• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does Canada have a Maple syrup reserve in the first place?

yella71

Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Are they holding it back for some reason? will there be a world war over this stuff? will there be Nukes? I saw some where there gonna open it up due to a shotage....

There was a huge scandal when it was found out that someone had been stealing drums of maple syrup from the stash, by the truck load to the tune of millions of dollars. I never even knew there was a reserve of syrup until I saw that news item.

We supply something like 70% of the world demand. We don't "hold back", its a "demand driven" market. HOWEVER, annual production often exceeds demand and, since it doesn't go bad, we stockpile the excess. If there's a bad year for production we can fall back on the reserves and maintain our global stranglehold instead of losing marketshare to anyone else with a maple tree.

For a good insight into the industry, watch the episode on the Netflix "Rotten" series.

I hate to be this way but as a Canadian I trust nothing that comes out of Quebec, most Mopars that come from Canada and have (ahem) shaky pasts come from there.

I hate to be this way but as a Canadian I trust nothing that comes out of Quebec, most Mopars that come from Canada and have (ahem) shaky pasts come from there.
Anytime we get a trade in from La Belle province we do double the due diligence as half the time they are stolen and re-vinned. I have had to tell numerous customers they are driving a vehicle worth nothing.

I remember when Quebec was going to remove itself from Canada. I thought, "Great, now it will be a shorter drive to the Maritimes." .
I hope this is not too political?

Mrs Butterworth syrup is fine by me. I may have use for it once every few years since I'm not really a pancake eater.

We go through maple syrup by the quart (litre) here. I actually prefer the cheap, dark stuff. It comes in a can that you have to punch a hole in. I think it tastes better. When wife, daughter, her fiancé, and I get together for a feed of blueberry pancakes we can go through half a quart, easy.

Mrs Butterworth syrup is fine by me. I may have use for it once every few years since I'm not really a pancake eater.
mrs butterwart's is nothing but caramel colored high fructose corn syrup. Mobil 1 synthetic oil would probably be better for you....oh boy.

Last edited:
Most of the "maple" syrup down here is corn syrup with a bunch of crap added to it. I belly up to the bar and buy the real stuff. Around 15.00 for a quart so ya, it is liquid gold.

This is what you'll find in my frigerator. A product of Canada.

20211218_165216.jpg

Born and raised in Quebec. I don't like maple syrup and won't eat it. Partly due to the fact that as a kid I'd pick up balls of horse crap and put it in the cans.

There was a huge scandal when it was found out that someone had been stealing drums of maple syrup from the stash, by the truck load to the tune of millions of dollars. I never even knew there was a reserve of syrup until I saw that news item.

This looks like a job for...................

latest?cb=20140419000925.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back