• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1664437385260.png
1664437405522.png

Ever since the 60s, the B-52 has used Pratt&Whitney engines (TF33-P-3 turbofans) but that will come to an end as P&W won't be supporting those old engines past 2030. The new engines that were selected will be made by Rolls Royce after a competition that included newer P&W and GE engines. The RR BR725 is named the F130 for the US military and has the same power as the outgoing engines but are cleaner and more fuel efficient, so the range will be increased at the same time that maintenance costs will be reduced.

The Air Force is buying 650 of these engines for the program.

Wind tunnel testing of new engine nacelles has been completed, the re-engined airplanes will be flying after 2026.
1664465159138.png

Weren't they notoriously noisy though?
Yes, they were.
I really think those planes were a factor in me developing tinnitus (ringing in the ears) after Air Force enlistments. But the veterans review turned me down after evaluation.
During my Air Force years in the 1970's i worked on them at Mather AFB, taking them apart, and putting them back together, what was called phased inspections.
Don't know how many of those little bastards that i tore apart, and put back together.
T-37's weren't my favorite Air Force aircraft.
I never saw the A-37 version of that plane, during my enlistments.
The T-37's were used at Mather for navigator training.
Give me an old dinosaur F-4 Phantom, any day of the week.
But now were in the word of Air Force F-22's and F-35's.

Last edited:
I wonder how many Tweets are in civilian hands? It seems like a nice jet to own for personal use.
Never heard of T-37's being sold off for any civilian use, when the AF retired them all out of service.
They went to the aircraft bone yard in Arizona, and or dismantled, or crushed.

Weren't they notoriously noisy though?

I read an article written by a pilot who flew them in Vietnam, which claimed the A-37 was incredibly effective because it was quiet. Perhaps he was throttled back?

Wikipedia says there were 6 latin American countries still flying the Tweet as of a few years ago, so perhaps a few will make it into civilian hands.

I read an article written by a pilot who flew them in Vietnam, which claimed the A-37 was incredibly effective because it was quiet. Perhaps he was throttled back?

Wikipedia says there were 6 latin American countries still flying the Tweet as of a few years ago, so perhaps a few will make it into civilian hands.
Maybe, Dunno, about foreign country planes, A-37 version, or the T-37 if they had them too.

Auto Transport Service
Back