• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who runs "Hemi" Mufflers? Looking for sound clips

Isaiah Estrada

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Looking into some exhaust options for my build. From what I hear, a nice "loud but not too loud" muffler is the factory Hemi muffler. Looking on YouTube, I can't really find any examples of what they sound like! Exhaust system will be hooked up to a stock 440. I'm running some small temporary glasspacks and she is LOUD. Although I do love that classic glasspack sound, I know it'll be annoying at freeway speed.

In a nutshell: Volume level 1 thru 10, I'm shooting for a 5!

Please link any videos you may have of what a Hemi muffler would sound like. Would really love to hear them!

They aren’t that loud - a little guttural at idle but fairly quiet otherwise except at full throttle. The Dynomax on my 67 GTX are probably a little louder than the Accurate Hemi mufflers on my 66 Hemi.

I would say a real hemi muffler would be a 3 to 2 1/2.
(Factory stock sound level, remember)
Pick which "sound" you like. Chambered, (Flowmaster, hooker aero) triple pass (Turbo, hemi, 99% stock apps) or straight thru ( glasspacks, dynomax ultra flow, etc).
Then pipe size and case size will determine sound level.

Here's my 440 Bird and 383 Bee idling. The Bird has Chrysler Newyorker mufflers on it that are 30 years old (and what were considered "Hemi" replacements back then) and the Bee has a full OE exhaust on it from ECS.

Here's my Hemi idling through a full stock system. 2 1/2 in and 2 1/4 out and tail pipes. Like a corked up puppy. Not sure who's mufflers, but I can look for any markings on them.

Check out @Voetom on "similar threads". He says he can produce CD's of various muffler sounds.

Mine sounds pretty much like dadsbee. These are Accurate mufflers.

And on fast idle.

Last edited:
Here's my 440 Bird and 383 Bee idling. The Bird has Chrysler Newyorker mufflers on it that are 30 years old (and what were considered "Hemi" replacements back then) and the Bee has a full OE exhaust on it from ECS.

Here's my Hemi idling through a full stock system. 2 1/2 in and 2 1/4 out and tail pipes. Like a corked up puppy. Not sure who's mufflers, but I can look for any markings on them.

Classic license plate! Nicely done

I have them on my New Yorker. Nice rumble but not loud at all. Sorry, no sound clip though.

These are Dynomax turbo mufflers with TTI headers 3" system.

Running the Dynomax turbos from TTI on the 440RB. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and put the electronic cut outs in while you have it apart. You get the best of both worlds. Open it up to make some noise and shut it down thru the neighborhood. After running it open, any muffler sounds like a Tesla passing by. The best part if you have a decent cam is you can hear each cylinder hit at idle.

Interior noise with cut outs open.

Looking into some exhaust options for my build. From what I hear, a nice "loud but not too loud" muffler is the factory Hemi muffler. Looking on YouTube, I can't really find any examples of what they sound like! Exhaust system will be hooked up to a stock 440. I'm running some small temporary glasspacks and she is LOUD. Although I do love that classic glasspack sound, I know it'll be annoying at freeway speed.

In a nutshell: Volume level 1 thru 10, I'm shooting for a 5!

Please link any videos you may have of what a Hemi muffler would sound like. Would really love to hear them!
Sound levels are subjective.......and vary, depending on individual preference, tolerance, and resonance level.....I believe the origional OEM "Hemi" mufflers were made by either ARVIN or WALKER, side inlet and center outlet, galvanized or aluminized steel, 2-1/2" inlet 2-1/4" outlet and have the inlet end notched slightly, to gain a little clearance for the propeller shaft, and have a condensate weep hole on the outlet end .....if you're looking for originality....if not, my preference would be Flow Master.
BOB RENTON

My Accurate repros lack the weep hole and I probably need to drill them as they hold a lot of moisture. A friend with a 69 hemi Roadrunner, his new resonators rusted out in 3 years of sparse driving from moisture in them.

Setting up something very similar - H or X pipe?

H pipe. It is tight near the gas tank area but it fits. I would go for 2.5" if it was a semi performance build for fit, but this was on the car so I kept it. It is pretty tight with the 2" headers too changing number 1 and 2 plugs with power stering on the drivers side.

Auto Transport Service
Back