• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who uses Dielectric grease for their bulkhead terminals?

That was back in the 80's and early 90's. Will say that the ol' brain cells aren't what they use to be. I still have two but one is dead and the other is running for it's life. LOL. :poke:

It is not an insulator nor is it a conductor. It's more neutral. Conduction happens with metal to metal contact. It just seals the contact. Ever pull any light bulb on any later model car? The socket is covered with it. I've used No-Lox for over 40 years which is what us sparkies use without any problem. Similar to dielectric grease that stops oxidation and moisture just a bit cheaper.
A few long-time customers' facilities spec only aluminum conduit and fittings so they'll probably find that crap inside me when they do my autopsy:D
I don't use it on the car though, I find it gets too liquidy for me especially when it gets warm.

index121.jpg

TO USE A DI-ELECTRIC COMPOUND OR NOT......to paraphrase Wm. Shakespeare....."to be or not to be.... that is the question".... I would guess that it depends on one's philosophy and what provides "piece of mind". Personally, I'm going to use the compound that provides a non-corrosion and yet conductive connection. But its an individual preference. Similar to the on going argument regarding Timken tapered roller axle bearings vs "Green" style bearings....or the old Abbott and Costello routine: "whose on first...." Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

When you pull an aged connection apart and find stuff "growing" on the conductors, dielectric grease makes sense.

From the DeOxIt website:
The only true method of eliminating oxidation and surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT® products from other products, putting it in a class by itself.
Sure, the dielectric grease works, but it will always attract dirt. The dirt attracts moisture. Flush and soak the contacts with DeOxIt and you are done. No mess, no grease, no dirt attraction, etc.

From the DeOxIt website:
The only true method of eliminating oxidation and surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT® products from other products, putting it in a class by itself.
Sure, the dielectric grease works, but it will always attract dirt. The dirt attracts moisture. Flush and soak the contacts with DeOxIt and you are done. No mess, no grease, no dirt attraction, etc.
Have to disagree kinda 'billccm', Di-electric simply works. I've done it both ways with cleaners with DeOxIt and others but you need Di-electric sooner or later. After 30+ years of salt&mileage on semi-trucks, I believe in di-electric grease. We used to have clean contacts for potential corrosion and then di-electric was applied right after.

Have to disagree kinda 'billccm', Di-electric simply works. I've done it both ways with cleaners with DeOxIt and others but you need Di-electric sooner or later. After 30+ years of salt&mileage on semi-trucks, I believe in di-electric grease. We used to have clean contacts for potential corrosion and then di-electric was applied right after.
Oh,and these were service bulletins were from the manufacturer.

On plug wires it's not so much as getting it on the metal contacts as it is on the carbon and ferrite used in the wire itself. The grease will breakdown those parts of the wire over time.
Learned something new today. I have always greased up the inner wire before crimping on the distributor end terminal. How long you think I got before problems arise?

I never have before. I have several Mopars here that don't have electrical problems even though they sit awhile between drives.
My project car has some electrical problems that I am working on including the replacement of the bulkhead plug and fuse box. As I start putting it back together, I am curious about using the grease to reduce the risk of corrosion. The humidity here is relatively low but the Wife and I are considering a move to a place that may be more humid. I thought I read somewhere that the corrosion gets worse with higher humidity.
If I do use the stuff, I'm guessing that each terminal only needs a small amount.
I have, but I've only used it when I had a reason separate two halves. And yes only a small amount, I use a Q-tip.

Auto Transport Service
Back