• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are hemi builds expensive?

magrima

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Honest question, why are hemi builds so much more expensive than most other builds? Have a 69 charger that I will eventually build an engine for and would love to get a Gen II 426 hemi block and build it to around 700HP, but every page says expect having to set aside 20-30k to do so. Whereas with a 440 you can do it for under or about 10-12k. Not even race grade, just a reliable cruiser that can lay it down once or twice at a strip or smoke these 5.0 ponies from time to time. I'd prefer not to go with a Gen III hemi, but for 15k I can get a brand new supercharged 392 hemi crate putting out that power so it almost makes me lean that way. But again that 426 is so appealing.

Probably because for every hemi there are 100 440's being built. Availability of parts is the only logical explanation. Just the block and heads will set you back as much as an entire 440 build.

Price out a hemi block (if you can find one), add some good hemi valve gear, and you pretty much have a wedge built. Just the way it is. Hemi tax, very similiar to the boat tax.

It's volume. Gen II 426 hemis were a short production run. Few engines built, few parts sold, fewer manufacturers making parts. Equals high price. The reverse for small block Chevy. Tons of them made, long production run.

You can bolt anything into the car. But the GENII Hemi will ALWAYS get the looks, the comments, and the cash later. That is a bit of why they cost more.
In addition the top end is unique and complicated in relation to wedges. And most use 2 carbs, doubling that cost. Then there's actually bolting it in - which again will cost more - although that's more due to low production and low conversion-to-Hemi rates.
IMO in a few years the older wedge and Hemi engines will be far more valuable as the GEN3 stuff gets more commonplace even in the old cars. So if it were me, I'd spend it if you had it. You will get it back on resale with the Elephant.

Pretty simple, HEMIS weren't pumped out in huge numbers like the 440's and were extremely popular in drag racing so what is out there isn't cheap. Most of us can't afford to buy aftermarket blocks and heads so we hunt down a good candidate for our build and that's where the problem starts, try finding an affordable HEMI to start with! You can buy 440's, 400's and 383's relatively cheap so most do and as a result parts become more available, companies compete and prices drop.

Myself, the Hellcat motor for the money is a no brainer.

Honest question, why are hemi builds so much more expensive than most other builds? Have a 69 charger that I will eventually build an engine for and would love to get a Gen II 426 hemi block and build it to around 700HP, but every page says expect having to set aside 20-30k to do so. Whereas with a 440 you can do it for under or about 10-12k. Not even race grade, just a reliable cruiser that can lay it down once or twice at a strip or smoke these 5.0 ponies from time to time. I'd prefer not to go with a Gen III hemi, but for 15k I can get a brand new supercharged 392 hemi crate putting out that power so it almost makes me lean that way. But again that 426 is so appealing.
The 392 is an awesome engine but there is something magical about popping the hood and seeing that elephant that almost makes it worth the money!

HEMI's are more expensive so 440 guys can feel good about themselves (and wallets) :rofl:

With the right sources, time & patience it can be done somewhat less expensive. If that can really be said in one sentence with the word HEMI. I have about $17,500 into mine with a combination of good used parts & many new parts. It took me several years of gathering parts but in the end it was worth it. Saved a lot of money, built it my way & it makes way more power than a crate engine & is still street friendly being a 10.5:1 pump gas engine.

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg rsz_rsz_20160507_120139.jpg

In 2018, you skip the GEN II and order a brand-new 707-HP Hellcat 6.2 from Mopar Performance for $14,995, it even comes with a great warranty. Leave it bone-stock, and drive it across the country. Needs an oil change or replacement part, pull into the nearest dealership.

The HEMI was mythical for its time, it used a bulletproof block and rotating assembly, along with having great flowing cylinder heads. Cylinder head flow was near 300-CFM @ .500" lift stock. Could reach well over 375-CFM @ .500" lift with port work (415+ CFM @ .700"). Pretty obvious why it was coveted, when the fabled '906' Wedge head flowed 215-CFM at the same lift. Wedge had more cubes, less flow, lower-RPM torque peak, great engine for a street car on polyglas tires to show off. Hemi, less cubes, dramatically more flow, high-RPM torque peak, huge power output if the owner builds the rest of the car to operate in its powerband. Factory HEMI was near 500-HP @ 6,000 RPM when it left the factory, with exhaust manifolds and accessories.

Sums up why it was / is more expensive. Today, why bother, Trickflow 270's and 512-cube wedge motor. Easy 700-HP combination with the right intake manifold and camshaft.

Last edited:
If it's a aftermarket build with good parts the only real cost difference is the valve train. Aftermarket block, cam, pistons, rods, crank, cam drive, oil pump, pan, pushrods, valve springs are identical in cost. Heads and intakes depend on what you get. That leaves rockers/stands and valve covers. Of couse a stock style 440 is much cheaper.
Doug

In 2018, you skip the GEN II and order a brand-new 707-HP Hellcat 6.2 from Mopar Performance for $14,995, it even comes with a great warranty. Leave it bone-stock, and drive it across the country. Needs an oil change or replacement part, pull into the nearest dealership.
I don’t see them listed at that price anymore. By the time you add on the front drive kit and PCM kit, you’re $20K plus. More like $25K

I've thought about the hellcat motor and there are plenty other engines and builds that can make that power easily. But there's something to be said about rolling up with a true hemi. My grandfather had a Daytona with the hemi and even the chevy guys gave respect lol I'm 24 and looking to keep that legend alive but I may have to compromise some or wait a couple more years to get the elephant.

Thanks for the responses all, nice reading everyones input

I could never ruin an old American Mopar musclecar with a 3rd Gen HEMI. To me it has to be old school. I understand the whole Pro touring thing is where it is at these days, just not my style. Fuel injection added to an old engine is okay once covered with the most Mopar air cleaners most can't tell anyway. I own a newer 2012 Challenger R/T with a 5.7L HEMI. As impressive as technology has come & I do enjoy driving it. It is just not the same to me.

IMG_0729.JPG
This is waiting to be revived & transplanted when it all comes together. If it's on your bucket list to do, bite the bullet. You will always wish you had, unless you do it. The new hemis will be around, and more available as time goes on, with even more power and improvements. We all know what happened to the dinosaurs...

Last edited:
I have the aftermarket TR6060. Damn good trans. Some surgery to make it fit but upgrading from the 727 3 speed, its a whole new animal.

It's a fantastic transmission, had the M6 (TR6060) in my SRT 392 Challenger. Rarely heard of any issues, same transmission the Viper & Hellcat used, basically only difference was the clutch.

Auto Transport Service
Back