• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

JG-17-102943-Edit.jpg

Retired naval aviator, I knew years ago used that term when talking AF aviation. I don't think the AF has bragging rights about who the best pilots are. But thats just me. :nutkick:
Thank you for your Service to our GREAT Country!
I have been "privy" to work with the BEST of the BEST here at Edwards AFB, F-22 Flight Test program.

Some of them were retired US NAVY
Darn good pilots, very sharp, professional.
In fact, Currently: Lockheed-Martin's CHIEF F-22 Flight Test EVAL/Instructor Pilot "Hooter", retired USAF, actually went to the US NAVYs Flight Test School a couple of years after he graduated from the US Air Force Academy!

Boeing has redesigned the wings on the 777 series. Made of carbon fiber, they're lighter, lower drag and longer than the old wings. So long in fact, the jets wouldn't fit the airport gates so they came up with a solution - the wingtips fold up. View attachment 620541
View attachment 620542
The FAA just approved (last month) this type of wing, something that hasn't ever been applied to a civil airliner before.
Photon, at the beginning of the 777 program we only built one pair of those fold up wings and no airline company opted for this. If memory hasn't failed me, I think it was the second or third pair we built.
Bob :moparsmiley:

Thank you for your Service to our GREAT Country!
I have been "privy" to work with the BEST of the BEST here at Edwards AFB, F-22 Flight Test program.

Some of them were retired US NAVY
Darn good pilots, very sharp, professional.
In fact, Currently: Lockheed-Martin's CHIEF F-22 Flight Test EVAL/Instructor Pilot "Hooter", retired USAF, actually went to the US NAVYs Flight Test School a couple of years after he graduated from the US Air Force Academy!
Remedial training never hurt anyone. :thumbsup:

I did some work on this retired naval aviators house in the early eighties. He invited me to come back for a social afternoon because of my aviation interest, nothing special just that he was a widower and wanted some company. I knew once in the house he was a, F4 Phantom naval aviator by the pictures on the wall. I wish I could recall his name but he was almost seventy. I had a nice afternoon listening to him talk about his flying career. He was appreciative for the visit I promised to come back but never did make it. Saw his obit in the paper a couple of years later.

My BUD retired last year F-22 Flight TEST
Flew WSO NAVY F-4 NAM
Got a KILL, famous incident, Gulf of Tonkin, MIG KiLL

He's shy

Photon, at the beginning of the 777 program we only built one pair of those fold up wings and no airline company opted for this. If memory hasn't failed me, I think it was the second or third pair we built.
Bob :moparsmiley:
This isn't the beginning of the program, this is the latest 777X models of which none have yet been delivered. The first airframe was only started to be built this March (2018), and Boeing's own website lists folding wings as part of the specs. They aren't listed as an option. 326 orders are sitting on the books right now.

I can't imagine why an airline would say "no, we don't want the fuel saving version for our newest fleet". The original design that you may be thinking of was more complex and had a longer folding area than the current design.

of all of the times I or the wife have all our cameras out on tripods today I don't have one or my cell a B25 Mitchell fly just above my pole barn I mean super low and loud I scramble to get all and never another fly over boy did we miss the money shot I feel real bumed
emoticon-placing-hand-on-head-260nw-563153965.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back