• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

13390842245_b2c93209e8_b.jpg

A Me 109G-6 of 12./JG 2 is prepared for test firing 21cm rockets at Beaumont Le Roger in 1943

9232834791_013e89e284_b.jpg

Somebody asked why so much interest in German WW2 aircraft.
Wild, at times, fantastic variations of design. Always figured if anyone could make a brick fly, they could!
And, it was said, by some of our pilots...gotta give it to them, the jerries are beautiful flyers!

Wild, at times, fantastic variations of design. Always figured if anyone could make a brick fly, they could!
And, it was said, by some of our pilots...gotta give it to them, the jerries are beautiful flyers!

The Germans did have some pretty cool aircraft.

and if the Germans had more competent leaders....things would have turned out differently.

I might have asked that.
I'm half German and assumed I'm not the only one. Going by the amount of interest in the aircraft.

Corsair has always been my favorite though!

Last edited:
and if the Germans had more competent leaders....things would have turned out differently.
Perhaps lucky then that it turned out that way. The Luftwaffe was not ready for battle when Hitler surprised them with war plans in 1939. They knew war was coming but were preparing for a 1942 or 1943 beginning. They could have been really overwhelming if that had occurred.

Yeah, I've met my share of well known WW2 pilots, American and German. Galland, Boyington, a few. The doctor who made my plastic eye, one of the best, was a German fighter pilot. Flew the FW.

Going to an airshow, east Texas, in the B-25, Craig (owner/pilot) knew an old boy named Peppy Blount. Flew 25s in the Pacific. Made a couple circuits around his house that morning. Peppy came running out front, waving a large American flag...only wearing his briefs!!
Good times.

Yeah, I've met my share of well known WW2 pilots, American and German. Galland, Boyington, a few. The doctor who made my plastic eye, one of the best, was a German fighter pilot. Flew the FW.

Going to an airshow, east Texas, in the B-25, Craig (owner/pilot) knew an old boy named Peppy Blount. Flew 25s in the Pacific. Made a couple circuits around his house that morning. Peppy came running out front, waving a large American flag...only wearing his briefs!!
Good times.
Very interesting.
By accident I met Joe Foss at an NRA function about 20 years ago. Very nice guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back