• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why AMD fender have a double or “ long hole “ for the underhood bumper near cowl

Moparjack 489

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
68CC8D9D-8D03-4B22-8C5E-E7A62FD85B95.jpeg
F2CC078A-15AC-48A3-839C-9A6F2BA98591.png
Anyone knows why AMD make this “ incorrect “ in his Fenders . In my experience original fenders have just a round hole in it where I can install the small rubber bumper

may be for adjustment, my 2 cents. i went out to check my 69 coronet fender and it does have a round hole.

I have found their sheet metal to be very good. Why the inaccuracy there, I'm not sure, but how about this. So people can tell it's a reproduction fender. :)

I’ve seen Cuda fenders and decklid that were very unimpressive for the money they charge, they are better than nothing. They had to add metal to the edges to close the gaps.
:soapbox:

Good question on the long hole. I picked up some repops from them at their warehouse in Ga and talked with the counter guy a bit. He said they try to find original cars with factory stamping, take them apart there at the warehouse and begin to create exact repops. WHEN they are satisfied with a piece , the mould is sent to Taiwan where the parts are actually made. Tweeking from there is needed also. All research and development takes place there and parts made across the big pond. I bet someone there would have an answer for that non original stamping....hhhhhmmmnnnn

I’ve seen Cuda fenders and decklid that were very unimpressive for the money they charge, they are better than nothing. They had to add metal to the edges to close the gaps.
:soapbox:
I don't know if you have seen the current Cuda fenders,but the first batch that they released had issues. My friend and I test fitted them 15 times on my un hit un rotted Cuda,and had them fix a ton of issues with them. My friend is very meticulous, and was personally responsible for all of the 71/72 b body sheetmetal being reproduced. AMD went the distance and retooled them several times until my friend was happy with the finished product. All sheetmetal needs some tweaking and refinement when you are installing them of 50 year old cars that have been crashed and rotted and rebuilt, even NOS pieces.

View attachment 1034754 View attachment 1034753 Anyone knows why AMD make this “ incorrect “ in his Fenders . In my experience original fenders have just a round hole in it where I can install the small rubber bumper

Weld up the hole and drill one to the correct size. If that's the only issue, it's not that much of a big deal. We were not involved in test fitting the second generation Charger sheetmetal, and there are some issues with the pieces. I can tell you for sure that the 70 Charger front valance pans are spot on,because I let them use my NOS front valance pan to template them from.

I would love to see the factory in China where these parts are produced. ?

the trunk pans are slightly different also more holes and in slightly different places, i had a problem with my center body line on a drivers side fender being 3/4" too low, nothing a hammer and dolly didn't take care of. I left the inaccuracies there in the trunk pan and fender hole. no one has said anything about them yet. at least they make these parts. just make sure you peel off the made in taiwan sticker off the inside:D

Hell they can't even make a left & right mirror image. Just about everything I ordered for the back of my car nothing was the same left to right. The maddening thing was they were such easy fixes if they'd just taken the time to look at them. There must be zero quality control with this company.

Weld up the hole and drill one to the correct size. If that's the only issue, it's not that much of a big deal. We were not involved in test fitting the second generation Charger sheetmetal, and there are some issues with the pieces. I can tell you for sure that the 70 Charger front valance pans are spot on,because I let them use my NOS front valance pan to template them from.

yes, this is exactly what I want to do ....
But I give my charger to a „ professionell Shop in Germany , they only work on Mopars and i was thinking when not here where then ..,,
But anyways , the shop don’t interesting in fix this small issue , they just let it long and put the rubber bumper in it and take it to the paint shop .
I just see it later when the car was painted and assembled again , because when I touch this small rubber bumper it was very „ lose“ and „ slide“ ( of course the long hole ) .
I take the rubber bumper out and see the unprofessional **** what the „ Professionell „ shop has done

I have used quite a lot of AMD as well as some Sherman and Goodmark stuff and I have to say AMD is WAY better in almost every respect. Yes, I know people have issues with some of their stuff but it beats the crap out of the competition or hacked off originals. The fact that anyone actually invested the money to make any of this stuff is amazing in of itself. Its easy to bitch about their "lack of quality" but anyone who was building these cars back in the day realizes how much better it is now. People bitch about AMD not making this or that but they are a business and its all about revenue to remain in business.

All of these parts are made in dies, so how many parts can be made in a die before the die has to be refurbished or replaced and how much does that cost? We all love the rarity of these cars but that does not equate to significant revenue and no one wants to pay $2K or more for a fender.

I don't work for AMD, don't even know them but I have and will continue to buy their parts because despite any flaws it is far better than what it is replacing.

I was a tool and die maker, typically 10,000 parts is a min. before you see any wear. Specially with thin sheet metal. I hear what you're saying about being better than the others, but it's just crazy they couldn't be better for the very little extra work it would take. Kinda like not sanding down body filler before painting.

I was a tool and die maker, typically 10,000 parts is a min. before you see any wear. Specially with thin sheet metal. I hear what you're saying about being better than the others, but it's just crazy they couldn't be better for the very little extra work it would take. Kinda like not sanding down body filler before painting.

I agree with what you are saying but I think part of the problem is that the people making the parts have probably never seen any of these cars so there is that. I would agree that AMD should do better QA on the parts but having been in manufacturing myself I know that this is always a challenge and sometimes companies accept the risk for the reward. I am not making any excuse for them, rather I am suggesting that we should be happy there is something to complain about. If not, there would be far less cars out there as more and more of them would have been used for parts cars. Hell, a G2 Charger in about any shape is like $10K+ and that would not have happened without companies like AMD.

Yes, but exactly what 69 GTX say’s.
I not really can understand why if I so near to a perfect part I not give this little extra love to make it “ right” it’s not cost anything just you need to want it .
But yes, we can be happy that AMD do what they do

Probably a long shot, but I have heard, and seen that reproduction parts, even ones under Chrysler license , can not be exactly like an original part. Most stuff I buy reproduction, are like that. Very subtle things that most people would not notice. .......................MO

BTW has anyone noticed that those original factory bumpers are not all the same? Some have a small hole in the middle, some have no hole and can be a slightly different shape-size. ..........................MO

Sharpen up the QC and make them in the states and you’ll sell more and make more IMO :usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back