• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why AMD fender have a double or “ long hole “ for the underhood bumper near cowl

For aftermarket parts I’m pretty happy with them. I’m also grateful they are available. These parts have made many many many of these cars possible to even be restored.
I’ve been restoring professionally for a long time. Pretty much all body panels need help whether it’s welding on an edge to tighten up a body gap, or making a cut and welding because a corner is off. All of that is pretty much standard unless you have a NOS piece. And there’s no guarantee that’s going to fit because a lot of service parts were factory 2nds.
Could be that the model part used to set up wasn’t 100% and no one knew.

Without AMD a lot of these cars and many many others would be done for.

I don't do metal/bodywork, but when I watch people that do (and are damn good at it) like
Chris Birdsong (Junkerup on YouTube), he goes into some pretty good detail about not only
how much the new repro panels need worked when installing them - but that the original
sheetmetal on so many of these cars was never exactly "QC" to begin with, either.

He reworks bodies to correct issues with both factory and repro stuff just the same.
He's happy to have stuff from the likes of AMD because he knows where we'd be as a hobby
without them.

From chargerverts previous post it sounds like they are open and receptive to making changes in the tooling when incorrect is brought to their attention....that alone is a major thumbs up. Maybe if more took the time to submit inaccurates to the R and D team some problems would be simple to change. I am glad for all they make as my metal fab skills are on the low end.

To be clear, they asked us to test fit the e body fenders because they were not happy with the initial run. My friend did extensive test fitting on the 71 72 b body sheetmetal, most of which were templated from his stash of NOS and nice used parts. The parts are only as good as the parts that they are templated from. I loaned them my NOS 70 Charger front valance pan, and when I got it back it had what looked like plaster residue on it from them making a mold of the part. They had no intention of making 70 Charger front valance pans, but when I asked my friend to ask them if they wanted to use my NOS part to reproduce them,they accepted our offer. They really liked the idea of only tooling up once for the part. Usually they will not retool a part unless they have significant complaints about the fitment of the part. They prefer to do any retooling while the part is in the development process, before the part goes to market. If you have a nice used or NOS part you would like to see reproduced, it may be worth asking them if they are interested in reproducing the part. We have been turned down on quite a few parts that they deemed that there is not enough market to outweigh the costs of tooling and development. They are a business that wants to profit from the parts they sell, and as I was told, the Mopar parts as a total whole have yet to make a profit, the GM and Ford parts sales have made it possible for them to produce the Mopar line of parts.

AMD is great, this is how you tweak their $1000CDN door shells so they fit. The striker was only off by 5/8" (they cut the structure wrong), they told me to get stuffed when I wanted a new door. So I patched the old door structure and moved their skin to it. Nice they make the parts but they should put some effort into QC IMO.

charger20.JPG charger24.JPG

Just to make another point. Some of these cars have lead so rough lives and how one panel fits one car, the next car maybe not. We might be restoring a car that’s been repaired by Bubba. Or corn field rallied by Bubba. In my experience Bubba must have owned a lot of cars. Just one is a chevelle that I removed 4 quarter panels from the same car. And that car looked great!

For aftermarket parts I’m pretty happy with them. I’m also grateful they are available. These parts have made many many many of these cars possible to even be restored.
I’ve been restoring professionally for a long time. Pretty much all body panels need help whether it’s welding on an edge to tighten up a body gap, or making a cut and welding because a corner is off. All of that is pretty much standard unless you have a NOS piece. And there’s no guarantee that’s going to fit because a lot of service parts were factory 2nds.
Could be that the model part used to set up wasn’t 100% and no one knew.

Without AMD a lot of these cars and many many others would be done for.

give this man a cigar :fool:

I don't do metal/bodywork, but when I watch people that do (and are damn good at it) like
Chris Birdsong (Junkerup on YouTube), he goes into some pretty good detail about not only
how much the new repro panels need worked when installing them - but that the original
sheetmetal on so many of these cars was never exactly "QC" to begin with, either.

He reworks bodies to correct issues with both factory and repro stuff just the same.
He's happy to have stuff from the likes of AMD because he knows where we'd be as a hobby
without them.

yes, I love the videos from Chris Birdsong ( Junkerup) on YouToube
Very interesting and amazing work he do
I want send my charger the long way from Germany to him if he agree to rework them .

I have used quite a lot of AMD as well as some Sherman and Goodmark stuff and I have to say AMD is WAY better in almost every respect. Yes, I know people have issues with some of their stuff but it beats the crap out of the competition or hacked off originals. The fact that anyone actually invested the money to make any of this stuff is amazing in of itself. Its easy to bitch about their "lack of quality" but anyone who was building these cars back in the day realizes how much better it is now. People bitch about AMD not making this or that but they are a business and its all about revenue to remain in business.

All of these parts are made in dies, so how many parts can be made in a die before the die has to be refurbished or replaced and how much does that cost? We all love the rarity of these cars but that does not equate to significant revenue and no one wants to pay $2K or more for a fender.

I don't work for AMD, don't even know them but I have and will continue to buy their parts because despite any flaws it is far better than what it is replacing.
I know I would not bitch about AMD stuff, because '66, '67 b body sheetmetal is not exactly in high demand, so i had to take what I could find. Tony's mopar parts actually had two '67 Belvedere fenders that were in excellent shape, so I lucked out.

I just saw an ad for AMD showing 67 ply sheet metal
They are starting to come around. They had inner wheel houses for the '67 b bodies, but not the outers??? I believe they have quarter panels for them also, partial, I think. Trunk floor pan drop offs are not available, but, generic drop offs can be tweaked to work just fine.

20201209_145914-1.jpg
20201209_145700-1.jpg

My AMD 69 charger passenger side fender has the slot and fit good on the car . The drivers side AMD fender has the hole and didn't fit the car so well. Had to cut and weld in two places so far to get it to fit.
I got these fenders.a long time ago and had to wait over 6 months to get them. So I wasn't about to send it back. I still like them. and I'll make them work. Cause this is my hobby. I don't do this for a living.

Auto Transport Service
Back