• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1699221463720.png

That is the hangar fire suppression system doing as designed.

We had this happen in our hangar. The system had an accidental discharge. While it was happening we were frantically pulling our Huey helicopters outside. CFR ( Crash, Fire, rescue) was there due to responding to the alarm. We got them to hose the crap out of our helicopters. The foam has corrosive properties.
We spent the rest of the day getting all the foam broken down and into the floor drains. It was an epic battle in foam up to your neck. Soaking wet and tripping over stuff on the floor that couldn't be see due to all the foam.

When it was all said and done. We had to keep the aircraft outside until the system was repaired, tested, and recharged.

There was an accidental discharge years ago at LRAFB and the hangar doors were open and the stuff rolled out on the apron and over quite an area. I don’t remember all the details but it either got in some of the sewer manholes in the area or threatened to and they went to municipal treatment facility in Jacksonville which created some tense issues between the AF and the city from memory.

While I was working there we built several new C-130 Hangars with AFFF systems. It was always interesting when we had to run a discharge test at completion for the Base Fire Chief. He would not put his seal of approval on acceptance of the hangar until this was done. They would set a large flat pan in the center of the hangar and put about an inch of jet fuel in it and then ignite it and observe if the sensors responded correctly/immediately and if the foam cannons started up properly and timely and swept the entire floor area. As I remember we didn’t run a full discharge - at least nothing like in those pictures - but it did create a heck of a mess for our contractor to clean up.

Auto Transport Service
Back