would be fine.
I have a few "builder" cars that should be stowed out of sight and all sorts of parts that need to be as well. A small lot wouldn't allow that unless it had a decent sized shop to hide behind.
I worry about the dogs if the place has zero grass. They probably would adapt but wouldn't rocks and dirt be a lot less fun for them?
I wonder about why so few people plant grass there. I know of people in Scottsdale that have grass and it gets really hot there. Kingman is cooler. Most of these rural properties are on well water. What happens when that well runs dry?
Wells are easily pulled and drilled deeper, the aquifer is supposed to contain enough for another 100+ years at current consumption rates. Kingman has a homeless problem to. Broke down campers are abundant. I don't know about the grass except its desert, nothing grows in the desert. Good luck sir.

Don't like snow enough to live there lol but it's very purdy up yonder!

Man, that’s almost not funny! :rofl:

Dallas might be worse then California!
Haven't spent enough time up in Dallas to know but I'm betting it's better than Houston (would hope so) but doubt it's worse than any city in CA? Just glad to be where I am as far as Houston is concerned. Just far enough away from their BS and where I 'is' it's a blue collar area but with the chem plants and refineries not too far away, a lot of the blue workers make more than many of the white collar people. Also glad to be living south of all of the petro/chem companies since we get a LOT more southerly breeze than we do northerly and when the wind is out of the northern direction it's usually from the NW or the NE and most of the stank misses this area. Just so glad the paper mill moved out because it was directly NE of me and got that stank a lot years ago. Now I get the good stank of the Mexican restaurant that's NE of me and it's not that far away. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back